• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: P60 Drop in Light Engine

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 2

:poke: bumpy.
yes, what would be the difference in the neutral I see in the new XM-L2 what I dont already see in the XM-L T6 (excluding the 20% extra light) ?
any pictures I can like compare with ?

thanks.

wow, possible to mod a PD32UE T6 neutral to that anyone ?. what difference would I see in that neutral what i see already in a T6 neutral...which looks pretty creamy impressive already..?

would be good, good though anyway if Vinh says that!.

thanks.

Last edited:

lightdelight

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 2

I just received red, green, and blue xp-e dropins from Vinh. Wow! They are an order of magnitude greater than what I was working with. Can't beat his work. Thanks for all the help!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Thank you all for answerign the questions for me. Saves me a whole lot of time :)

I do want to make a clarificcation on teh CREE MCE though.

The CREE MCE is a Quad smaller die LED with each die approximately the size and output of an XRE LED. The MCE is great for flood applications but not throw. Due to the LEDs layout design there are usually a donut hoel effect especially in smooth reflectors. The MCE is about a 900-1000 lumen max. XML or XM-L2 can hit +1500 lumen Max. Due to the single die design, smaller footprint and significantly higher surface brightness, the XM-L2 is more superior than the MCE in every aspect I can think of.

Long story short: If you want Massive lumen with good flood and throw go for the XM-L2

Want the best throw at 1/2 to 1/3 the lumen then choose the XP-E2

Want a bit of both flood and throw then choose XP-G2.

My favorite is the XP-G2 for small lights and XM-L2 for larger lights.

I do get lots of order for the XP-E2 as good throw can be achieve even in a small light.

I myself like massive flood in small lights and massive throw in large lights. LOL :)

Picture
Source BudgetLightForum
http://igirder.com/lights/xml-dropin/800/ledcompare.jpg

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks, you say the XM-L2 is more superior than the MCE in every aspect you can think of, - so what is your opinion on this statement taken from darksucks.com's site;

About the Cree MCE:

The MCE features 4 LED dies clustered onto one chip. This makes a very powerful light, but because of the large surface area, is best suited to "flood" applications. Generally speaking, the larger the emitter area, the "floodier" the beam.
The MCE is an older technology that the XML, but for a small hand-held light I think it's a superior LED. The XML is brighter, but it just can't beat the MCE for beam quaility and color accuracy. It also costs 3X as much as the XML and is one reason flashlight manufacurers are eagerly embracing the newer XML. I'd be happy to put that extra $10 in my pocket, but it just doesn't make a better flashlight.

mce-600.jpg

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

"beam quaility and color accuracy" is really personal preference IMO. And IMO the XML or the XM-L2 is superior in both beam quality and color accuracy compared to the MCE. Better efficiency also can not be ignored.

thanks, so what is your opinion on this statement taken from darksucks.com's site;

About the Cree MCE:

The MCE features 4 LED dies clustered onto one chip. This makes a very powerful light, but because of the large surface area, is best suited to "flood" applications. Generally speaking, the larger the emitter area, the "floodier" the beam.
The MCE is an older technology that the XML, but for a small hand-held light I think it's a superior LED. The XML is brighter, but it just can't beat the MCE for beam quaility and color accuracy. It also costs 3X as much as the XML and is one reason flashlight manufacurers are eagerly embracing the newer XML. I'd be happy to put that extra $10 in my pocket, but it just doesn't make a better flashlight.

mce-600.jpg

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks, so what is the difference with the XML-T6 i have in my PD32UE and an XM-L2 in terms of the neutral colour ?.
any pictures to compare ?.
thanks so much...appreciated loads, loads.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks, so what is the difference with the XML-T6 i have in my PD32UE and an XM-L2 in terms of the neutral colour ?.
any pictures to compare ?.
thanks so much...appreciated loads, loads.

XM-L T6 bin used in PD32UE is neutral white. I don't know the exact tint bin, but it's safe to say that it's around 5,000K.

XM-L2 U2 bin, on the other hand, is cool white, at 6,500K.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

hi thanks, tint bin 3C maybe.
and oh, ok, so no neutral in XM-L2?

thanks lots..

XM-L T6 bin used in PD32UE is neutral white. I don't know the exact tint bin, but it's safe to say that it's around 5,000K.

XM-L2 U2 bin, on the other hand, is cool white, at 6,500K.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

hi thanks, tint bin 3C maybe.
and oh, ok, so no neutral in XM-L2?

thanks lots..

