Wicked Lasers 445nm <1W Spyder III Pro Arctic Series

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Re: Wicked Lasers 445nm 1W(!) portable deathray

yellow,

Q1: This is a laser in "pure form", 445nm wavelength (blue) is what's coming straight out of the diode. Green lasers on the other hand, use infrared diodes (invisible) and send the beam through crystals to convert it into green.

Q2: Pretty much yeah. Casio needed this diode for their projector, so there was a significant financial motive to develop and mass produce them.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast

After doing a little research, I have determined that while this laser produces around 1 watt of power the human eye will only perceive it as bright as a 50mw green laser, so as far as having a high intensity beam "for viewing" there are much better and cheaper alternatives. However it has much higher burning capability compared to a green laser, even a green laser of 1000mw power will not be even comparable to this monster.

LOL, who changed the title to "Portable Deathray":crackup:?!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm confused, I thought Lasers of this class could not be purchased in the US. Was that law(restriction) changed?

There are restrictions. Wicked Lasers follows them. They don't sell as "Laser pointers" and they have some safety system, presumably.

Advil

Newly Enlightened

However it has much higher burning capability compared to a green laser, even a green laser of 1000mw power will not be even comparable to this monster.

are you sure? i thought 1W = 1W no matter what wavelength?

i have a 150mW novalaser :)

Isak Hawk

Enlightened

are you sure? i thought 1W = 1W no matter what wavelength?

Many materials absorb different wavelengths at different rates. Blu ray for example, is much better for burning than green.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

After doing a little research, I have determined that while this laser produces around 1 watt of power the human eye will only perceive it as bright as a 50mw green laser, so as far as having a high intensity beam "for viewing" there are much better and cheaper alternatives. However it has much higher burning capability compared to a green laser, even a green laser of 1000mw power will not be even comparable to this monster.

LOL, who changed the title to "Portable Deathray":crackup:?!

Yeah, there are plenty of more visible and cheaper lasers out there, but what about blue? You might pay $500 bucks or so and still only get about 20mW of 473. Now you can get a shorter blue (diode, too) with higher output. I, for one, would love to have a blue beam as bright as a 50mW green!

By the way, Osram just built a green laser in the lab capable of 50mW!!!!

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

And what i find even more bewildering this agitation by americans who do not seem to have a single problem with having a gun instead?!.

Since we are talking about self protection and whether or not this laser is a possibility. I think everyone has the right to protect themselves, whether it be a laser or a firearm. I don't understand passivists myself.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

By the way, Osram just built a green laser in the lab capable of 50mW!!!!

"Where do they get those wonderful toys.."

batman04xf9.jpg

Since we are talking about self protection and whether or not this laser is a possibility. I think everyone has the right to protect themselves, whether it be a laser or a firearm. I don't understand passivists myself.

What puts a laser in the same class as a handgun, yet a different class than say a grenade, rocket launcher, switchblade, or other forbidden weapon? I don't think a laser fits the bill for a reliable choice as a self defense weapon or for protection under the Second Ammendment to the US Constitution.

For the record I own three firearms including a handgun.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

What puts a laser in the same class as a handgun, yet a different class than say a grenade, rocket launcher, switchblade, or other forbidden weapon? I don't think a laser fits the bill for a reliable choice as a self defense weapon or for protection under the Second Ammendment to the US Constitution.
What put's it in the same class? I wouldn't say it is. Though certainly they both have to be treated with respect and with responcibility do to the harm they can cause.
A reliable choice for self defense? Doesn't sound like it is. I was wondering if it would be; thinking it might cause enough pain to stop some one without being leathal.
Protection under the 2nd Ammendment? No, certainly not.
Again, let me reiterate my ignorance. I don't know much at all about lasers; that is why I have asked the questions I have earlier.

ejot

Enlightened

... That means, don't shine platic bottles, no glass, no metal, water, NOTHING at ALL reflective. So all you got...is wall left. ... (emphasis mine)

:caution:There is potentially enough power in the diffuse reflection off a light colored wall to blind you, even a few feet away. :caution: It is that level of unintuitive danger that makes this sucker scary in untrained hands.

