Why is ArmyTek maligned or ignored in this Forum?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the cost/performance value seems a little high and even as a Canadian, the shipping is pricey. The performance, issues and subsequent customer service interactions with some on this forums further widened the gap.

wweiss

Enlightened
Just reading, that somebodies are having problems with Armytek means zilch to me, I will never know what exactly they do or did to it and how they ab/used it. I had/have number of Armytek lights and never had problems in most extreme weather. To me their drivers and UI are topnotch and I had some fallen over 8 meters from second floor window to the concrete, every other light I had will be dead, not Armytek. My top recommendation for headlamp with probably Zebralight close behind. :twothumbs

I agree about the headlamps from AT. They also have a lot more tint options to order from within each model.

wweiss

Enlightened
As the OP, I can already see that there are as many opinions as there are lights - just about as with every other issue on CPF. Quality and reliability failures seem to bubble up to the top.

I do get the sense that there are either way more issues with AT "durability, QC promises", or that those that have been unlucky with AT are very irritated by them. Those that have had no problems, speak not about the virtues of the lights. Those that have had problems, speak out with a decided venting.

I understand a little more about how many opinions there are here and how they seem to be based on fact and not snob appeal for the esoterica.

That was what I wanted to know...

wweiss

Enlightened
I was obviously joking and playing on the fact that ATs marketing department likes to exaggerate:poke:.

I knew that...

Now, where should I have them send my marketing consultant's fee? My Hampton house, or, the Brownstone on Park Ave...

wweiss

Enlightened
Because they have very unreliable lights, deceptive marketing, exaggerated specs, and customer service and warranty support that is much more trouble then most companies.

And, for the record they are actually a Belarusian company that makes their lights in China and keeps a headquarters in Canada so they can claim they are a Canadian company.

As for the Prime C2 Pro XHP35 Warm, it is actually not a very good light. While it has a fairly nice body and good UI, it has a very inefficient driver and highly exaggerated specs(it's actual output is more then 30% less then AT advertises). I had one and it started to malfunction and failed in less then year with minimal use. Here is a review that shows it's poor performance...

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54675

There is an almost constant flow of reports of issues with failures and AT's customer service all over the internet. Even though they are just a small company there seems to be more reports then any other flashlight company. Personally, I have had three of their lights fail out of the four that I tried. All failed in less then a year with minimal use and not even a drop. My experience with there customer service wasn't great either and although they eventually replaced my lights, it was more of a hassle then any other company I have dealt with in my 25+ years of being a flashlight enthusiast. My last warranty claim took 2 months to resolve and I live in the same province as their headquarters. There are many people that have had similar experiences and these reports can be found here, other forums, Reddit, YouTube, etc. And, those are only the ones that weren't deleted at AT's request(they ask customers to delete videos off of YouTube after warranty work has been performed) or removed by moderators.

Honestly, I have tried a lot of flashlights and brands over my years as an enthusiast and Armytek is the only one I wish I never tried. I would never recommend them to anyone and imo there are a lot better options out there.

Thanks for the link - I read that review.

- Lower than average efficacy (lumens per watt)
- Gets hotter faster than other 1000 lumen lights
- Falls 33% short of manufacturer's output claims
- Strong pink tint on the higher modes (still better than green)
- Chirping noise from the blinking side switch with fresh batteries

Edited by: maukka on 06/01/2017 - 05:21

I basically agree with the verdict, but still like mine (12-5-2016 v3) a lot...

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my warm white V3 Predator Pro, it malfunctioned in an auspicious way, burned out the strobe in the first few hours that I had it, but suffered no further malfunctions.
The second Armytek light I got was a V3 warm HI Predator Pro, it failed spectacularly, now only comes on firefly or gives a brief flash.

After going through the extensive back and forth for warranty claim, including posting video proof of the malfunction, and video proof that it still happened when bypassing the tail switch, I balked at their request that I ship it back to China with "the least insurance" on the package... I'd spent about 90$ in the light and they wanted me to ship it back under insured... I didn't fully parse out their logic but it didn't sit well with me, I've got another 8 years on the
"No hassle warranty", so it sits on my shelf, I keep thinking of turning it into a host with a quality driver from Mountain Electronics.

I love the design of the Predator, they're really cool lights when the components and assembly come together to not make a lemon.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
One reason is if it breaks within warranty they demand a video showing the fault. It isn't always easy to do that with only phone video & it is a royal pita.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly am turned off by them because I don't want my flashlights to look like a NASCAR vehicle.

