XECCON SSK-33 HA HID 35W/28W--Mod to a Shorty!

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XECCON SSK-33 Hard Anodized HID 35W/28W

Hey ma_sha:

Now that you had a good look at the internals and components of the SSK-33, what is your opinion regarding the build quality as compared to a light like the L35?? Does the SSK-33 have better build quality than other Chinese made ebay HIDs? What about the quality of the switch, ballast, reflector and bulb?

Thanks.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have L35, but I have Mozo which is made by same factory as L35 , the SSK-33 appears to have better components.

SSK-33 is the new Top of the line model from Xeccon, build quality is a notch above the rest of Xeccon model & other ebay HIDs. The switch is very nice, took me a while to figure out how to wire to 3x18650.

Reflector is the same as the rest China HIDs, ballast is better, can't really tell if the bulb is different or not.

Walterk

Enlightened

The top end looks locked & no access:
dscf0159hy.jpg

Are that not just 4 tamper-proof boltheads? Ebay and DX has bits for them.

JulianP

Enlightened

Once those boltheads are out, the warrantly will definitively be voided. :naughty:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

You don't want to mess with the 4 bolts. It secure a under plate with springs to support the 3 contact pins. the top plate is press fit, it can be pushed out from under side, there's room alone side of 18650 to push.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still waiting to the arrival of 3x18650 panasonic 2900mah batteries, but I finished the Body work:

the joint is right below the tail cap, hidden in place of original groove pattern:
dscf0290n.jpg

The finished light is slightly shorter than a 2D Mag & just a hair taller than banana :eek:
dscf0291v.jpg

Question to you folks:

The light has a protection circuit in the tail cap, has short circuit protection,
may be over charge/over discharge protection for the pack.

Now, do I need to add a protection circuit that could manage cells individually like this?
http://www.all-battery.com/pcbfor111...v65a32057.aspx

Since I have reduced from 6x18650 to only 3x18650, I have cut the risk of fire & explosion in half, would adding protection circuit that manages individual cells be Over Kill? (The original 6x18650 battery pack doesn't monitor individual or pair of cells)

Last edited:

Enlightened

You are going to charge the modded shorty cells individually right? Risk is more like during charging, and of course higher when they age. Anyway I guess if you do not use it "professionally", you'd have gotten rid of the light faster than you think.
Moreover you are using Panasonic.

Any issues IN the light = blowing out the front and back (any weak points there) like a recoiless rifle.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are going to charge the modded shorty cells individually right? Risk is more like during charging, and of course higher when they age. Anyway I guess if you do not use it "professionally", you'd have gotten rid of the light faster than you think.
Moreover you are using Panasonic.

Any issues IN the light = blowing out the front and back (any weak points there) like a recoiless rifle.

Taking batteries out individually is a pain, that's not how this light or any other ebay HID
battery pack was designed, so No, I can't charge the cells individually.

They are meant to be charged as a pack.

The question is, since I am building a new pack, is it necessary to add an additional circuit (Which appears to monitor & protect each cell individually, as it has solder connection point to each cell)

It already has the tail cap circuit does protection for the whole pack.
I am not sure if it's necessary, as 3x18650 is much less risky already vs. originally 6x18650.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alright, better safe than sorry, I got this PCB off ebay:
pcbx.jpg

Enlightened

Heh heh....I thought that since you are already doing such a hardcore mod by sawing a new light into half, you'd have thought of modding something like a removable holder into it instead of being in a pack.

My 2 Ebay HID packs (the 6600mah one) cuts off pretty ok at the terminals, 12.4 or 12.5V always. Remember I was doing like > 10 tries in runtime test? And after that I used a couple of cycles. But I'd not rule out a faulty cell, though the 2 packs really pack in very similar runtimes on the same light. Like i said, moreover you are using Panasonic cells, still so-called unsafe chemistry but then we are really guarding against faulty new cells (ie Ultrafire/Trustfire stories).

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 2 Ebay HID packs (the 6600mah one) cuts off pretty ok at the terminals, 12.4 or 12.5V always.

That's 3S3P = 9x 18650, a bit too many 18650 for my comfort. I am not sure they have a circuit for individual cells, since my SSK-33 battery doesn't have them. (Does have a protection circuit for the whole pack)

Anyway, I will wire this individual cell protection circuit into the pack, so each cell will have over charge, over discharge protection, plus there is a tempreture protection as well.

Combine that with only running 3x18650, I think my battery pack will be as safe as it gets, much safer than the stock form 6x18650 w/o individual cell protection.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Generally no issue, I use quite lousy 3rd party packs (a lot) for cameras, in the forums also no issue. Its really during charging. I always monitor the Ebay pack myself for heat, and I am charing on a non-flammable surface. We have smoke detector as well (plus HEPA/activated charcoal masks hoods for fires, 1kg dry powder A/B/C fire extinguishers). heh heh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_qNO2Y0

Note the temp, if you do monitor it even by hand you tend to know that it has a problem long before it poofs. Fast charging like 1-2hrs are naturally more risky if certain conditions are not met I guess.

OT : Not too bad I guess, compared to these :

Outside hotel : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rW8G4fLT6k
Outside hotel again : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhh57uy-4c
Salute cake outside hotel : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_-JUXvmZU0
Outside apt : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BC8rYLTaeM

I really like pyro (need to go to my wife's Indonesian town to fire them cakes but we do get 1.3Gs there legally)
Didn't manage to search for any fireworks on sale during my China/Taiwan trips though. I saw people lighting them at night in China on a normal night and during Taiwan elections in the streets.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Amazing firework videos!

Reminds me growing up in Beijing, before they banned public use of fireworks in Beijing, we used to do firework fights at Chinese new year, two groups of kids firing at each other over street corners, shoot firework side ways & throw jumbo fire crackers toward opposing team, some of them size of a small grenade :eek:

That was quite insane, so much fun though, but there's always some kids got hurt at new year eve, which is usually how it ends.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

ma_sha:

How would you describe the cells in the stock SSK-33 battery pack, are they quality cells? Are the standard cells easily replaceable with AW ones?

That's 3S3P = 9x 18650, a bit too many 18650 for my comfort. I am not sure they have a circuit for individual cells, since my SSK-33 battery doesn't have them. (Does have a protection circuit for the whole pack)

Anyway, I will wire this individual cell protection circuit into the pack, so each cell will have over charge, over discharge protection, plus there is a tempreture protection as well.

Combine that with only running 3x18650, I think my battery pack will be as safe as it gets, much safer than the stock form 6x18650 w/o individual cell protection.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are stack of ICR 2600mah cells. they are nearly impossible to get out & replace,
as they were glued in place.

I cut it short & finished my Mod with 3x2900mah panasonic 18650.
The AW 2900 is re-branded panasonic 2900 with IC

I don't suggest anyone else trying this, the cutting vented one of the cells, I had to throw it out in the yard to finish the venting, eventually all 6 cells vented triggered by chain reaction.

My finished light is 250mm, almost identical in size to Microfire KR3500 (252mm),
but has overcome of of the Microfire limittions, such as:

• better tint 5000K vs.8000k Microfire
  • two mode vs microfire single mode
  • longer run time using top capacity 2900mah vs. 2600mah microfire
  • I can now upgrade my pack in the future when panasonic 3300mah 18650 comes out:) while microfire expensive battery replacement stays at 2600mah.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

It always start in 35W mode. If you immediately switch to 28W mode, it'll actually flicker slightly,
it needs high current for fast warm up, so staring out at 28W mode isn't a good option.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey ma_sha, did you order the standard 6000K version or did you request a special 5000K version from the seller?

Thanks.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I requested 5000K version from the seller.