worlds first triple MCE MR16 Maglite bike light

snaps

Newly Enlightened
Trout,
I've not yet found an optic that give a throw like a reflector does, that triple & quad narrow optic just doesn't penetrate down the trail enough for me.

Tidra

Enlightened
Hmmm,... the only downside for this setup would be, that I would have to change maximum current settings for uphill and downhill, because on max 1,2A the minimum setting would give me cca 160lum which is to low second stage would be around 500lum and that is too much.

trout

Enlightened
Hmmm,... the only downside for this setup would be, that I would have to change maximum current settings for uphill and downhill, because on max 1,2A the minimum setting would give me cca 160lum which is to low second stage would be around 500lum and that is too much.

You have me a little confused I have not used multimode yet but will try and get some shots of each setting maybe tonight .

I have put a shot up of the low setting in duo mode in the top post .

trout

Enlightened
:D Lets get the good news out of the way first :D

I have been beavering away at a piece of ali rescued from the countless bits I have scattered around my garage floor ( really must have a tidy up )
It started of I was going to make a bar clamp because I did not trust the plastic one to be strong enough it was going to be 2 halves bolted together but morphed into this hybrid quick release Just in time for this evenings ride with my light test dummy mate .

NEWMR16PROJECT020.jpg

This has been the best upgrade to this light ever . The difference it has made to how hot or not as is the result is staggering .

I fully expected the maxflex to dim on the slow stuff as had happened in my static tests
but my quad helmet light dimmed and the triple mce did not I had to check it was on full

yes . all ride it worked never dimming at all . compared to the helmet light which dimmed 4 times .
I never bothered using any lower settings the whole ride which was 2.5 hours ride time
except on the road out and back

:thumbsup: so well pleased :thumbsup:
We got to the trailhead and off we went my mate was using my Rocket MCE and ledil square MCE lights on his bars
I was using the triple mce on my bars .

This was where I find out the camera lies . and maybe there should be a camera setting
ammendment for very bright lights as it looked better on the photo than on the trail when riding.

First impresions were wow lots of light followed a few hundred metres later but it is in the wrong place . way too floody I want some to go down the trail . then my mate comes past on an overtake :D and his 2 mce lights are shining straight down the trail .wow
I want mine to be like that .

That is the not so good news .
The good think about the mag lite host is it is easy to change optics .
so the search goes on .

Might see if I can fit 3 of the rocket optics in there .

The really good news is the Maxflex worked perfectly

hootsmon

Newly Enlightened
This was where I find out the camera lies . and maybe there should be a camera setting amendment for very bright lights as it looked better on the photo than on the trail when riding...

Yep, I completely agree! I'd argue that lights like your triple MC-E have raised the bar to the point where 'standard' camera setting are no longer appropriate. So maybe it's time for beamshot-setting MkII (say with a 1 f-stop aperture reduction)? But of course we know it won't stop there, thanks to the continuing 'arms race' in the lumens war.

Just my 2 cents

trout

Enlightened
In true Troutie impatience style I could not wait for the narrow triple optic to come from Cutters .

so I thought why not see if I can lathe the difusing bobbles off the front of the medium optic
it was a bit delicate to nip in the chuck but I managed and was quite suprised on how good it came out .
after a few very light passes they were gone

NEWMR16PROJECT021.jpg

then into the light and off to the bit of test trail I have been using .

first up the shot from the un modded optic
followed by the modded

I do think there should be a revised camera setting for the new multi chip leds
any camera experts on here to advise please .

MR16widehi.jpg

lathed-optic-5.jpg

lathed-optic-4.jpg

lathed-optic-3.jpg

lathed-optic-2.jpg

lathed-optic-1.jpg

It does seem to have tightened the beam up a tad and if I had aimed it up the trail a bit more the hotspot would have lit up the trees in the far distance .

next pics are stepping down the levels on the maxflex in multimode

Now looking at the shots
look at the first pic which is unmodded @ full power.
and look at pics 3 and 4 which are 1 and 2 steps down in power on the Maxflex

txgp17

Enlightened
That is friggin awesome.

I can't wait till Gene Malkoff offers a MC-E in his M60 drop-in. Or Fenix starts putting them in their lights.

trout

Enlightened
Is it possible to buy one from you ?

Lelle64

I quess everything is for sale I only have that one and it is just a test bed
for me to mess around with .

But I could make you one

I have no idea on the cost , and am still experimenting with various optic/reflector setups at the moment

Lelle64

Newly Enlightened
Lelle64

I quess everything is for sale I only have that one and it is just a test bed
for me to mess around with .

But I could make you one

I have no idea on the cost , and am still experimenting with various optic/reflector setups at the moment

Trout , I will go on to buy your triple MCE MR16 Maglite bike light.
Just give mee the price for the kit.
[email protected]

Br
Lelle64

MtLuke

Newly Enlightened
Trout, what kind of run times are you getting running that configuration?

Eric S

trout

Enlightened
Trout, what kind of run times are you getting running that configuration?

Eric S

Hi Eric.

I did a runtime test on full power

NEWMR16PROJECT027.jpg

the vf of the setup is 18.63v

current draw from the battery was 1.44A

and ful to empty runtime on max power 1200ma
so each string seeing 600ma

battery started @ 16.83 v

and died @ 12 v when the protection circuit kicked in
the light ran for the duration with out dimming no temp as smudge took his meter back .

It ran for 2 hours 49mins

battery 14.8 liion 4400mah