XECCON SSK-33 HA HID 35W/28W--Mod to a Shorty!

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XECCON SSK-33 Hard Anodized HID 35W/28W

I wonder if the SSK-33 is a better thrower than the Olight SR90? The SR90 has the advantage of having a much bigger reflector, but the SSK-33 has significantly higher output. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare both lights side by side and comment which is a better long distance performer?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think there another guy on CPF with SSK-33, I've had a SR90 but I sold it, too big & heavy.

You can probably get your answer by looking into the link on the post above. My XML Shorty King-of-Throw , an XML U2, 4.2A, 3" reflector led light at 127,000 lux will out throw SR90. However, its no match to the SSK-33, in real life, its not the lumens, neither the lux along, it's the Lux combined with "Lumens in the beam" will ultimately decide who's the ultimate thrower, the SSK-33 will win for sure.

I might be willing to part with my SSK-33 shorty, if you are interested, make me an offer by PM.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

They don't list the SSK-33, probably because its MicroiFire clone look? lawsuit waiting to happen.

JulianP

Enlightened

It would by nicer if Xeccon HID flashlights used replaceable 18650 batteries. I have a Xeccon 28/35 and one of the batteries developed an internal short. I was able to fix it, with great difficulty. With the 65W /75W models, battery failures could be even more frequent.

JulianP

Enlightened

Hi JulianP,

The battery is replaceable, you could get a backup battery from the distributor. If you have any question about your light, you could contact me directly, I would like to help.

Thank you Faye,

I already got a backup battery from the distributor. I reviewed the Xeccon HID here and found it very practical. I would still prefer a battery where the 18650's can be replaced. In ten or fifteen years the flashlight will still work (I hope) but the batteries will not. The distributor might not be in business, and the company might have discontinued the product and its spares. 18650 batteries will probably still be available, perhaps with a much, much higher capacity. I bet they will have a 6000mAh rating, making the Xeccon run for hours.

See where I am coming from? Proprietary batteries essentially mean the product has a shelf life of a few years, and therefore not a good investment. That goes for collectors, emergency services, armed forces etc.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you are interested in the SSK-33 HID torch? If so, please don't worry, it will be updated soon. Didn't update all the flashlights in the website yet, but keep updating now.

Thanks. but I already have the SSK-33, which I cut & modified to a shorty, thus this thread :). don't need another one.

As far as the SSK-15? 3-mode HID that JulianP wishes to have upgradable battery, there is a version of this HID in China that comes with a 3x18650 battery holder, but not sure if there's modes. This is the best set-up, one can safely charge the battery outside and also upgrade batteries to the latest Panasonic High capacity cells at ease.

This is the way to go! Maybe Xeccon should introduce a Xeccon brand of the same set-up & give it 2 or 3 modes?
The only draw back is that its still the generic body, body tube is fatter than the SSK-33, its unattractive & a bit too wide to hold, one should try to make it as slim as possible.

The SSK-33 body tube design is the best! Make it shorter & runs on 3x18650 battery rack!
299hid.jpg

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

"As far as the SSK-15? 3-mode HID that JulianP wishes to have upgradable battery, there is a version of this HID in China that comes with a 3x18650 battery holder"

ma_sha1, could you point me in the right direction to purchase this version with the 3x18650 holder? Thanks. :)

The SSK-15 looks very interesting to me but I want to be able to install my own 18650s. That's the only thing that has kept me from buying it.

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

Faye, currently I am using Redilast 2900s which are very commonly used here at CPF. You can see pictures of them on Redilast's website. 3100s are also now available.

I want the option to use whatever cells I want and change them whenever I want just like with any of my other lights.

What I REALLY want is a 75w HID that isn't 380mm long! That's way too big. If I could get a 75w in something under about 250mm I'd be all over it (even 300mm would be ok.)

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

Faye, I'm very interested in the new 75w. A few questions since it's not on your website.

1. How do I buy it?
2. What's it called?
3. What is the MAH of it's batteries? 7800 I assume.
4. Any idea what kind of LUX it has?
5. What lumen?
6. What color temperature?
7. Is it the same host as your SSK-10?
8. If not, how is it different?
9. Is it made in silver or only black?

Sorry if that was more than just a few! Thanks! :)

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Faye:

1) Any chance that the SSK-33 can be factory upgraded to a 65w ballast model and called like a "SSK-33+"?
2) Instead of a 4mode(35/55/75+SOS) ballast for the SSK-20S, can Xeccon produce a 2-mode with a simpler 35w low and 75w high setting, or is that too demanding for the ballast?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, my hands are getting itchy, so I decided to cut it open again & reduce the length further,
I was able to cut it down to only 9" total length, ~228mm.

The battery/tail cap section is now shorter than the head/ballast section:
61715792.jpg

11851871.jpg

Slightly shorter than mag 2C now :devil:
29325970.jpg

98492645.jpg

JulianP

Enlightened

It's looking better and better. Somehow though I don't think this will be the last mod. Perhaps a better reflector?

I forgot to ask before, can you focus the beam on this model? (as much as any HID can be focused, which is ...not much).
  • :naughty:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

You read my mind :)

And the focus works reasnably well.

It's looking better and better. Somehow though I don't think this will be the last mod. Perhaps a better reflector?

I forgot to ask before, can you focus the beam on this model? (as much as any HID can be focused, which is ...not much).
  • :naughty:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man I really appreciate you taking the time to share pictures etc on the forum. I lean from your threads and they are never short on eye candy. Loved that thread with the super lights firing at that island too.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks! You are doing awesome yourself, taking the lead in super powerful mag modes :thumbsup:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to drag this thread but did you continue with this project ? A new reflector was planned?

I note this HID on the auction site and was going to plan on cutting it down to size.

Mohan

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a 3" deep reflector but no big improvement, plus its too long & no room to fit.
So this is it, there no way to improve it any further.

Be careful with cutting it down, if you cut open the li-ion battery pack, it'll ignite fire!
If you are interested in buying this light I made, PM me.