Wolf-Eyes Thunder 3-cree LED ????

NickDrak

Enlightened
Okay! Back in business! I received my replacement Thunder from Mike today, and I really do dig this thing. One bit of advice for those considering buying one of these, DO NOT unscrew the tailcap from the light and start clicking it on and of. I wouldnt put any pressure on the button unless it is screwed all the way down against the batteries. The original one I had may have been a fluke, but I think this is a good way to avoid the issue I had with my first Thunders tailcap. The tailcap assembly came loose from its housing after I removed it a began clicking it on & off.

I still think the Thunder would benefit from some sort of grip enhancement similar to a "LeefGrip" just ahead of the tailcap assembly.

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
NickDrak

W-E must have had a bad batch of tailcaps. The tailcap on my Thunder was spongy, too, and I ended up switching it out for an old M90 tailcap. The springs on the old tailcap are much better. Also, folks should be aware that the Thunder is/was currently described as a Hi-Lo on the PTS website, but this batch mistakenly came from the factory as a Lo-Hi. For many, that won't matter, but the controller is behind the LEDs so just changing the tailcap for a different switch won't change this for the Thunder as for some other lights. Mike at PTS apologized and said that he has more controllers coming in at the end of October that will be Hi-Lo, or even just Hi, and he'll walk me through replacing the Lo-Hi controller (apparently everything was designed to be modular). I pass this on because if you're spending $200 for a light, the basics should all come as expected. The light itself is bigger and heavier than a W-E M90 (for reference) but puts out an impressive wall of light to 35+ yards. Not a thrower, the beam is wider than an M90 with the upgraded LumensFactory bulb, about the same overall intensity as the M90 or a G&P Scorpion, but the whiteness gives superior resolution to eye than the yellow incand's and the beam is more uniform than either. The batteries rattled a bit but this was easily fixed. If the bunnies are eating you out of house, home, and garden, and you need a nightlight for the scattergun, put this unit way up the list.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
I'm back in business too - the replacement emitter arrived very promptly and everything is working like a charm.

Yesterday out of curiosity I put in a couple 17670s and the light ran on low for 6 hours with no decline in output. According to a ZTS tester, they were at 60% after two hours, 40% after five and 0% at six. At 0% one of these batteries would light a U2 to Level 2. The WE AX would still run on these batteries on low undiminished, which is the equivalent of a U2 on Level 3. At about 6 hours & 10 min. the protection circuit kicked in and the light winked out.

BTW, 18650s is what I will carry in the light, but four 17670s will fit in one of those CountyComm CR123 holders (albeit with the ends sticking out) and this makes a nice package.

One thing I am wondering is will those M90 LED tailcaps work on this? If so, how do they work? Are they twist on, click on, constant on, etc.

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
Cliff,

Hmmm...gosh, couldn't say. I think many of the W-E lights, such as the M90 and M100, use the same tailcap as the Thunder. It's just that in the older W-E tailcaps that I have, the springs are much springy-er and the switch much clickier/crisper than the tailcap that came with the Thunder. Maybe W-E has changed the specs on their tailcaps?

NickDrak

Enlightened
Okay, I got my replacement Thunder from Mike at PTS on Thursday and I had the chance to use it a bit at work the last couple of days. The Thunder is not what most would consider a "Thrower" but it does still reach out quite a bit, just not with a concentrated hot spot. I would classify the Thunder as more of a "Wall of Light" style beam. This thing is ridiculously bright, and it lights up a huge amount of area.

So far, So good! Only time will tell if the Thunder will hold up to daily patrol use.

NickDrak

Enlightened
NickDrak, do you carry the Thunder on your belt? What holster are you using?

The Thunder is too big to strap onto my belt or vest carrier, atleast for me it is. I drive around with the Thunder next to me on the seat in the squad car. If I see something that needs to be lit-up, I just grab it and go. I have a Surefire 6PL in a pouch on my vest carrier, and a Surefire U2 or my 9volt CREE lego SF light in my pocket.

oren1s

Newly Enlightened
what do you think about mounting the Thunder on a rifle? will it take the shooting shockes?

cliff

Newly Enlightened
the controller is behind the LEDs so just changing the tailcap for a different switch won't change this for the Thunder as for some other lights.

If the tailcap is pretty much an on/off switch, would the M90T LED tailcap work? I noticed the 9H remote switch tailcap is listed as an accessory for the Thunder, but there is no listing of any LED tailcaps. Any info would be much appreciated.