why so much hate towards electric cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is really about the batteries , not so about cars themselves, they lack range, charging takes a lot longer than filling up, and gas stations are much more common than charging stations, if you run out of gas, you can get to a gas station fill a can, and fill your car, with electric car not so easy. there is also a factor of reduced range in a cold weather, so for now gas cars are more practical

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me it's not the hate of the vehicle, though they suck in many ways, it's them being forced upon me. Is the government or some green peace limousine liberal going to buy me one? Then sure, I don't care as much. And include the winter upgrades, and the charging stations. Buy me one, and then buy the replacement battery pack in a few years and then pay for anything else that goes wrong with it. I'm sure it won't last like my 77', 98', or 02's have. Buy it all for me electric car dudes and then I'll see how it works out. Then in the end, I'll thank you for being so generous and environmentally conscious if that's how it works out. Not sure the math does.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The math don't work for a lot things lately ampdude but that don't stop big brother from requiring it anyway. 'Lectric cars is the tip of the iceberg we are heading for at warp factor 2.

Charge at home almost always. Much less time spent "fueling" than on our gas car. Batteries will get better. Reliability is already superior to IC cars far less to fail though tires need work. Newer battery tech already good for 200K+ miles and claimbing. Governments are unrealistic about the transition times.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Our "genius" Mayor has decided 2035 will be the last year you can buy a brand new gasoline-powered vehicle in NYC. Yeah...... Let's just see what Big Oil has to say about that. (Honestly, with the one exception of standing up to the street thug leaders of the BLM movement early on when he was elected, he's screwed up constantly.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Charge at home almost always. Much less time spent "fueling" than on our gas car.
Yeah, one little problem with that.
Not everyone owns a house with a garage.
Heck, not everyone owns a house!
Also, yeah; gas stations are still faster to re-fuel.
Minutes instead of hours.
So, if you own a house, you can have an impressive EV.
For the rest of you peasants, you can make do with a sluggish hybrid.
Those are good enough for you.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
To me it's not the hate of the vehicle, though they suck in many ways, it's them being forced upon me.

If it were actually, overall, a "better mousetrap" (as the saying goes), customers themselves would be beating a path to their doors and dragging the makers and supporting industries along for the ride. Instead, in many nations, it's being dictated to people including flatly enacting drop-dead dates for the end of gas-powered vehicles.

It'd go down better if it were the marketplace driving things.

Far too many rice bowls stand to get broken, either way. Lots of incentive to withhold the full story about the complete and total cost of the various alternatives. (Including the extraction of raw materials, the cost of converting materials to usable assemblies and products, to the fueling, the operation, the emissions, and the recyclability, along with the utility in situations of power outages, floods, crashes, etc.)

Would still love to see an all-inclusive cost analysis of the several primary personal transportation options (fuel cell, electric, hybrid, gas/diesel), from "cradle to grave." Haven't seen them yet.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
CEO of dyson vacuums said their batteries in V models will last a decade minimum, lol i have a v10 for about 4 years, i just ordered 3rd battery. No doubt same will happen to car batteries that are promised to last 200k. Unless the warranty is for that much, (or about 15 years with average driving) in writing, specifically mentioning battery. those claims and promises are empty.

Yeah, one little problem with that.
Not everyone owns a house with a garage.
Heck, not everyone owns a house!
Also, yeah; gas stations are still faster to re-fuel.
Minutes instead of hours.
So, if you own a house, you can have an impressive EV.
For the rest of you peasants, you can make do with a sluggish hybrid.
Those are good enough for you.

We are in the early stages. I stated above the government transition timeline is incorrect. Won't happen, doomed to failure. We will, likely in not that long, have 1000km batteries. I do question whether battery swap will eventually in out. Quick fuelling.

My first electric was a plug in hybrid. Work at the time had a charging station. 75% of my mileage was electric and cheap.

Electricity prices have matched gas in increases over time and EVs are going to need to be taxed to pay for roads. However, over time, EV is just going to be the much cheaper way and gas stations will become less and less.

I worry more for my boat. That is not going electric any time soon. There are hydrofoil EV boats, but pricey. The duty cycle on battery usage is just not great for a boat. Another reason for the concept of standard swappable modules. I would love an electric boat if it had reasonable speed. I was looking into the viability of a 30hp fishing boat running electric. I think I would need 350lbs of battery. Typically "travelling" at 50-60% hp, and the electric would be far more efficient at trolling speeds.

billt460

Newly Enlightened
The "hate" isn't against the electric cars. It's against the government that's pushing them. You know, the same government that's pushing a vaccine on everyone. When neither were, or are ready for prime time.

billt460

Newly Enlightened
Here is a little bit more common sense information, that is somehow always avoided or lost when EV's are being discussed.... As of now a little over 1% of the vehicles used on the road today are electric. That means almost 99% of vehicle owners drive gasoline or Diesel fueled cars.

