Worldwide Lummi's

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Worldwide Raw's

Tim W, Nice Pouch. I look forward to your Location shots...
Any more... 1st prize is the new Wee..

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am looking forward to more photo's :thumbsup:

p73rs

Newly Enlightened

Hi, Rob.

I just received my RAW NS.:) Wow! It is so nice. :cool:

Now, I am looking forward to doing the location photo.

Thank you very much.:thanks:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

More pictures coming up, and they are NOT from Puerto Rico :whistle:

Tim W

Enlightened

Since Mother Nature decided She wasn't ready for spring yet:
P4090041.JPG

Some images around Leelanau County in Northern Michigan:

Looking out over Leland Harbor towards the Manitou Islands:
P4090047.JPG

One of the entrances to our beatiful National Park:
P4090044.JPG

A popular tourist area:
P4090046.JPG

Interesting sign along the road:
P4090049.JPG

Sorry the pictures aren't of better clarity, I don't have the greatest digital camera.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

:cool: Photos Tim W
:thanks: & :thumbsup:

vortechs

Enlightened

On Saturday I went on a hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon (Arizona, USA) and took along my Orb Raw and a camera.

Here are some pictures taken a bit more than halfway down the Grand Canyon on the South Kaibab trail (in the morning, on the way down):

The view:

The ledge (with something on it):

A closer view:

It's a long way down:

(to be continued)

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened

Here are some pictures of the Orb Raw at a place very few visitors to the Grand Canyon will ever see: Phantom Ranch, at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

Here is a picture of where Bright Angel Creek meets the Colorado River (taken from the South Kaibab trail). The next 3 pictures are taken at a spot very near the center of this one:

On the way into Phantom Ranch and Bright Angel Campground (What is that on top of the sign?):

It is an Orb Raw:

Here it is on another sign in the entrance area:

Continuing a short distance up Bright Angel Creek brings you to Phantom Ranch. The Raw continues to find its way onto the tops of signs:

For those of you wondering about Phantom Ranch, here is the sign that gives some history about it:

The Raw seems to have found its way on top of that sign too:

It is a long hike out of the canyon (almost 10 miles and about 5000 feet of elevation gain). Here is a photo about halfway out, at Indian Gardens:

Something seems to have gotten wedged between the signs, I wonder what it could be:

A view of Bright Angel canyon from above Indian Gardens. The shadows are getting longer:

(to be continued)

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened

This was a very long hike. Here is a picture taken at the rest house on Bright Angel trail a mile and a half below the South Rim (at 7:30pm):

It's a good thing I had a two-stage Orb Raw with me. The low brightness setting was just fine for finishing the last mile or so in the dark.

(the end)

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brilliant vortechs :thanks: :thumbsup:

sideman7

Newly Enlightened

Hey, I was just at the Grand Canyon last week... We didn't get a chance to do any hiking, just visited the South Rim (and took lots of photos). Is this Phantom Ranch?:
Ranch.jpg

I could barely make it out with the naked eye, but a nice long lens was able to pull this in...

I've got an idea for a Raw photo tonight...

vortechs

Enlightened

Hi sideman7. Yes, that is Phantom Ranch. Your camera must have a powerful lens to get a picture like that from the rim.

By the way, I do not recommend trying to hike down there and back out all in one day. Even in the best of conditions it is a very long hike with a lot of elevation change, and if the weather is hot it can be dangerous. Reservations to stay overnight at the cabins at Phantom Ranch are included with mule trips down there. There are a limited number of dormitory-style accomodations available for hikers with advance reservations, but they are typically sold out many months in advance. More information can be found at: http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/phantom-ranch-704.html

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

This thread is awesome! Too bad I sold my raw a while back :( . I'd really like to take pictures of one by the Hollywood sign since that hasn't been done yet. Would make for something different.

allxring

Newly Enlightened

Tim W great photos from my hometown! Those gave me chills and great memories. Thank you!

sideman7

Newly Enlightened

vortechs said:
Hi sideman7. Yes, that is Phantom Ranch. Your camera must have a powerful lens to get a picture like that from the rim.
Yup, 400mm. There was absolutely no reason for me to bring this lens except for stuff like this. Most of what I shot was with a 10-22mm.

My Dad was visiting, and I haven't been to the Grand Canyon before this trip, so we went on my day off (it's about a 4 hour drive from Las Vegas) and stayed overnight. I would love to spend some more time there again when I have the chance so I could do some hiking...

OK... Here is my shot, something a bit different. Two tripods, a few different exposures to get everything in focus and visible, and had to paint the Raw with another flashlight to get it to show (although you can actually see the color of streetlights in the Raw...).
VegasRaw.jpg

I tried taking some other shots with the Raw next to the Luxor hoping the beam would show, but there was just too much ambient light, I couldn't see it at all...

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fantastic sideman7 :thanks: & :thumbsup:

I really am enjoying this Thread. Thank you to all for there contributions. Please keep them coming. :cool:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do you get the Tritium to glow like that?? Exposure?? My NS has Blue trits but they always come out white. My camera skills suck...:whistle:

sideman7

Newly Enlightened

Cuso said:
How do you get the Tritium to glow like that?? Exposure?? My NS has Blue trits but they always come out white. My camera skills suck...:whistle:
You just need a long exposure and proper lighting (with no flash) for it to come out balanced. The above photo took 30" (at f/8.0- it was hard to focus since it was dark) for the Raw to be exposed properly. There have been several photos posted with dual pictures to get one with the foreground in focus, then the background. I just pasted them together here since the exposure and focus were different...
Foreground:
VR1.jpg

Background:
VR2.jpg

Last edited:

Tim W

Enlightened

allxring said:
Tim W great photos from my hometown! Those gave me chills and great memories. Thank you!

Whereabouts by Leland were you from?

I grew up around here and then moved back about 12 years ago.

Tim

(PS: I assume from your handle you're into the shooting sports, too? Which ones?)