Wolf-Eyes Thunder 3-cree LED ????

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Dear Mike,
There will be a 1000 Lumen version of the Storm ???

PapikAldo:

Whoa, don't take my weak attempt at humor as evidence/rumor of any 1000 lumen Thunder/Storm. I'm just assuming that in a couple years there will be more powerful emitters, and at least Wolfeyes is taking this into consideration.

If so, it may very well be more complicated than just popping in new emitters, but the fact that the Thunder's emitters are user-replaceable will certainly not complicate matters.

gostanova

Newly Enlightened
I got mine yesterday!! yes, I was compulsive enough to call Mike on Wednesday and pay the extra $$$$ for overnight. I'll try to post a whitewall comparison with some other well known lights this afternoon.
ps. It's bright!!!!

NickDrak

Enlightened
Okay, mine showed up today
toxdance.gif
First impressions of the "Thunder" are....

Feels well made to my hands. Not of the Surefire type quality that I am used to, but feels very solid and well made none-the-less.

Not sure about the tailcap function as of yet. It does have the required (For Me) momentary ON feature, but the activation is not as simple as a SF clicky as you have to first cycle through Low momentary to get to High momentary/Constant On. (I am getting used to it quickly) The button is a little awkward to activate due to the Thunders length/weight, and the low profile of the button itself, but not overly awkward. I believe this light would benefit greatly from a "LeefGrip" style grip enhancer just in front of the tailcap.

I will attempt to take some beam-shots while working tonight. From monkeying around the house with it, it does appear to be wikedly bright!!!

NickDrak

Enlightened
BUMMER!

Well, I dont have any beam-shots to post because the Thunder crapped out on me. I believe it is a defective tailcap assembly because while I was testing it out at work, the light started acting erratically, switching from high to low on its own, and in the low mode the light would start to flicker. Then after a few more clicks....NOTHING! I tried a fresh set of batteries to no avail. A real shame since this light was ridiculously bright with a very smooth beam for the short amount of time it was working. Wish I had better news to report, but I dont!

gostanova

Newly Enlightened
BUMMER!

Well, I dont have any beam-shots to post because the Thunder crapped out on me. I believe it is a defective tailcap assembly because while I was testing it out at work, the light started acting erratically, switching from high to low on its own, and in the low mode the light would start to flicker. Then after a few more clicks....NOTHING! I tried a fresh set of batteries to no avail. A real shame since this light was ridiculously bright with a very smooth beam for the short amount of time it was working. Wish I had better news to report, but I dont!

Don't give up just yet, I had a similar problem. Try removing the the bezel and loosening the 3 individual led modules just a bit. mine was acting weird with only low working and refusing to go to high and that trick fixed it. Maybe the heat caused something in there to expand just a little too much.....
Good luck!!!
I also posted some beamshots of the thunder here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176623

robo21

Enlightened
BUMMER!

Sorry to hear that. :sigh: Please update the thread after you try gostanova's suggestion. And good luck!

96TL

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Not a good sign huh? Maybe I should pass on this one for now.

NickDrak

Enlightened
Will do. Mike is taking care of me, and sending out a new light on Monday.:thumbsup: I am going to give this light another chance due to the awesome potential that it showed during the short time mine worked.

BTW: It seems that the tailcap assembly on mine is the culprit as it seperated from the tailcap housing.

I also would like to say that ALL manufacturers let a lemon slip through QC from time to time, even my beloved Surefire. It is how the company or dealer decides to handle the issue is what really counts, and Mike @ PTS seems to be one of the good guys. I wouldnt let my intial experience turn you away from getting one of these unless it turns out to be a common issue. This is why I chose NOT to overreact like I have seen many do around here when they receive a lemon.

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Good to see you not giving it to WE over this Nick as some might. Strange as i have had no problems with any of my tail caps with any of my WE, the potential in this light looks good.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a bad tailcap and you remove the cap and short the negative of the battery to the end of the battery tube it should light up.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
:D When you get your Thunder, let us know how the filter fits.

My Thunder AX came yesterday and it is an impressively made device. After close examination I can see no difference in build quality between the AX and my U2. Emitters are threaded into a fitting which threads into the flashlight head and is covered over by a lens holder which threads onto the bezel. Everything is hand-tight, precisely threaded and has substantial heft.

Outside, targets can be blazingly lit at 25 yards and well-lit at 50. Tinted car windows are no big problem either.

The SF FM24 diffuser filter does not quite fit however. It could be made to fit by wrapping the head with some tape, but I will not be inclined to put a diffuser on this light. The hotspot of three Crees is very broad, but there is also sidespill from three Crees and this lights up a broad enough area that a diffuser should not be necessary.

Unfortunately one of the emitter modules stopped firing and I haven't been able to determine a cause. It may need replacement, but if so that is not unusual. My first U2 emitter burned out shortly after I got it, and it took three tailcaps before the thing worked properly. New products sometimes have a few bugs, but the Thunder AX is well worth the money and well worth ironing the bugs out of, just like the U2. When functioning properly, this light is exactly what I need.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Two Thunders out of commission already?

Ouch.

Actually, mine is only 1/3 out of commission but with two emitters firing it is still the brightest flashlight in my inventory. Mike advises he is sending out a new emitter so this condition should be temporary.

Speaking of ouch, this light comes with the usual warning about not looking into the beam, etc. but in the Thunder's case this is particularly good advice. I managed to glance at a mirror it was pointed toward (with all three emitters going) and was seeing spots for a long, long time. If this thing is shined in someone's eyes intentionally it is definately going to mess with their vision, day or night.