• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: P60 Drop in Light Engine

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 219

Just sent PP for xml2 5000K dedomed
SMO ~4.2a 2mode (lo\hi) w memory
I spaced on sending my addy thru PayPal & will PM it to u now ;)

I'm excited!

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 219

Vinh.
May I ask how do you drive a XM-L2 right up to 6amps when CREE indicates the max as 3amps?

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 2

I read there is not much difference in heat transfer between copper vs aluminum PCB.

There is however significantly more heat transfer when the bottom of the LED (dielectric layer) is shaved off then direct bonded.
This was done on an XML here, I don't know if the XPG has the same properties but I assume it would.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 2

You cant direct bond a LED to Aluminum as alumium don't bond with solder.

I do direct copper bonding with my XML Copper PCB though
DSC01806.jpg

I read there is not much difference in heat transfer between copper vs aluminum PCB.

There is however significantly more heat transfer when the bottom of the LED (dielectric layer) is shaved off then direct bonded.
This was done on an XML here, I don't know if the XPG has the same properties but I assume it would.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

XP-E2 4000K & XM-L2 500K are in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the upside down picture. But who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool Vinh! I had my first experience with Mouser recently and was very very impressed! I selected economy ship, they overnighted to me! I placed the order at 5 in the evening and had my emitters in hand at 9:30 the next morning! In all fairness, I am only about a hundred miles down the road from em, but still!

Can't wait to get my drop-in that you built for me, first experience with Nichia's 219 emitter. Looking forward to more...

Dale

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

The Nichia 219 is all about tint as its a 200 lumen LED...

Cool Vinh! I had my first experience with Mouser recently and was very very impressed! I selected economy ship, they overnighted to me! I placed the order at 5 in the evening and had my emitters in hand at 9:30 the next morning! In all fairness, I am only about a hundred miles down the road from em, but still!

Can't wait to get my drop-in that you built for me, first experience with Nichia's 219 emitter. Looking forward to more...

Dale

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope the hype holds true on the 219! I'm a photographer and want the P60 from you to be able to take some spur-of-the-moment macro shots. I've got some other customs for other jobs, including my new HF with U2 that puts out some 600+ Lumens from a 2" keychain light! :)

What host do you recommend for this drop-in? I"m looking at a SolarForce from LightHound, any particular one that you'd say to go with?

Did you make that light in your gallery with the brass head on a 4Sevens tube? Really like that one! Might have to get you do something in the extreme range for me the early part of 2013. :)

Dale

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

That's a limited (200 made) solid Copper gold plated head as prototype from 47.

I hope the hype holds true on the 219! I'm a photographer and want the P60 from you to be able to take some spur-of-the-moment macro shots. I've got some other customs for other jobs, including my new HF with U2 that puts out some 600+ Lumens from a 2" keychain light! :)

What host do you recommend for this drop-in? I"m looking at a SolarForce from LightHound, any particular one that you'd say to go with?

Did you make that light in your gallery with the brass head on a 4Sevens tube? Really like that one! Might have to get you do something in the extreme range for me the early part of 2013. :)

Dale

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Of course it is! And I can't have one! lol

Reckon it's a cheap SolarForce for me, this time around. Thanks for your help.

Dale

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Vinh,

Is it possible to still get the drivers with the 50ma low from your Ultimate P60 thrower thread for the XM-L2 and XP-E2 drop ins?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

YES SiR

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

glad to see the leds are in - please be sure to let us know how a test run goes

I completely agree with vinh here on currents. The only reason I am ordering a 6A high is because I am going to treat it like a nitrous boosted drag racer. Not meant for endurance races, hell... not even meant to go around corners! A quick burst of blinding light for 30.... maybe 60 seconds at the most, and then down to medium or even low for practical every day use.

If vinh tests the new leds and doesnt think 6a or other high currents are feasible for even just a quick burst of light, LISTEN TO HIM. I am pretty sure he has spent lots of time and resources pushing leds until the turn bright blue and bellow smoke or blow across the room. :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Just tried out the 4.5A XM-L2 5000K Just Beautiful Tint! The best Neutral tint I have ever seen! Noticably brighter than T5 5000K!

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :)

Trying it out XP-E2 Neutral next

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast

How does that compare to the Nichia 219?

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is really interesting. Never knew that it could be pushed this far. Always thought that if driven past the manufacturers ratings, the led or LE will go poof. Thanks.

Vinh's drop ins have always worked well for me...I've always look at his drop ins as a turbo charged hot rod, max out the potential and make them more fun to use but one that need you to engage your brain and know the limits.

OTOH something like an under driven Malkoff will always be more reliable, simple and safe to use...very much like a Camry.

Different taste for different people of course but I do know what I like most when I pick up one of my lights to use (...and I have over 20 Malkoff fwiw)

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 219

I'm going to send PayPal for my order tonight, and I wanted to know which XM-L2 I should choose to de-dome as 5000k is my favorite tint.

Let me know Vinh!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 2

You do not want to dedome the 5000K XM-L2 I have right now! The tint is the most beautiful I have ever seen from any LED Period! Save the dedome for the XM-L2 cool white may be :)

I am now thinking if I should upgrade my K40 to XM-L2 6500K or 5000K. Decision decision. The TN31 will get a XM-L2 6500K de-dome for sure :)

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast

DE-DOMED 6500k XM-L2 IT IS THEN! PayPal coming when I get on a computer to choose my options!

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 2

Looks like I'll add another XM-L2 5000K 4.2A 3-modes 100/60/10% w/memory, OP reflector please. Just sent you another PM

Latest posts