I fixed the garish lettering with bicycle inner tube a.k.a. "ranger bands" - gives the light some additional shock absorption as well, no more clacking when I set it down.
Predator or Viking with the longer 2x 18650 makes for a nice form factor and great heft, and runtimes.
Great trouble light for checking out bumps in the night.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
My Predator Pro just wouldn't work one night when I really needed it. Only lowest output came on. It had 2 brand new SF CR123A so I tried a protected and a unprotected 18650. Still only starter and stayed in lowest output.

Now I know it's undependable. I cleaned and lubed carefully using alcohol on contacts and nyogel on threads after cleaning still only low. Took out batteries left overnight and tried the next day same thing.

So I emailed dealer who blew me off to Armytek. They demanded video and even low looked bright on my phone cam so I gave up and threw it in a drawer for a month. Ran into it one day and decided to chuck it but tried a battery for laughs and it worked fine, magically. The thing is what good is it now? I can't sell it cuz I'm not a sleaze and don't want to waste batteries in a light I cannot depend on.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
recDNA,
Definitely don't "Chuck them", a defective Armytek that's too frustrating to deal with warranty will still make an awesome host for a top notch driver.
Someone should be rebuilding these puppies, I'm sure that there must be an elegant way to take advantage of the loosen/ tighten circuit pathways without strictly reverse engineering the Armytek setup.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Without a doubt, quality issues have kept me from really considering one. For a product that is touted as tough there certainly seems to be quite a few issues with some models.

Which is unfortunate because in certain forums out there people are strongly recommending them to virtually everyone and subsequently these folks buy them and come back months later to complain the light is broke...which in turn they either get lambasted or its just explained away as a lemon.

Not to say, I wouldn't ever buy one, but many of us look at our lights as investments and expect them to perform under any condition...and not necessarily light duty decor that adorns a drawer full of fragile lights.

harro

Enlightened
A lot of people subscribe to the ' once bitten, twice shy ' theory, and fair enough. A good friend went through the failure/bypass the tailcap/video proof/major hassle with getting any sort of customer service from Armytek, for his Predator Pro, and it also now sits unused.
I was far luckier with my Barracuda X-PL HI V2. Its only issue ( thusfar ) was a filthy, oily, very scratched piece of ' outhouse ' glass, that I assume Armytek class as 99.5% transperance ' Sapphire hard and clear ' lens glass. The lens is now clean, but still badly scratched. Everything else works fine, but you are always wondering when it will turn into a host.....
In Armytek's defence, they make an absolutely brilliant looking product. IMVHO, I don't think they have made a dud, looks wise. Some people are lucky, and get a reliable light, but from published tales of woe, a lot don't. If Armytek raised the standard of reliability of their lights to be on a par with just about every other major manufacturer, then they would be onto a winner.

wweiss

Enlightened
One reason is if it breaks within warranty they demand a video showing the fault. It isn't always easy to do that with only phone video & it is a royal pita.

That is a stupid and ridiculous requirement - I agree, a Royal Pita...

wweiss

Enlightened
A lot of people subscribe to the ' once bitten, twice shy ' theory, and fair enough. A good friend went through the failure/bypass the tailcap/video proof/major hassle with getting any sort of customer service from Armytek, for his Predator Pro, and it also now sits unused.
I was far luckier with my Barracuda X-PL HI V2. Its only issue ( thusfar ) was a filthy, oily, very scratched piece of ' outhouse ' glass, that I assume Armytek class as 99.5% transperance ' Sapphire hard and clear ' lens glass. The lens is now clean, but still badly scratched. Everything else works fine, but you are always wondering when it will turn into a host.....
In Armytek's defence, they make an absolutely brilliant looking product. IMVHO, I don't think they have made a dud, looks wise. Some people are lucky, and get a reliable light, but from published tales of woe, a lot don't. If Armytek raised the standard of reliability of their lights to be on a par with just about every other major manufacturer, then they would be onto a winner.

Agreed - their form factor is far and away better than many - like Emissar, etc. I'm seeing from you and all the others that that their reliability is really sketchy...

recDNA

Flashaholic
recDNA,
Definitely don't "Chuck them", a defective Armytek that's too frustrating to deal with warranty will still make an awesome host for a top notch driver.
Someone should be rebuilding these puppies, I'm sure that there must be an elegant way to take advantage of the loosen/ tighten circuit pathways without strictly reverse engineering the Armytek setup.
Ya but I have no such skill. Rather just buy another light that works. By the time I send it to Vinh and he mods it and sends back cheaper to just buy from his stock

Latest posts