XM-L2 is available in neutral tint, albeit with lower overall output.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

so sticking with the T6 with higher output better right?
i was going to change my LED to a XM-L2 neutral white.
shipping off to the US to switch.

good idea?.

thanks.

XM-L2 is available in neutral tint, albeit with lower overall output.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let's put it this way, in order of dimmest to brightest;

XM-L T6 -> XM-L U2 -> XM-L2 T6 -> XM-L2 U2

jwyj

Enlightened

Paypal sent, please ship to the Paypal address,

-XM-L2 LEDs
-$35, 1 Mode Direct Drive Max
-smooth reflector (please do not glue the reflector)
-Neutral 5000K

Total $35

tuju77

Newly Enlightened

hi vinh, I'm very new with flashlight mod and I already changed my surefire nitrogen G2 with XM-L U2, bought it from ebay and was advertised for 800lms but in reality 500-600lms max. What can u suggest me if I want to go 1000lms?thx before

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 COMBINED XP-E2, XM-L2, XP-G2, SBT, SST, Color LEDS, Nichia 219

For anyone questioning high currents (copper on bottom)

Cree_XM-L_U2_LCK-LED,_16mm_STAR_2.jpg

Cree_XM-L_U2_LEDTECH,_16mm_Cu_STAR_2.jpg

source

Wow- if Vinh could get his hands on copper boards/mounts for XPG2 I think we would have some serious potential.

The star = THE ENEMY!

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow- if Vinh could get his hands on copper boards/mounts for XPG2 I think we would have some serious potential.

The star = THE ENEMY!

i believe he pushes his xpg2s (and xpe2s) to around 2.27amps with good results from what I have seen ( i do not own one though)... perhaps he can correct me if i am wrong

kevin from lambda lights pushes an xpg2 to around 3 amps from what I remember (although it is mounted on a big copper heat sink)

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's so obvious that copper is twice as efficient at transferring heat, why are stars still aluminum? And why are they only .062 thick? Seems to me a 1/4" thick copper star would solve a lot of problems. And then the base for most P60 drop-ins is made from brass, a very poor heat conductor by comparison. Again, why not copper? That would act as a big heat sink to pull the emitters heat from the star and carry it down the host superhighway. I know Copper is expensive as compared to Aluminum or Brass but we're not talking massive 1' wide chunks of the stuff here! And the lights are usually quite expensive, considering that great effort has been spent to select the cheaper, less effective materials.

My point is, offer a thick copper star or direct mount the emitter to a very solidly built copper P60 base and it'd be an immediate advantage! Constant sell-out potential and it's a win-win for everybody! :)

Vinh, wouldn't you choose an all copper base, star, reflector even if these parts were available at a decent price? Man, I'm gonna have to talk to the machine shop down the street and see what it'd take to get them set up to make these bases! I know for fact that once the program is set up for a CNC machine the rest is a simple matter. A couple of different versions to accept a single emitter or multiple emitters should be all that's needed, or am I missing something? Wouldn't the negative connections all be made at the copper base/heat sink itself? So only a small through-hole would be needed for a positive wire, right? Why has no one done this? And a simple search on Aluminum tells me that T6061 Aluminum is all about strength, not the best choice for heat conduction, so why has the flashlight industry chosen this as heat-sink material? Host body absolutely, Grade III anodizing and all, but inside there's no need for strength, go with the best conductor right?

Rant over.

Keep up the good work Vinh, I'll send you some copper bases if I manage to have them made. ;)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

XP-E2 4000K & 5000K is in stock

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

My customers never complained about the price. If everything copper exist I would surely would source it and make it an available option which I think many customers will be more than happy to pay the extra material costs. Unfortunately, I cant find copper pills or Copper XPG PCB anywhere :-(

"Wouldn't the negative connections all be made at the copper base/heat sink itself?"

LED negative is different than Battery negative. If you make the LED negative connected to the base or or body of the pill then the drop in will be direct drive.

Several companies are using Copper PCB in their lights now. TN31, K40, some jetbeams uses copper PCB in theirs. Making the entire host out of copper would increase the price and weight up substantially.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

hi vinh, I'm very new with flashlight mod and I already changed my surefire nitrogen G2 with XM-L U2, bought it from ebay and was advertised for 800lms but in reality 500-600lms max. What can u suggest me if I want to go 1000lms?thx before

This host is made of plastic right? Plastic cant handle the 1000 lumen heat.