Wicked Lasers Being Confiscated Upon Entering US

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
Re: Could They Be Done For?

[ QUOTE ]
SuperBert said:
What does everyone think will happen with the sales of PGLIII's to the States?

[/ QUOTE ]

Until there is Federal legislation banning or requiring permits to import >5mW lasers, you'll be able to continue ordering PGL-III models that are FDA compliant and shouldn't have any problems with customs.

Even if some states were to ban >5mW lasers, US Customs would still allow the units to be shipped, because when importing things, YOU must comply to local and state laws, and determine for yourself if you are breaking any laws.

gecko991

Newly Enlightened

Hopefully we will not see any more incidents involving the lasing of mass transportation devices or people and animals but I seriously doubt it. Our own individual Civil Liberties allow every person within the U.S. to choose the course of his or her own actions and when we act in a careless manner without regard our own Gov can use for example extensions of the Patriot Act to remove those very same liberties providing the actions in question adhere to the exact criteria set by law provided concrete proof is obtained as well to justify the penalty. Unfortunately I currently reside within 20 miles of David Banache and ever since that incident I will not even consider bringing any of my Lasers outside for some fresh air . Any Laser greater then 5mw requires a variance permit to be used outside here and at least for a while forget about shinning it up into the sky without the potential of a visit from the Men in Black.

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened

Join an astronomy club. Apply for a variance for star pointing. The most they can say is no.

bootleg2go

Enlightened

Belonging to an astronomy club is no reason for a variance. In fact lately many clubs are banning the use of laser pointers at their parties all together, and pointers with >5mw output have never been welcome at star parties as their output is too high and they ruin night vision. You can get a variance for laser light shows, however you need to pass certification classes and have everything your going to do in your show documented and choreographed.

True, the most they will say is no, and that is what they will say unless you have the documentation of your training.

Jack

gecko991

Newly Enlightened

I have no desire to join an Astronomy club at this time just to use those credentials as my defense in the event of a visit by local authorities asking about green lights in my backyard.

Raccoon

Enlightened

>5mW lasers at star parties do not ruin night vision.

We have used a >100mW green laser at a star party, and no night vision was disturbed in the slightest. It simply produced a line visible from all angles and not just people standing right next to the pointer. In fact, unless it's a perfectly new moon (no moon), a <5mW pointer is very difficult to see at all.

nagognog2

Newly Enlightened

I can tell you this about Wicked Lasers: They will never place another ad in Astronomy Magazine in the USA again. The fact that US Customs is seizing shipments and Mr. Tao will not address the loss of people's money and deletes any "negative" posts on his forum was enough. Could they be done for? Yup.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

CPF is still runing a banner ad from Wicked. I wonder if this is still appropriate considering recent events.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

If there is truly something unethical going on, please feel free to contact CPF admin / mod to discuss teh issue.
However, biased moderation of their message board and them not responding to posts about their lasers being confiscated upon entering US-space won't really fit in that category, I am afraid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
After all, you know the risks associated when buying such a laser ...

bernhard

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
After all, you know the risks associated when buying such a laser ...

bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point - someone seeing the banner ad might not know the risks. This board is primarily aimed at U.S. users, and if there's a high probability that a buyer in the U.S. is going to lose his/her money to a confiscated laser, that's an issue.

gecko991

Newly Enlightened

I totally agree and the risk associated with Wicked at the present is perhaps a little greater then most others.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Especially since there's some censorship of negative details going on.

If it seems unfair to single out Wicked, then place a disclaimer on ALL banner ads for lasers.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
This board is primarily aimed at U.S. users, and if there's a high probability that a buyer in the U.S. is going to lose his/her money to a confiscated laser, that's an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

CPF won't get involved in private transactions between a vendor and a member. It is your responsiblity to make sure you buying habits comply with the legal regulations in your country. Being uninformed about what one does isn't an excuse.

CPF is a US-based international board and there are lots of members who can buy from Wicked without the risk of having their laser confiscated.

However, since you are all insisting on this matter, I'll bring it in the committee of mods and admins and we'll discuss the issue.

bernhard

Raccoon

Enlightened

Let it be known that we really do insist. Please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sponsor banners have always, and will always be, an endorsement of one's product. Just as Nascar racers are covered in product endorsements, so is this website.

If you endorse a product, you are naturally encouraging your followers (the members of this forum) to purchase from said sponsor. As 99% of your members are located in the US, you can expect 99% of the purchases will be from these members.

Knowingly encouraging US customers to purchase items which may be illegal to them, and that are actively being confiscated from them, is ... well, we all know what it is.

There's a reason we don't see cigarette commercials in childrens' cartoons anymore. Children can't buy cigarettes.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

CPF isn't encouraging anyone to buy anything at all. We are not endorsing any business. We simply do provide banner-ad space for those dealers who wish to take this opportunity.

Even if the majority (not nearly as much as 99% btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) is US-based, this is an international group nevertheless, and CPF staff can never check all the offers from sponsors (and B/S/T too) if and where they are legit or not. This part is the responsibility of the customer.
I am not allwoed to buy a gun, yet a lot of sponsors sell'em. Whose responsibility is it to make sure I do not make a mistake by clicking the "buy me now" button?

However, if something truly unethical should be found out about a sponsor, the ultimate decision lies in the hands of the forum owner.
It seems that no such issues have been clearly identified so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif.
We will see about it soon, I'll let you all know.

bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.