Wicked Lasers 445nm <1W Spyder III Pro Arctic Series

Re: Wicked Lasers 445nm 1W(!) portable deathray

In the mean time automobiles and kitchen knives continue to be vastly more lethal and maiming than this laser.:rolleyes:

The difference is you need a license to drive a car, and a kitchen knife cannot blind or burn someone from who knows how far away, a 100 meters, a mile, more? For a knife to cause significant damage you, generally speaking, must intend to do that damage, not simply press a button.

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened

Word is Alqaida is ordering a bunch to do sabotage in the US.

Think about it, silent but dangerous weapon.

" At this level of irradiance, skin exposure to the intense blue laser light can possibly cause cancer. Do not allow bare skin to be exposed, including your face when wearing safety goggles, to light diffusely reflected from any surface closer than several inches. This laser is a thousand times stronger than sunlight on skin and any type of exposure should be avoided whether it be from the collimated beam or close exposure to its bright diffused reflections."

I predict after a batch of em are sold they will no longer be available.

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Old news :nana:

BTW, red LED, not LEDs. Talk to some of the GB headers, look like PL red large die.

And I predict this is an intro offer to get these out in the public. Then they'll show up on youtube, but by that time, the intro price of 197 will be gone and it will instead be 1000, like all their other lasers.

Do you know that if you didn't want that 1W of blue but only had $200, you'd have to settle for 0.005W of blu-ray? That's like owning a gun store and saying "you can buy this here .177 Daisy Red Ryder, it's $200. We also just got a shipment of these .50 M82A1's for $200. Take your pick"

Per-Sev

Enlightened

I just called Wicked Laser and she told me that they are about a week away from completion so when there website says in stock they are not according to the girl I spoke to. I did not have to wait long to speak to someone I guess they fixed the problem. I also asked if the safety glasses would fit over my glasses and she could answer that question she said call back later and talk to Jim in tech support.

RepProdigious

Enlightened

Wow, someone is really going to use one of these in a irresponsible and dangerous way! People will get hurt!

Now ill go out and buy one myself, how friggin cool would i look lighting my cigar with one of these bouncing the beam between mirrors in my room :grin2: :poke:

:popcorn:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Word is Alqaida is ordering a bunch to do sabotage in the US.

Think about it, silent but dangerous weapon.
There are better ways. It's not terribly easy to hit someone's eye at sabotage ranges. And the moment you cut it on, bright blue. Thank goodness this laser's in the visible range. UV lasers scare me.

paulr

Flashaholic

This is crazy. It is MUCH more likely than a handgun to injure someone. A person can be blinded not only by direct exposure, but also by the beam reflecting off any shiny surface. What will they sell next--nerve gas? What is a legitimate use of a laser like this? Screwing around with it to light cigarettes is just nuts. I'm no lawyer but this device sounds like a recipe for what I think is called a "strict liability tort".

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been reading along and following this too. I have a couple of questions perhaps somebody can answer for me: :poke:

1. As asked before me, really, what would you use this for? So far I've heard: to show off, to light a cigar, and burn bugs...

2. Just how dangerous is it? Yes, it could permanetly blind you and burn your skin, but how quickly? Would the laser have to be placed less than an inch away for 10 minutes, or is more like instantainiously up to 100 yards?

3. And this goes along with the other two, will it go through clothes or anything else? Would it be good for self defense?

Forgive me for my ignorance with lasers. I really do not know the answers to these questions. Being compared to a firearm and a cigar lighter are two quite different things. :thinking:

paulr

Flashaholic

2. Just how dangerous is it? Yes, it could permanetly blind you and burn your skin, but how quickly? Would the laser have to be placed less than an inch away for 10 minutes, or is more like instantainiously up to 100 yards?
Instaneous (faster than the blink reflex, that's what makes these things so dangerous), essentially unlimited distance, including reflections off things.
3. And this goes along with the other two, will it go through clothes or anything else? Would it be good for self defense?
Probably useless, like sticking a pin in the person. If you want a handgun, buy one and get proper training in using it.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can instantly and permanently blind anyone whose eyes you can touch with the beam. I'd call that 'excessive force.' It puts 1 watt of heat on a small spot - I'm not sure exactly how fast that will burn, but I can feel the heat from a 3-watt flashlight if I touch the bezel to my skin.