I've been trained in the lab on lasers with invisible beams powerful enough to instantaneously cut your fingers off. That, however, is in a highly controlled environment. Know the rules, follow the rules, and you're safe. This product with a much less powerful and much more visible beam, it scares me more.

Don't get me wrong though, I can't wait to get it. :rock:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man, just thinking about it makes my eyeballs hurt.

erikschorr

Newly Enlightened

Who's ordered one and actually received it?

Who's ordered one and has been told it's been shipped?

I've got an art project that would really benefit from this 1W beast, but don't want to waste my time if it's still just vaporware. I've yet to find anyone on the net who's said they've received one of these from wickedlasers or any other specific seller.

GreyShark

Enlightened

For the record I own three firearms including a handgun.

None of those weapons are "forbidden" but for some of them you have to pay an extra tax. People freak out about things they're unfamiliar with but a lot of this "dangerous" stuff is a lot more common than you think. In the case of this laser the more I read about it the more it seems over-hyped. There are definitely some user safety issues to consider but that goes for my arc welder too. Heck, many people have been found wrapped around the PTO shaft of their tractor. Safety first, last and always. There's no way the thing is a "death ray" though and it isn't a useful self defense weapon. If you want a non-lethal self defense weapon get some good pepper spray. I'm unclear on exactly how hot you could make something with this laser but I could see potential applications in non-ferrous hobby metalurgy, freehand engraving, holography, optics experimentation and similar applications. I think all this wild hype is a lot more dangerous than these lasers are.

Zike

Newly Enlightened

Sorry guyz but I need to ask.

Do you really believe that wickedlasers will dismount a $800 casio projector to resell the laser for $195 for each order ?

Unless they succeed to get/purchase the laser diode alone, you might wait a long time before receiving your laser...

Isn't this also weird that they didn't publish a video of the laser in working condition ? The only videos you will get are slideshots of the commercial pictures...

So instead of waiting a long time for someone to really receive it and make a video, here is one from a guy that actually made it using the same laser diode from the that same projector:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__5CpKlr4-4

Enjoy !

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry guyz but I need to ask.

Do you really believe that wickedlasers will dismount a $800 casio projector to resell the laser for $195 for each order ?

From what i have read there are many modules in the projector.

What put's it in the same class? I wouldn't say it is. Though certainly they both have to be treated with respect and with responcibility do to the harm they can cause.
A reliable choice for self defense? Doesn't sound like it is. I was wondering if it would be; thinking it might cause enough pain to stop some one without being leathal.
Protection under the 2nd Ammendment? No, certainly not.
Again, let me reiterate my ignorance. I don't know much at all about lasers; that is why I have asked the questions I have earlier.

And that's exactly my point; not unlike my disagreements with a certain firearms association (which I will not get into here because I don't want to make this about politics), I do not believe in defending an argument simply for the sake of winning. I believe on judging each case on its own merits, and I personally don't see the merits of members of the general public having unrestricted and unlicensed access to a laser of this power. I find it further ironic that members in this very thread are voicing very similar concerns, followed by "and I just bought one".

None of those weapons are "forbidden" but for some of them you have to pay an extra tax. People freak out about things they're unfamiliar with but a lot of this "dangerous" stuff is a lot more common than you think. In the case of this laser the more I read about it the more it seems over-hyped. There are definitely some user safety issues to consider but that goes for my arc welder too. Heck, many people have been found wrapped around the PTO shaft of their tractor. Safety first, last and always. There's no way the thing is a "death ray" though and it isn't a useful self defense weapon. If you want a non-lethal self defense weapon get some good pepper spray. I'm unclear on exactly how hot you could make something with this laser but I could see potential applications in non-ferrous hobby metalurgy, freehand engraving, holography, optics experimentation and similar applications. I think all this wild hype is a lot more dangerous than these lasers are.

Can you kindly send me a link to where I could right now purchase a live grenade without a special permit?

An arc welder cannot blind someone from 200m away.

Can you state the danger of this "wild hype"? Where is the danger? What right do you risk loosing? Again, I'll restate my belief that no one has a legitimate use for a laser of this power without also being able to apply for a special needs permit.

Last edited: