XENO S3A Review (XM-L U2 1B | 1 x 18650 / 2 x CR123A)

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason is correct, there shouldn't be any difference. As mentioned in my review, this was likely due to ambient temp fluctuations which will impact meter readings. I've remeasured using both batteries (freshly charged) and they produce roughly the same ouput which is approx. 340lms @ 30 seconds.

EDIT: Look at the current draw, they are all the same (including AW IMR @ 958, I'll add runtime as soon as this cell is complete).

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unprotected cells can be used but just need to be very mindful to not let it overdischarge since I didn't encounter any low voltage cut-off during runtime testing on High.

Is this light broken, such that it is supposed to have this protection by design and lacks it, or, is it not in the specs to begin with?

If it isn't in the design parameters, that should be right at the top of the list for a Version Two "features that need to be incorporated."

EDIT: In candle lamp's review, he notes there is a 2.7v cutoff. :)

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct and I didn't want to unnecessarily overdischarge the batteries thus didn't hit the low voltage cut-off. With the 2 x primaries, the voltage was likely above this when I finally terminated the run thus didn't hit it with that either.

As time allows, I'll try to see if I can validate it (hoping to get a desktop PSU soon so I can do voltage sweeps).

Cheers,
Tim

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for adding the CR123 runtimes.

I'm a CR123 fan and have been noticing a big difference in runtimes of lights on both CR123 and the 18650.

Can someone explain why the 18650 has approximately twice the runtime of 2xCR123?

I always assumed the 18650 was somewhat equivalent to 2xCR123.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 x CR123A's is 6v x 1.3Ah = 7.8Wh
1 x RL3100 is 3.6v x 3.1Ah = 11.16Wh

Thus roughly 43% increase, however given the S3A is perfectly regulated, it'll need to boost as the voltage drops and the CR123A's likely can not handle this increased draw as well as the RL3100.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add'l material and pics added along w/updated runtime graph and Initial Conclusion section (search 6/20).

Cheers,
Tim

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many 'dogbones' does the V1 have?
The V2 still has one for the serial number, but has knurling.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean the fluting that runs parallel with the light, it's five.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried yet but looks like you could stick a flat tip into the little gap to lift up the coupling. I'll give it a shot later and report back on the experience.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried yet but looks like you could stick a flat tip into the little gap to lift up the coupling. I'll give it a shot later and report back on the experience.

do not use metal. the ano is so rubbish it's easy to damage.
this clip is crap seriously. it's too weak to really grab onto anything and not deep enough for the pocket. i think you are more likely to lose the light using the clip.

i used floss to remove the clip. video coming up.

edit:
video link
http://youtu.be/nI5eWJBdSso

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty neat, thx for sharing. FWIW, I used a small flat tip screwdriver and yes, it did incur a nick to the clip's finish but overall it was pretty easy to remove:

XENO should've also machined another groove at the other end near the tail cap so the clip could be reversible at least and perhaps carry a little deeper due to the positioning:

(note: clip was not tightened in above pic thus the gap)

Cheers,
Tim

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm. i think your way is easier. i noticed my way sort of deform the clip just slightly that it wouldn't lock back into the original location.
is your clip able to reinstall the same way from the factory?

yeah it would be better on the other end. i still think the clip material is too thin and doesn't have good tension. and the way the clip is positioned, 1/3 of the light is already out of the pocket so it's easy for the rest to go with it.

i have the V2 and notice that the mode order is M-L-H not H-M-L. not a deal killer but good to know.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, I'm having a VERY difficult time getting the clip back on now... =P I think the trick it to apply pressure on the opposite end of the "dove tail" so that the "handles" align with the groove but looks like I'll need some kind of tool to apply enough pressure to click the dovetail together.

Agreed that overall, the clip is a weak point for the S3A. I'll let you know if I do manage to reinstall it.

@THE dAY - Thx!

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
from trusted dealers i am informed that this xeno model does not sell too well. it is a very disappointing sales item so far. the good news is, it was updated to V2, i.e. XENO S3A V2 with a better switch and body knurling.

check it out, this is an awesome new switch!!

103125172ssmall.jpg

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
from trusted dealers i am informed that this xeno model does not sell too well. it is a very disappointing sales item so far. the good news is, it was updated to V2, i.e. XENO S3A V2 with a better switch and body knurling.

check it out, this is an awesome new switch!!

103125172ssmall.jpg

It's a good light but really solely on the fact they have neutral and warm readily available in a small package.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great review,just bought one 5 mins ago so should get in the week.Cracking deal for £15 so around $24ish ...........

Latest posts