Look at electric car history….

1). In 1832 Robert Anderson develops the first crude electric vehicle.

2). It wasn't until 1890 that William Morrison came out with the first practical electric vehicle / wagon.

3). In 1901 Edison sets out to improve battery technology.

4). 1900 to 1912, A full one third of vehicles sold were electric.

Then.... By 1935 electric cars were dead, due to the availability of oil. By the late 60s to the early 70s, gas prices were somewhat higher, and it once again sparked some interest in electric vehicles. Then, once again when prices went down, so did that interest.

Then in 1997, (26 years ago), Toyota came out with the first Hybrid / Prius. Then in 2006, (17 years ago), Tesla starts with a 200 mile range car. Today, there are approximately 23 plug-in electric, and 36 hybrid gas/electric models available.

Throughout all of this gas prices have continued to climb. And yet, in spite of all of this renewed interest and improvement in electric vehicles, almost a full 99% of said vehicles on the road today are STILL gas-fueled cars.

Point being, if something was that wonderful, it wouldn't take 190 years to "capture" a whopping 1% of the market share over everything else that's being sold. In short, electric vehicles are nothing new.

And now they are being totally overhyped by a bunch of "green" environmentalists. Who always manage to replace facts and common sense, with crazed ideology. Along with government mandates and regulations.

Instead of allowing capitalism, along with the free market to do its job. Government mandates work no better at promoting sales, than the electric vehicles they're trying so desperately to push on the American public.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "hate" isn't against the electric cars. It's against the government that's pushing them. You know, the same government that's pushing a vaccine on everyone.
Not sure why it was vaccination that got anyone's panties in a twist when government's been compelling school attendance since the mid-19th century, income tax since the Civil War, and drafted men into the military between 1948 and 1973, compelling licenses to drive, as well as vehical registration, fuel tax, sales tax, not to mention forcing us to obey laws under threat of prosecution, fines and incarceration, but I guess a pin prick was the last straw.

billt460

Newly Enlightened
Not sure why it was vaccination that got anyone's panties in a twist when government's been compelling school attendance since the mid-19th century, income tax since the Civil War, and drafted men into the military between 1948 and 1973, compelling licenses to drive, as well as vehical registration, fuel tax, sales tax, not to mention forcing us to obey laws under threat of prosecution, fines and incarceration, but I guess a pin prick was the last straw.
Well it's not so hard to understand when you come to the stern realization that income tax, vehicle registrations, fuel tax, and drivers licenses don't cause myocardial problems and / or paralysis in young people, in amounts over 100 fold of what all the other vaccines ever administered have since the dawn of time. And they're not injected into your body.

ALL of which were far better tested and researched BEFORE they were dumped, then pushed on the market to a public that was told by the President Of The United States, if they weren't getting them, "They were killing people!"

But once again we have these same false ideologies in place by people who love government, along with regulations and mandates forcing them into things they don't want.

And that neither one has turned out as wonderful as they're made out to be. And both, (vaccines and EV's), are being pushed on a public that many simply want no part of.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't cause myocardial problems and / or paralysis in young people, in amounts over 100 fold of what all the other vaccines ever administered have since the dawn of time.
I guess you mean those temporally, like falling asleep on your arm and it being paralyzed. 224,113,439 vaccinations, maybe 5000 serious adverse reactions, or 0.00216%. That is a risk, and thems just the breaks, that the well-being of 224M people massively outweighs that of 5K, but there weren't even 5K, that is just an estimation. There were 54 known cases that met the criteria of myocarditis, or 0.00002411%. You should be more worried about being struck by lightning twelve times, because you'd have a greater chance of that happening than you would of any COVID vaccine giving you or your child heart problems.

Last edited:

billt460

Newly Enlightened
I guess you mean those temporally, like falling asleep on your arm and it being paralyzed. 224,113,439 vaccinations, maybe 5000 serious adverse reactions, or 0.00216%. That is a risk, and thems just the breaks, that the well-being of 224M people massively outweighs that of 5K, but there weren't even 5K, that is just an estimation. There were 54 known cases that met the criteria of myocarditis, or 0.00002411%. You should be more worried about being struck by lightning three times.
Do you honestly think all of these people are lying? Or that physicians who spent years in medical schools, earning PHDs in their craft, are all "misinformed", or are just, "conspiracy theorists" who are jumping to conclusions?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
We are in the early stages. I stated above the government transition timeline is incorrect. Won't happen, doomed to failure. We will, likely in not that long, have 1000km batteries. I do question whether battery swap will eventually in out. Quick fuelling.

My first electric was a plug in hybrid. Work at the time had a charging station. 75% of my mileage was electric and cheap.

Electricity prices have matched gas in increases over time and EVs are going to need to be taxed to pay for roads. However, over time, EV is just going to be the much cheaper way and gas stations will become less and less.

