Why the current obsession with Turbo Mode??

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumen sells. And this has resulted in unfair lumen claims. An updated version of a light can have twice the output than the predecessor and with same claimed runtime. But while the predecessor really has stable output for the stated runtime the updated version runs for a few minutes and then drops to 60% or so.
While the new model according to the specs seems to have doubled performance the difference in practise is pretty small. It's a pity, and this fraud is justified by the ANSI-NEMA FL-1 standard.
Consequently manufacturers should NOT be proud to present the specifications according to the FL-1 standard.

Last edited:

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Cars can't maintain their maximum horsepower or speed for very long either, nor can humans.

Maybe it's time for us to demand that manufacturers also state the maximum SUSTAINABLE output and the corresponding run time.

What's even more important is to state the CRI level.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumen sells. And this has resulted in unfair lumen claims. An updated version of a light can have twice the output than the predecessor and with same claimed runtime. But while the predecessor really has stable output for the stated runtime the updated version runs for a few minutes and then drops to 60% or so.
While the new model according to the specs seems to have doubled performance the difference in practise is pretty small.

Swedpat: I'm a little confused about that last phrase -- "the difference in practice is pretty small". Are you saying that, for example, all other things being equal, a light that puts out 1000 ANSI lumens won't appear a good deal brighter than one that puts out 500 ANSI lumens (obviously, it won't look like double, given the eye's non-linear response)? If I tend to use turbo mode in 30 second bursts -- the way a huge number of people do -- you truly get a 2x lumen top end, right? "A few minutes" of top-end is all that's needed, in a huge number of use cases; IMO the difference in practice is significant and welcome, at least to a pretty big % of people who use the light this way. Obviously, not useful to someone who wants to run in the highest mode for 30 minutes at a time... And actually, I'd ask the opposite of CarlF's question for that, I don't understand the use cases for running in highest mode for even 10 minutes (beyond police, military, S&R type use cases)

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked the question as I couldn't see any why the need. But I also asked if anyone had any use for the modes. Some, including yourself, have stated what they use them for.

ETTO and all that. :)

Actually, to be fair, I waxed philosophical about the question itself, but didn't give you the use cases you asked for. I use turbo mode: to find my cats in the back yard, to find something in the garage (or any other large room that isn't lit well), when I get home to a dark house, nearly any time I'm outside in the dark and want to see more than 20 feet away (camping, just out for a walk, in flashes to walk the dog, etc). I rarely use the light for more than a couple of minutes in these use cases, and even during those couple of minutes, many times might be using it in momentary

ThatPhotoGuy

Newly Enlightened
Dubious marketing practices aside, I can appreciate a temporary turbo mode when needed. For example, most of the time I use my EDC on one of the lower modes but the other night I was forced to park in a particularly dark area of a friends apt complex. I was definitely grateful that I could kick that little light up to 300 lumens for the couple minutes needed to get to my car. Not only could I find my way but I could have blinded anyone with ill intent.

That said I do wish manufacturers would be more clear in their marketing. But that is like wishing for clouds to turn into cotton candy and rain chocolate milk.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swedpat: I'm a little confused about that last phrase -- "the difference in practice is pretty small". Are you saying that, for example, all other things being equal, a light that puts out 1000 ANSI lumens won't appear a good deal brighter than one that puts out 500 ANSI lumens (obviously, it won't look like double, given the eye's non-linear response)? If I tend to use turbo mode in 30 second bursts -- the way a huge number of people do -- you truly get a 2x lumen top end, right? "A few minutes" of top-end is all that's needed, in a huge number of use cases; IMO the difference in practice is significant and welcome, at least to a pretty big % of people who use the light this way. Obviously, not useful to someone who wants to run in the highest mode for 30 minutes at a time... And actually, I'd ask the opposite of CarlF's question for that, I don't understand the use cases for running in highest mode for even 10 minutes (beyond police, military, S&R type use cases)

I understand your reasoning. I mean that while the brightness of a certain model is claimed to be doubled and with maintained runtime the brightness is twice only for a very short time. The brightness can be regulated after that for the stated runtime but maybe only 20% brighter than a predecessor. Consequently the successor which is claimed to be twice as bright is under the main part of the runtime just very slightly brighter(barely noticeable for the eyes). This is what I mean is misleading marketing.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
In other words, to some, a light that starts out at 1000 lumens but quickly steps down to 300 lumens either due to heat or power is essentially no different from a 300 lumen light, except it's marketed and priced as a 1000 lumen light.

