wow!

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned that LED's can't touch krypton bulbs, well the 4D Maglite makes 122 lumens while just about any 2x battery Fenix will produce over 180 Lumens on it's highest setting while staying that bright longer than the Mag.

Niconical

Enlightened
Here's a tip. If you want the TK10 but think it's too expensive for what you need, then that's fine, but if you'll get a cheaper one anyway, I can almost guarantee you'll then get another cheaper one and end up paying more than if you had just bought the TK10.

Crenshaw sums it up best a few posts above, you won't be disappointed.

:)

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
Basically, you are screwed now coming here. If you have any thought that after being here that you are going to end up with one light to walk the dog, you are sadly mistaken. You're infected and the cure is only more lights in different outputs , sizes, run times, user interfaces, incan vs. led vs HID and rechargeables vs. primaries and on and on it goes untill your friends and family think you have gone around the bend and decide its time to send you away.
Seriously this is the best place to hang and learn and and ask questions and you'll get a lot of advice and a lot of different advice that will seem confusing or conflicting at times. Don't worry about it. Jump in and get some lights and start USING them. You'll find out after a while what works and doesn't work for your applications. From that point on you'll start to look at lights and their given features with your intended use in mind and whether or not a given light will fufill that need.
By the way this is enormous fun but can be very draining on the pocketbook. But then, it's too late for you anyway.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
By the way heres my .02 worth. I have the TK10 and its a nice light but runs on primaries and that can be expensive long term.
I just got a light in that I think would fullfill your need quite nicely and if its in your price range when shipped to over there then even better.
I just got in for a fellow LE a Wolf Eyes 9DXA Tactical flashlight. The light is a good size but not overtly large(smaller than a mag light) and not too small either. (A little bigger than the TK10) Features a 200 lumen Xenon bulb and rechargeable low loss batteries and comes with the holster and charger. Plus its built like a tank and I'd have no problem using this thing defensively. This plus a small single cell aa light like a fenik 1d would get you off to a very good start.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice one lightjaguar, i see he ships to the uk too. excellent.

Be careful about ordering malkoff to u.k. It will cost you $20 for shipping, and he ships via priority mail which is almost 100% that you'll get nabbed at customs, the end cost could be as high as $130 for the drop in.

ambientmind

Enlightened
I have to second the opinions of the fenix, lights. I have many and they are all great. If you want a nice maglite mod, check out the ROP mods particularly the lithium powered ones. Theyre easy to do, relatively cheap and really really bright! A 2D size would still be easy to carry, and big enough to be used as a club.

For LED, the malkoff devices are great! Or you could get something like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14412
for lots of output, large size and durable finish. But the runtime isnt quite what you were looking for.

crazee horse

Banned
well ive done it now! i ordered a cheapy ultrafire g2 yesterday from ebay for £8, just to have a taste of things, and then whilst i kept looking at the Fenix TK10 i thought to myself "i wont be even sniffing a torch for at least TEN days" so i bought a Fenix TK10 this morning and a re-charger an 4 batteries from GlowGadgets, fingers crossed should be here tomorrow.
its no good i just couldnt wait, thats always been my downfall! my mate has also given me his 2 d maglite ROFL, i never had a torch friday and now i need a room for them........................... well slight exageration :duh2:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait to see what you'll be saying about the Fenix. You're about enter a whole new world of lights. You'll not be able to find any Maglites as bright as your new Fenix, unless it's a modified one. (Wait till you get your first ROP, Mag85, 11, 66, or 74 (all modified Maglites)...then you'll really be shocked...SHOCKED!) Comparing the Fenix with the 2D your mate gave you will make you wonder if the Mag is even turned on!

mdocod

Flashaholic
WELCOME TO CPF!!!!

---------------------------

Expect about 1/2-1/3 the normal runtime you would get with CR123 primaries while using those RCR123s from glowgadgets. The TK10 can technically run on a pair of 3.7V RCR123s and will have better runtime than any of the supposed "3.0V" rechargeable cells, but even better, would be a light that just runs on a single 18650, with double the watt-hour capacity of a pair of RCR123s, and about the same size. (the TK10 is not compatible with an 18650)

Don't fret, this will not be your last purchase, you are here now, the only hope is to lock away your wallet, burn your credit cards, (don't just cut em up, cuz you'll be piecing them back together to read the numbers for an internet order!)... There will almost certainly be more purchases in the future in the name of portable illumination. You will be absolutely blown away by the TK10 and really start to get interested at that point!

-----------------------------

Oh... BTW: the cells in that kit are 3.7V cells with voltage reducing diodes on the output, the charger is set to terminate the charge at around 4.4-4.5V to overcome the voltage shunting device in reverse, normal "3.7V" without that voltage regulating diode need to be terminated at 4.20V, so if you ever do buy any other lithium ion cells in the future that are "3.7V" type, do NOT charge them in the charger that came with your "3.0V" cells, they could explode.

Eric

PS: to CPF: Please stop defaulting to the recommendation of CR123 powered fenix lights. It's not a productive recommendation considering that almost everyone who is recommended one here, goes looking for a rechargeable solution for it. Wolf-Eyes, DereeLight, LumaPower, JetBeam, Pila, Tiablo.... the list grows bigger all the time, we have plenty of options for 18650 powered lights, even Fenix jumped on the bandwagon with the TK11. You know how much it hurts having to tell someone "sorry, your rechargeable options all stink!"?

crazee horse

Banned
WELCOME TO CPF!!!!