It is probably not easy to hit someone with this. Also, it may not be instant blindness, but their retina will be damaged and they will go blind over the next dozen hours from momentary exposure.

IMSabbel

Enlightened

Instaneous (faster than the blink reflex, that's what makes these things so dangerous), essentially unlimited distance, including reflections off things.
Probably useless, like sticking a pin in the person. If you want a handgun, buy one and get proper training in using it.

Okay, working around x-ray and visible lasers, lets dissect this myth:

a) instantaneous: OK. That is true. For a localized spot on the retina. A drop of acetone hitting your eye could be worse.

b) faster than the blink reflex: Yes, if you aim it right through your pupil and then switch it on. Any other way might trigger the blink reflex before the main mode enters your eye

c1) Infinite range: Well, because maybe 15m it will be bigger than the pupil of the eye, so any further distance will reduce the power by r^2. At 150m its the level of a typical laser pointer at short range
c2) c1 requires a steady hold. Without a tripot, at longer distances the entering time of the eye by the laser is likely to be limited in the ms region, rendering it harmless

d) reflections dont matter: If you use polished, flat metal or a mirror. Any other way will fasten the dispersion enormously.

Yes, it is NO toy, and it should NOT be placed in the hands of children (as well as adults who think everybody can be used as "self defense weapon").
But everybody is working with MUCH more dangerout stuff everyday (especially since the unlimited range is bullshit). And what i find even more bewildering this agitation by americans who do not seem to have a single problem with having a gun instead?!.

By creating that image of the death ray thats more dangerous that a gun you will only draw the wrong people to such stuff. The ones that are bored if its not even sorching white paper and than try to aim it at their buddy.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I sit very corrected - I'll spread the right stuff next time lasers come up.

nanomu

Newly Enlightened

Yes, if you aim it right through your pupil and then switch it on.

Sadly, this is exactly how many people get hurt by lasers. :sigh:

I'm with most other commenters that this product is an accident and lawsuit waiting to happen. Assuming it comes with appropriate safety lockouts and WARNINGS, it's really the buyers/users own fault if someone gets hurt.

Regardless of how this is being marketed, a laser is NOT a self defence device or a toy.

To those who did order this and know what they're doing: be safe and enjoy your new "not a toy"! :twothumbs

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the information.

paulr: [off-topic content removed - DM51] I would agree with you [off-topic content removed - DM51]

IMSabbel: Great information, but [remainder of off-topic rant removed - DM51]

Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened

Okay, working around x-ray and visible lasers, lets dissect this myth:

a) instantaneous: OK. That is true. For a localized spot on the retina. A drop of acetone hitting your eye could be worse.

b) faster than the blink reflex: Yes, if you aim it right through your pupil and then switch it on. Any other way might trigger the blink reflex before the main mode enters your eye

c1) Infinite range: Well, because maybe 15m it will be bigger than the pupil of the eye, so any further distance will reduce the power by r^2. At 150m its the level of a typical laser pointer at short range
c2) c1 requires a steady hold. Without a tripot, at longer distances the entering time of the eye by the laser is likely to be limited in the ms region, rendering it harmless

d) reflections dont matter: If you use polished, flat metal or a mirror. Any other way will fasten the dispersion enormously.

Yes, it is NO toy, and it should NOT be placed in the hands of children (as well as adults who think everybody can be used as "self defense weapon").
But everybody is working with MUCH more dangerout stuff everyday (especially since the unlimited range is bullshit). And what i find even more bewildering this agitation by americans who do not seem to have a single problem with having a gun instead?!.

By creating that image of the death ray thats more dangerous that a gun you will only draw the wrong people to such stuff. The ones that are bored if its not even sorching white paper and than try to aim it at their buddy.

You are greatly under-emphasizing the danger this laser poses.

You say "...any further distance will reduce the power by r^2".
I wouldn't have said it that way but that's essential right. The power decreases by four times every doubling of the beam radius.

