• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Would you 'settle' for an unfinished BOSS?

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there performance differences between the black and Patina? Corrosion resistance? Or is it just aesthetics?

You think that's enough question marks?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Are there performance differences between the black and Patina? Corrosion resistance? Or is it just aesthetics?
They are both attractive in person and photos. And they have the same metal for similar thermal characteristics. Black is the only finish we offer that does not change over time on its own. Bare 7075 changes more gradually than brass or copper but still changes (darkens).

They also differ in impact treatment. Black has a hard shell so is more impact resistant but such impacts will show/contrast more. Silver doesn't have the shell but impacts are the same color so are less visible.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wish they still made aluminum models but I would definitely want ano unless aluminum buffed to be shiny. I hate dull metal look like new titanium models.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Black is our standard finish but we alternate between it and other metals. In the meantime, we should have a few black heads soon that can be paired with black bodies.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Black is our standard finish but we alternate between it and other metals. In the meantime, we should have a few black heads soon that can be paired with black bodies.
The key for me is aluminum over exotic metals. It has light weight and good enough thermal transfer. Copper is better but too heavy and I don't like the smell.

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
The key for me is aluminum over exotic metals. It has light weight and good enough thermal transfer. Copper is better but too heavy and I don't like the smell.

The aluminum satin black BOSS I have does a fine job for heat management for this design but the Titanium BOSS with the copper pill is darn good too.

"Prolonged" use at high output requires greater mass and surface area for effective thermal regulation that is a bit beyond the limits of the BOSS.

For extended v5 high output I resort to my v5 dropin in the Z70 or one of my hosts using a Cryos bezel.

[emoji6]

easilyled

Flashaholic
The aluminum satin black BOSS I have does a fine job for heat management for this design but the Titanium BOSS with the copper pill is darn good too.

"Prolonged" use at high output requires greater mass and surface area for effective thermal regulation that is a bit beyond the limits of the BOSS.

For extended v5 high output I resort to my v5 dropin in the Z70 or one of my hosts using a Cryos bezel.

[emoji6]

I understand that the Wasp was designed for greater thermal efficiency for extended purposes and has the V5 engine built-in rather than as a drop-in.
No matter how robust the host that the drop-in is in, it will always be limited to some extent by the layer of air between it and the walls of the host.
Even with foil-wraps etc. it can't be as efficient as an in-built L.E AFAIK.

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
I understand that the Wasp was designed for greater thermal efficiency for extended purposes and has the V5 engine built-in rather than as a drop-in.
No matter how robust the host that the drop-in is in, it will always be limited to some extent by the layer of air between it and the walls of the host.
Even with foil-wraps etc. it can't be as efficient as an in-built L.E AFAIK.

True! That's why the elusive Wasp is still on my radar!

These pocketable lumen powerhouses will not replace larger high output torches for prolonged use but it's fun to push the limits.

[emoji41]

BryanMig

Newly Enlightened
Would you settle for an unfinished BOSS

To me this question reads more as Would you pay more for figures with unique sculpting?Yes, yes I would.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A bit late to the party, but would vote 'yes'; am currently messing about with this Boss35 Patina & enjoying it very much, but wouldn't mind trying a '70' variation. As Patina 70 bodies most likely will never be available, a bare 70 body could be an alternate option. Or somebody who wants a 'polished' instead of their currently-patina 70, could perhaps sell the patina 70 body on the MP - to people like me lol.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ I viewed a first run bare aluminium Boss 70 on FB "WTS" a week ago. It sold for a fair price.. You need to sort thru the death head skull clip parade, but the patina aluminum Boss come up often. There are many tough, and cool lookin, finishes that can be applied to bare 7075 besides ano..