I worry more for my boat. That is not going electric any time soon. There are hydrofoil EV boats, but pricey. The duty cycle on battery usage is just not great for a boat. Another reason for the concept of standard swappable modules. I would love an electric boat if it had reasonable speed. I was looking into the viability of a 30hp fishing boat running electric. I think I would need 350lbs of battery. Typically "travelling" at 50-60% hp, and the electric would be far more efficient at trolling speeds.
That's great that your job had a station for your plug-in Hybrid. But realistically, not an option for everyone. Apartment dwellers are stuck with traditional hybrids that are slow and sluggish. Which gets worse over time. No one seems to care to actually find a realistic solution for the masses. And, outdoor charging stations aren't it. Especially not when you have to wait around for roughly 45 minutes to charge up a Plug-in hybrid, due to not having a house. Assuming there isn't someone already occupying the charging station. So you wait on them too.

Thank you for admitting that EVs are still in the early stages. Let's face it, new tech. plus corporate greed means let's release it NOW. Promote it NOW. Worry about the infrastructure for charging stations, LATER. Here we see how human-beings are disgustingly predictable. When the not-huge floppy disk came out, it was ridiculously fragile. Where's all your data? Oh, see that extremely tiny, nearly microscopic crease on the plastic in that one corner? Yeah, your data is gone!

Probably the most moronic piece of computer tech. ever released to the Public. And I'm willing to bet the guy who came up with the idea made millions for the company he worked for. Including a tidy sum for himself. Countless other examples I can cite. It's great that EVs will be the answer.... many significant years down the road. I'm going to need a new car in the next 2-3 years.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you honestly think all of these people are lying?
No, absolutely not. I just think that they are not credible.

When the not-huge floppy disk came out, it was ridiculously fragile. Where's all your data?
The 5.25-inch floppy disk was available in different capacities: 360 KB low density, 160 KB single sided and 1.2 MB high density. I'm currently RAIDing and backing up offsite (and this is a massively pedestrian amount) more than 600,000 times more than the most data a 5.25-inch floppy could hold. I don't why. Data just collects and it may be useful someday or not, but it's cheap to keep. And I still have a small handful of 5.25-inch floppies and 3.5-inch diskettes, and no way to read them. LOL. The first thing I do when I get a vintage computer is remove the nasty floppy drive. Some people think they're neat and restore them, but I don't waste my time. Floppies were pretty fragile, but once in a while one would sustain a massive amount of abuse and still produce its data.

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
billt460 - Thank you for your well written post on EV cars. I'm in my 60's now and have no issue with new tech at all. BUT I will only buy new tech if it makes my life better or easier. I am definitely not an early adopter. I get really mad though when something is foisted upon me by scientific illiterates. EV cars might make sense to some people but here in the UK we are not creating the new infrastructure they need and far from building new power stations, we are actually closing them down. You may have read that we are seriously talking about "rolling blackouts" with the current needs of 60 million people. And yet, by 2035 we won't be able to buy any new petrol/diesel cars. Despite big words from our leaders, the truth is that we have no idea where all this extra power is coming from. I have personal views on what the real agenda is (that I won't repeat here) and it sure is not what we are being told.

AS far as COVID is concerned, before I had my jabs, my health was fine. Since then, my joints hurt constantly. Coincidence perhaps but I'm not buying it. Talk of the good of the many is usually repeated by people who made it through in one piece.

billt460

Newly Enlightened
billt460 - Thank you for your well written post on EV cars. I'm in my 60's now and have no issue with new tech at all. BUT I will only buy new tech if it makes my life better or easier. I am definitely not an early adopter. I get really mad though when something is foisted upon me by scientific illiterates. EV cars might make sense to some people but here in the UK we are not creating the new infrastructure they need and far from building new power stations, we are actually closing them down. You may have read that we are seriously talking about "rolling blackouts" with the current needs of 60 million people. And yet, by 2035 we won't be able to buy any new petrol/diesel cars. Despite big words from our leaders, the truth is that we have no idea where all this extra power is coming from. I have personal views on what the real agenda is (that I won't repeat here) and it sure is not what we are being told.

AS far as COVID is concerned, before I had my jabs, my health was fine. Since then, my joints hurt constantly. Coincidence perhaps but I'm not buying it. Talk of the good of the many is usually repeated by people who made it through in one piece.
It is much the same here. Places like California, (the state that is pushing electric everything the most), already has a power grid that is on the verge of collapse. And yet they they want to stop selling ICE powered vehicles by 2035.... And despise nuclear power.

Most other liberal progressive states are the same. Especially along the Eastern Seaboard. This is being pushed by progressive liberalism, not science. As I showed in my above post, electric cars are nothing new. They've been around, in one form or another, for well over a century.

They are basically nothing more than a solution to a non existent problem. Much like gun control it, (and EV's), will accomplish nothing except for mass inconvenience, without improving a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.