But you don't know what the beam divergence is. So how can you determine the beam radius at any given distance?? If you don't know divergence you can't calculate the power/cm^2 at a given range. So your distance/power estimates don't hold any value.

This Maximum Permissible Exposure graph is so telling about how fast damage can occur. This is a 1000mw (1 Joule/second) laser. Even with a beam area of 1 cm^2, we're talking about damage from exposure on a time scale of something like .001 seconds.

And don't forget this warning...

Blue-light Hazard is defined as the potential for a photochemical induced retinal injury resulting from radiation exposure at wavelengths primarily between 400 nm and 500 nm. The mechanisms for photochemical induced retinal injury are caused by the absorption of light by photoreceptors in the eye. Under normal conditions when light hits a photoreceptor, the cell bleaches and becomes useless until it has recovered through a metabolic process called the visual cycle. Absorption of blue light, however, has been shown to cause a reversal of the process where cells become unbleached and responsive again to light before it is ready. This greatly increases the potential for oxidative damage. By this mechanism, some biological tissues such as skin, the lens of the eye, and in particular the retina may show irreversible changes induced by prolonged exposure to moderate levels of UV radiation and short-wavelength light.

Anyway, I have a 125mw PHR-803T laser from Jayrob and that's dangerous enough for me as it is. I am genuinely worried for the people who will be 'playing' with this laser. Really.

BTW.... Your comparison to American gun ownership is an opinion we're better off discussing elsewhere.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not very familiar with lasers "only have a Wicked Lasers Core 5mw laser" how does the visibility of the beam on the Artic series compare to a green laser? I thought green lasers were the easiest ones to see of all the colors. How much less visible are blue laser VS. green lasers? For example how much brighter "visibly" is the 1 watt blue laser over say a 100mw green laser:confused:?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

Other companies are producing lasers using the diode taken from this projector as well, like this one with a slightly more modest enclosure:
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=109

EDIT: The page for the 1 watt laser is no longer on the Novalasers sight, but If you go into the "portable lasers" section the "atlantis" 1 watt laser is still there. However, if you click on the link, there is no page for it.

Last edited:

Soul_Feast

Newly Enlightened

Ouch! Reflections don't matter!? Reflections off water with this is 3-5% that's still 30-50mW! Glass? Up to 12%, that's 120mW!!! Over 5mW has the possibility to blind you (I got that from LPF, and the >5mW blinding you I got from every laser site, and every laser source I've seen). Also, this specific BLUE light has been known to cause serious optical issues, it has been noted that people start to lose their sensitivity to green with the amount of blue exposure seen here, actually with much less power than this. That's why at hospitals they aren't using blue anymore. High levels of blue are dangerous, ESPECIALLY HERE!! 1000mW of blue! Also, about the 5mW thing, 1%, just 1% is still 10mW! So, for this to NOT blind you, you need to be 'recieveing' <0.5% of the light, to be under 5mW. That means, don't shine platic bottles, no glass, no metal, water, NOTHING at ALL reflective. So all you got...is wall left. And then you have the issue of all the blue light. Safety glasses aren't an option here, they are NECESARY!!! Do NOT go around 'showing it off'.

Fat Boy

Enlightened

I'm confused, I thought Lasers of this class could not be purchased in the US. Was that law(restriction) changed?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not very familiar with lasers "only have a Wicked Lasers Core 5mw laser" how does the visibility of the beam on the Artic series compare to a green laser? I thought green lasers were the easiest ones to see of all the colors. How much less visible are blue laser VS. green lasers? For example how much brighter "visibly" is the 1 watt blue laser over say a 100mw green laser:confused:?
Damn, Juggernaut beat me to that question
(I planned to pose when back from work today)
;)

Q1: is this more power in blue "better" than a "normal" higher power greenie (100 mW, or so)?
I mean, when burning something is the main purpose - which with a 1 W must be the main purpose - why not use a Laser in pure form?
When there is a diode that makes a wavelenght of X, which is then shortened by a crystal and another shortened by another crystal to receive red/green/blue/... in the end, why not use the "original" diode without any of the wavelenght-crystals?

Q2: is this something like with led?
newer laser diode, being more efficient and thus getting brighter and more rugged?