---------------------------

Expect about 1/2-1/3 the normal runtime you would get with CR123 primaries while using those RCR123s from glowgadgets. The TK10 can technically run on a pair of 3.7V RCR123s and will have better runtime than any of the supposed "3.0V" rechargeable cells, but even better, would be a light that just runs on a single 18650, with double the watt-hour capacity of a pair of RCR123s, and about the same size. (the TK10 is not compatible with an 18650)

Oh... BTW: the cells in that kit are 3.7V cells with voltage reducing diodes on the output, the charger is set to terminate the charge at around 4.4-4.5V to overcome the voltage shunting device in reverse, normal "3.7V" without that voltage regulating diode need to be terminated at 4.20V, so if you ever do buy any other lithium ion cells in the future that are "3.7V" type, do NOT charge them in the charger that came with your "3.0V" cells, they could explode.

Eric

PS: to CPF: Please stop defaulting to the recommendation of CR123 powered fenix lights. It's not a productive recommendation considering that almost everyone who is recommended one here, goes looking for a rechargeable solution for it. Wolf-Eyes, DereeLight, LumaPower, JetBeam, Pila, Tiablo.... the list grows bigger all the time, we have plenty of options for 18650 powered lights, even Fenix jumped on the bandwagon with the TK11. You know how much it hurts having to tell someone "sorry, your rechargeable options all stink!"?

help? im a total newb and acronyms and stuff are lost on me. "ROP"?

also a half to a third the run times with the batteries i bought? what are the pro"s and con"s with these batteries? they cant be that bad can they? do i need to run them down totally flat before re-charging etc etc etc?
ha, confused? me? you bet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sigh:

just read this https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201375 whilst im sure it explains everything, i really need beginners talk!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
ROP is a hotwire mod for a Maglite. It stands for Roar of Pelican because the bulb being overdriven is made by Pelican. It uses The Pelican Big D bulbs over driven by 6 rechargeable NiMh batteries or 2 Li-ion batteries. Both have to be able to take the 4+ amp of draw.

Don't run Li-ion batteries flat before recharging them, that could damage the batteries. They are usually of a higher voltage then normal CR123s but because they are rechargeable, they have less capacity then a CR123 battery.

There is an electronics subforum where you can check and ask questions.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im a noob to the world of light too, but trust me on one thing, a lot of light can come from a small form factor. I'd say that for your purposes, it would be a 3D/4D Mag that you would like for dual purposes of light and self defence. Why not just get one of those (either 3D/4D) and get a stock drop in from Terralux or one of the other suppliers.

THEN get a TK10/TK11 or a Jetbeam or an Ultrafire C3 (which is one of the more affordable 2 x AA lights around and was also the very first light i got, 1 x AA with an extension tube).

Your journey has just begun

crazee horse

Banned
too late! lol, ive just checked my email inbox, and my TK10 shall be here tomorrow, in time for a long scary walk through the allegedly haunted woods near my house ,tomorrow night with my 15 yr old daughter. she likes creepy things and enjoys being scared! i"ll also be taking my sony video camera with infra red shot. hopefully we"ll see possibly a badger or something, but it"ll be a lot of fun regardless! :popcorn:

the defence thing aint a major issue, im far from small, it would just be hand in case of an "emergency"!:candle:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
now, 1st of all, get "protected" batteries when using Li-Ion rechargeables.
When not using these, they wont survive Your 1st usage
(for the beginner, and almost for the pro, noticeing that the voltage is down below safe levels. And when down under the ABSOLUTE MAX of 2.5 Volts/cell the Li-Ion cell is damaged ultimatively.
"protected" cells have a circuit inside that stops discharging when they get too low)

dont run Li-Ion cells down; they also dont have to be discharged before being charged.

triggerhorse

Newly Enlightened
Hi --from Chilliwack, BC., Canada. I bought a Fenix T1 when it first came out for sale. I bought a TENERGY Li-ion RCR123A Charger with it. It came with 4 Tenergy batteries. The batteries are still recharging great and last about the same time as ever on "bright". I love this light. I like the "white light". I also bought a PilaGL4 because I thought it might be brighter, but I really wish now that I had not wasted my money on it.(for sale too) What light could be better than the T1? (Smaller light maybe).

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
There is a tool for every job - and if not someone will design one.

I understand that fenix makes a good light - and some would consider it a perfect dog walking light. I don't own a fenix, but have several cr123 led lights that are small, bright and nice (also have some AA led mods, as well as CR2 led lights). Today an innova is in my pocket, and a surefire is sitting in my briefcase - usually just carry the surefire.

That said, there is a purpose for the big D cell mag lights - sometimes a club looks conspicuous and a flashlight does not. If you want ILLUMINATION, you can light up a baseball field with some of the Mag Mods as well.

I don't burn my 5D mag everyday, so have not led'ed yet (kept it classic, its about 20 years old now) - but it is my go to club when the situation warrants.

Al Combs

Enlightened
well WOW! im blown away, ive recently been looking for a powerful flashlight for walking the dog in non lite areas and have looked around a few shops etc but so far no one really knew what they where talking about. i thought i"d give the web a look to find a little more in depth info and i found this place lol. im quite shocked.:twothumbs
its torch city. i never knew there was so much to know.
this will be my first decent torch, and was looking to spend arond £50 ($100) ish to start with. have been looking at Maglites as i thought they were the best, still what do i know? from what ive read too the led"s arent touching the krypton bulbs either, can someone condense all this for me and point me in the right direction? in an ideal world i"d have a 3-4d flashlight (big enough for defence in the woods should i need it!) with a good strong bright beam and a good few hours burn time. with a possible view to upgrading/modifying?
go on slate me :tinfoil:

being a typical bloke this is going to be just the start for me lol

Welcome to CPF. And speaking of welcome, The Welcome Mat is a good place to have a look. Good luck with your new torch!:thumbsup: