Xenonics Nighthunter One help

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well AceDan, I'm not sure if you were actually ever seeking help from Xenonics or just calling them "next to useless" but if you do need help, I guess you'll PM me. I have Vicky's ext and she seems to be helpful.

Obviously you're going to incur costs if your light isn't under warranty but I honestly don't know what their warranty policy is because I haven't pursued this any further. Like you stated, most of us aren't Xenonics advocates because it's an under performer when compared to the Maxabeam.

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
Good morning guys,
Thanks for making contact with Xenonics. I've not called them as now based in UK. I emailed on 4 occasions over the last 3 weeks. Two to customer service of whom sent me manuals prior to requiring support, and so I replied to that same person. The other two emails I sent where to the customer support emailing address they supply and a guy in the forces on the warranty card. No reply from any...hence my "useless" statement. No offence implied.

I should imagine both are out of warranty despite being in new condition. So, being in the UK poses me problems and that's why I'm trying to find support to self-diagnose. So everyone who has offered, especially bvh, I'm extremely grateful too.

Never sure on under performers but does the maxabeam have a covert lens attachment? Besides, I don't have one but two nh1s which have been more than perfect for me :)

Thanks for your comments and call to Xenonics on my behalf. I'll PM you :)

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
Patriot, I can't pm you as apparently you have too many pm's already :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks AceDan, all cleared out. I noticed that my CPF supporter subscription just ended which shrinks the mail box size. Time to renew....

P.S. I understand better now about your difficulties and being overseas. I can think of other manufacturers that you actually have to call since they don't seem to answer email. I also understand the mentality of a, "do it yourself-er" and no one is better at it than BVH. The projects that I've seen him take on blow my mind. Between guys like him and any support that Vicky can give, perhaps you'll have two working NH1's in the end. :)

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Patriot, that is very nice of you to say, Thank You. I don't know if you visit the machining sub forum but there are some true magicians over there who produce museum quality products!

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I've PMd you successfully now. Ive been in touch with that seller selling USHIO bulbs. Will order one to the uk on sat.

BVH, anything you can advise when I start taking this torch apart. If I get a voltmeter, where do I start?

Guys, how do upload pics here?

BVH

Flashaholic
I use the image host "Photobucket" It's free. Upload them to your account and then when viewing them in your album, moving your mouse cursor over the pic will bring up a cloud with 4 link options. Copy the last one "img" and paste it in the body of your CPF post and your image will appear upon refresh.

You have 4 sources of power btw the two lights. As I mentioned, chances are very slim that you're not getting good power to the light but you probably want to be absolutely sure. With your Voltmeter probes, you need to get to a place where you can probe the + and - input wires/connections from the power supply or the + and - leads from the battery to verify that when you flip the switch momentarily, that you have the minimum Voltage stated on the light/in the manual. I think you may have said 12V. If you end up having to do this at or near the ballast, then be careful not to have your probes or body parts around around high voltage components so you don't get zapped. Pics will help because I am not familiar at all with the ballast nor layout of the components in the NH. If Voltage is good, then you'll want to look at all the components on the ballast circuit board. (I'm assuming that the ballast is an open frame type where you can see all the parts, resistors, diodes, coils, etc. If it's sealed, then not much can be done beyond this point. Look for any obvious burned, discolored parts, evidence of arcing, loose wire connections, solder joints that may have come apart. Again being careful, you may need to make some temporary input power connections so you can look at the ballast when flipping the switch. Short pieces of wire with alligator clips work well. You'll be looking for obvious arcs from a high voltage part. Based on the buzz your hearing, something might be visible. I think that's enough for now. Keep in mind, I am not an electronics expert nor even a journeyman but I can sometimes find an issue with a circuit. Many times not. Sometimes, it just comes down to swapping parts until it works. Having the new bulb will pretty much narrow it down to ballast or bulb if input power is good.

Last edited:

stevo2

Newly Enlightened
Xenonics Nighthunter One problem, mine blew up.

I am new to the this light, but it looks like an extremely impressive torch! I plugged it in following the directions, hit the button and the light began to flash in a strobe effect. Turned it immediately off because I do not believe it has a strobe function. Let it charge more and then gave it a second shot while it was still plugged in, and it actually blew out part of the black plastic housing in the back (was not hot)! After thinking I just broke a very expensive light, i tried it one more time 12 hours later and it worked! But now as I try to recharge the thing it strobes while its plugged in... any ideas on what is wrong or what went wrong with the light or how I am messing it up?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: Xenonics Nighthunter One problem, mine blew up.

Sounds like the batteries got so warm/hot while charging that something expanded and displaced important pieces. What did Xenonics warranty department say?

stevo2

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like the batteries got so warm/hot while charging that something expanded and displaced important pieces. What did Xenonics warranty department say?

I havent had the oppotunity to get a hold of them yet, out in a COP in Afghanistan. The light still operates, just 100mph taped the plastic housing that cracked back up. I just dont want to add my light to the list of things that might blow up in my hands! It was properly plugged in and charging, first time using it in a couple of months, hit the switch, litght started to strobe and then it "blew" some of the back end housing out, and now it seems to work just fine. So I can call it fixed....???

I really appreciate the reply and help!

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
The strobing effect from the Xenonics is from the battery being low charge. Have you actually pulled the battery out to look at it?

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened

Do what I did.. Convert the NH to a 70 watt Xenon with 4S lipo battery. The host is great and the reflector is top notch with amazing throw. You wont be disappointed.
IMG_0048_zpsf6b3a4fa.jpg
IMG_0044_zps7102e87b.jpg
IMG_0043_zps12a90693.jpg
IMG_0047_zps19d3b754.jpg
IMG_0049_zps2eccc362.jpg
IMG_0046_zps74666616.jpg

nh1_zpse3952184.jpg
nh4_zpsc11e75ed.jpg
nh3_zpsd1d821ae.jpg
nh5_zps5ef96ad1.jpg
nh8_zps8479607a.jpg

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't the pleasure/curse of a NH in my collection yet but I think I agree with eyesonfire, conversion may be the easiest! Lol
But in all seriousness, bvh is pointing you the right direction.....
Checking battery/ps voltage under load, as well as amperage draw is stage 1, if everything is kosher, then acquire a new bulb and try again, if still no go, then ballast is your most likely suspect. There are many areas of that, that can be tested....
"Trouble shooting 101, start at the beginning and work your way forward"
Test voltages at batt connection, switch, filters, etc.
Believe me when I say I understand determination when you want to fix a toy/tool... (Looks around at maxabeam guts, locator and Israeli SA parts laying around)..... yup, totally understand....
With a little patience, I'm sure you'll get them fired back up. Maybe you'll get lucky and all you had was a bad batch of bulbs! (Always hope for best!)
Good luck!

I don't think I'm having the same problem as OP, just thought this thread might attract the attention of someone who knew more than me. I tried connecting 5S and 6S LiPo, fully charged so they had plenty of power to fire it up, pushed the button, and the green light came on. No sounds, I think the igniter is bad, but I have no idea.

eyesonfire: What the heck is going on there? Is it still short-arc? Is that the ballast on the back?

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened

I don't think I'm having the same problem as OP, just thought this thread might attract the attention of someone who knew more than me. I tried connecting 5S and 6S LiPo, fully charged so they had plenty of power to fire it up, pushed the button, and the green light came on. No sounds, I think the igniter is bad, but I have no idea.

eyesonfire: What the heck is going on there? Is it still short-arc? Is that the ballast on the back?

Yes the ballast is mounted to the rear. After over an hour of continual use the ballast is just warm to the touch if that. The host is gutted completely.
It is a 70 watt Xenon setup. Truth be told I have two of these the first one had the same issue as many others do with the clicking but all that was required was a new battery.
This one on the other hand had gone through some serious wear and tear. I actually use this one quite often it has great throw and flood. It has a 4S 5000 ma lithium polymer battery with balance port and charging port mounted to the rear, which makes charging quite easy.
Also there is a blow by port just so as not to have a pressurized canister in the case of a mishap with the battery. Also there is a real-time battery level indicator which steps through each cells voltage. So to stay within limits of the lipo.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes the ballast is mounted to the rear. After over an hour of continual use the ballast is just warm to the touch if that. The host is gutted completely.
It is a 70 watt Xenon setup. Truth be told I have two of these the first one had the same issue as many others do with the clicking but all that was required was a new battery.
This one on the other hand had gone through some serious wear and tear. I actually use this one quite often it has great throw and flood. It has a 4C 5000 ma lithium polymer battery with balance port and charging port mounted to the rear, which makes charging quite easy.
Also there is a blow by port just so as not to have a pressurized canister in the case of a mishap with the battery. Also there is a real-time battery level indicator which steps through each cells voltage. So to stay within limits of the lipo.

I think what he was asking was if it's still a short arc xenon or a HID "xenon". Big difference, lol.

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened

70 watt Xenon setup..... Not SA

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

70 watt Xenon setup..... Not SA

That's what I figured but didn't want to speak up on your project, lol.
How's that working out in comparison to stock? I figure a lot more light but wider beam? It's a shame they can't figure out how to make HID full power at startup like SAs do. Sounds like a nice conversion.... maybe if my MB ever dies and I run outta spare parts, I'll convert it to HID, lol.
I am a fan of HID conversions, but usually from an incan host to HID or SA, not SA to HID.