CarlF

Newly Enlightened
In other words, to some, a light that starts out at 1000 lumens but quickly steps down to 300 lumens either due to heat or power is essentially no different from a 300 lumen light, except it's marketed and priced as a 1000 lumen light.

That's a good analogy and way of putting it. :)

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Morning all.

Although I have a lot of torches I am wondering why manufacturers seem to quote such high lumen outputs when it is from a turbo mode that will only last a couple of mins or so before stepping down quite considerably.

I prefer to buy lights that are quite simple to operate and would rather just have a high mode that runs for longer than a turbo mode that will only work briefly.

Does anyone have an actual use for such modes or is it purely just to 'willy-wave' number of lumens?

I've heard some say for law enforcement and military. But, being military myself, we don't generally stick anything on a weapon or use in self defence that is over 400 lumen. This on a brief flash into the eyes or strobe mode is more than enough to disorientate any would be assailant.

Does anyone on here have a practical use for such high, but brief outputs?

Also are there any torches that will run their turbo mode without stepping down for a decent duration?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the latest breed of torches and was a bit perplexed at the latest offerings. I've just bought a zebralight SC600 MKIII HI which should arrive today. But the 1300lumen in that will only last a couple of mins before stepping down.

Regards

Carl. :)

:thumbsup: :crackup:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Morning all.

Although I have a lot of torches I am wondering why manufacturers seem to quote such high lumen outputs when it is from a turbo mode that will only last a couple of mins or so before stepping down quite considerably.

I prefer to buy lights that are quite simple to operate and would rather just have a high mode that runs for longer than a turbo mode that will only work briefly.

Does anyone have an actual use for such modes or is it purely just to 'willy-wave' number of lumens?

I've heard some say for law enforcement and military. But, being military myself, we don't generally stick anything on a weapon or use in self defence that is over 400 lumen. This on a brief flash into the eyes or strobe mode is more than enough to disorientate any would be assailant.

Does anyone on here have a practical use for such high, but brief outputs?

Also are there any torches that will run their turbo mode without stepping down for a decent duration?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the latest breed of torches and was a bit perplexed at the latest offerings. I've just bought a zebralight SC600 MKIII HI which should arrive today. But the 1300lumen in that will only last a couple of mins before stepping down.

Regards

Carl. :)
I know there are lots of replies already. But I'm amazed that you need to ask such a question, and are unable to answer it yourself. It's not exactly rocket science, more common sense and obvious.

CarlF

Newly Enlightened
I know there are lots of replies already. But I'm amazed that you need to ask such a question, and are unable to answer it yourself. It's not exactly rocket science, more common sense and obvious.

Unfortunately my balls are gristle not crystal. So I can't surmise or gather what others use the turbo mode for.....

I understand the marketing etc. Just not others uses. But thanks for the input!!

arKmm

Enlightened
For the layman, usually it comes down to marketing. Which is why THIS COMMERCIAL is a brilliant marketing ploy.

Isn't this just a re-badged version of the super cheap XML-T6 zoomable we see on eBay constantly? :)

When I was browsing the other day, I noticed a load of sellers are claiming they do 5000 lumen now apparently! In reality OTF is going to be no more than 400 probably

Unfortunately my balls are gristle not crystal. So I can't surmise or gather what others use the turbo mode for.....

I understand the marketing etc. Just not others uses. But thanks for the input!!

I've been trying to access CPF all morning. That comment made the effort worthwhile. :lolsign:

I love turbo mode. :paypal: It's just the ticket for a great deal of my flashlight needs. I'll show myself out.

~ Chance

beggindogs

Newly Enlightened
'Well drain my battery and call me powerless!'--If you want a high lumen turbo without step down get a Convoy L6. Don't burn your hand...

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
There really is an obsession with more and more lumens (turboooo) on more and more compact size.
I'm a part from majority, I like (small) flashlights which have many lumens, only if it is for (very) short period, in most of the time I use the lowest settings, but I like to know that I can have a burst/turbo mode for a short period.

Even if I have some good flashlights, in real life situations till now the most reliable flashlights for me was and still are - Fenix TK15 R5 (330 lumens) and a cheap head flashlight (I think 20 lumens) .
The benefits - good constant runtime, plenty light on high and turbo (constant!) , compact size, I don't have the fear that I can leave it Turbo mode and will melt (if I'm drunk or simply forgot), I don't have to make any instructions to my wife or some other persons ("don't keep on max mode!! in 2-3 minutes will be hot!!")

But...in unreal life situations I like a lot for example Acebeam K60 with 5000 lumens on turbo :) It's calm me down when I light in the night :) even for few minutes, it's gorgeous

Last edited: