Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's not your eyes Poppy. The photo was shot in low light but their forest green only looks green is the sunlight. One could mistake it for their black in low light conditions.
IMG_0968.jpeg

Here's the 3 colors outside on a cloudy mid-day.
Black, gray, green. (iPhone f1.4)

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
Mag came out with new model. Anyone got one yet? I ordered one, should come in Friday. seems interesting.
View attachment 48867

I am interested in this light, but here in The Netherlands, cheapest option I can currently find is EUR 159.95 ($169) which is a really extremely overpriced for this light. I can get a nice Malkoff including international insured shipping for that price, so that's definitely out of the question.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in this light, but here in The Netherlands, cheapest option I can currently find is EUR 159.95 ($169) which is a really extremely overpriced for this light. I can get a nice Malkoff including international insured shipping for that price, so that's definitely out of the question.
@bykfixer has one, and as I recall, he rather likes it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, if my options are Maglite or Malkoff for the same amount of money; I'm always picking the latter.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the club. When I buy EU lights I pay exchange rate, high shipping, and some times bank wire fees.

Ishango

Enlightened
Welcome to the club. When I buy EU lights I pay exchange rate, high shipping, and some times bank wire fees.
I already was welcome to the club. There are not a lot of lights made in the EU. I'm paying shipping and all those costs pretty much for every light in my collection. But my point was more that the price in US was $89 according to Maglite without sales (which they have often) and the price here is pretty much doubled. And that only seems to apply to Maglite as if it's on purpose. I can get StreamLight, Acebeam, Fenix and ZebraLight torches here from local sellers for not much higher prices than I would buy them overseas myself.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already was welcome to the club. There are not a lot of lights made in the EU.
There are a lot of lights made, assembled, and/or designed in the EU and if you include Norway, Swiss, UK, and Russia the list grows even bigger. I have spent the past 11 months or so studying about them and buying as many as I can get my hands on. I'll have a report on BLF in December about it.

Some are brands you probably haven't heard about. There are quite a lot of specialty lights and there are the local brands with east Asia manufacturing. They are rarely cheap and underperform usually.

For some reason they rarely get covered on the forums nowadays. You hear a lot about USA and Chinese lights but little about the others. Back in the day on here people chatted about such things here but nowadays it is only the cheap China lights.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of luck have you guys had with Mag's warranty department? I picked up a 3AA with a broken LED module. It also has some battery corrosion inside, which they say could invalidate service, but it's not related to the LED problem.

Just following up on this for future reference. Mag warrantied the repair without issue although the end result was a little odd. Apparently they don't stock original 3AA Minimag LED modules so they used an LED from a 1st gen ML25L. Upside to this is way better brightness and battery life. Potential downside is the new emitter shape means it no longer has a flood focus. My main annoyance is that I'd carefully treated the corroded spot inside so it was clean smooth metal, but someone at Mag must have thought they could do better so they scratched the hell out of the area with a file.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
...someone at Mag must have thought they could do better so they scratched the hell out of the area with a file.
That sounds very 'poor' to me, and indeed very disappointing. I'm being very kind here. I won't write what I'm actually thinking:-(

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That sounds very 'poor' to me, and indeed very disappointing. I'm being very kind here. I won't write what I'm actually thinking:-(
So they took a non working, long since out of production light and got it going again..... for no charge and scratched up the inside? Yeah, that's terrible customer service alright.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man, I hate to say it but the Litt clicky for aaa Maglites just aint workin' out. I have one on a triple a minimag (white) LED and it's flawless. The other one has been tried on a warm LED minimag, warm LED solitaire and both incan minimag and solitaire with dissapointing results. Now I swap it to the white LED minimag and it works great. Kinda weird.

I have some on double a minimags and those work great, LED or incan, warm or white.