Wish car body with Tesla Electric chassis

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Those are 3 ways to destroy a classic car, not make it better. not to mention it will cost tens of thousands at very least to do such conversion.
I'm a part owner of a body\repair shop, for about 2 decades. so far i have seen only handful of any projects finished and done right, the other 80% never finish them, another 10% -12% finish, but the end result is not only does not work right but often is outright dangerous.
What about when people replace the power plant in these older cars with a modern engine? I see that on these restoration shows all the time. Isn't that just as bad if your goal is keeping it all "original"?

BTW, in many cases people don't care about keeping the entire vehicle original. They just want something reliable enough to use regularly. And in many cases you just can't get the parts to make it completely original.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Please be mindful of the thread theme.
Agreed. The thread theme is about electric conversions of classic cars. It might make an interesting separate thread to discuss the impacts of those conversions upon the value of these vehicles.

This being a flashlight site I wonder how people feel about upgrading "classic" LED lights from the beginning of the LED era with more efficient modern emitters? Might make for a good discussion-in another thread, of course.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about when people replace the power plant in these older cars with a modern engine? I see that on these restoration shows all the time. Isn't that just as bad if your goal is keeping it all "original"?

BTW, in many cases people don't care about keeping the entire vehicle original. They just want something reliable enough to use regularly. And in many cases you just can't get the parts to make it completely original.
When they do that , the car is no longer a classic. it is not longer valued as classic. these cars are not made to be driven daily. people who own those, have other cars for transportation. visit a classic cars show, you wont see any new engines in classic cars, cars are all restored with original parts, or they aren't worth much.

In that case it becomes a project car, and they almost never reliable, they are rarely finished. that is the reality, you want a reliable car, get a car that is reliable from a factory, and keep it original, do not swap engines, do not swap transmissions. just replace parts with identical when they fail. i

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would love to own this Voltswagen.

That is pretty cool, i would too love to take it for a spin. and it looks like the guy knows what he is doing, but this VW before the conversion was worth much more, and its price would only increase over time, now not only it lost its status, but value as well.
would you drive this vw after conversion, from coast to coast? i sure would not even try, but if it was in its original form, yea, thou it would not be a comfy road tip, but it would make it.