Xeray Runtime Test

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on Lips, just did a runtime with one of my batteries I got from GhostReaction and got exactly 48 minutes. Looks like the light continues to get hotter (bottom metal plate) after tuning off but not near danger level. I have yet to test the other battery.

I´m going to drain this first battery down to 40% and store in the refrigerator. There is a huge difference in what it loses at room temperature 68F and at 32F at 40% charge.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Hey I have a question about this extra BB battery pack. I'm not sure if there are two separate sets of 6 batteries, but if I wanted to charge this pack with two sets of red & black wires how should I hook it up?

If I take DMM readings of any combination of black & red, I get 15.0V....so I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should charge one set of black & red wires, and then charge the other set? If this is all one pack, then why two sets of black/red wires?

battpack.jpg

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
Hey I have a question about this extra BB battery pack. I'm not sure if there are two separate sets of 6 batteries, but if I wanted to charge this pack with two sets of red & black wires how should I hook it up?

If I take DMM readings of any combination of black & red, I get 15.0V....so I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should charge one set of black & red wires, and then charge the other set? If this is all one pack, then why two sets of black/red wires?

The wires are tied together inside the pack. 2 wires Black and 2 wires red are for geater current carrying capacity also 2 pins for each - & + .

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
XeRay said:
The wires are tied together inside the pack. 2 wires Black and 2 wires red are for geater current carrying capacity also 2 pins for each - & + .

OK, thanks Dan....so it would work ok if I hooked up one of those Lithium Ion battery pack chargers to one set of red/black wires only?....oh crap....I just realized this one says only for 4 cells, which is the only Lithium pack charger I have....but then I also wonder now why FiveMega recommended using this for this latest light using 8 Lithiums (2 parallel sets of 4 in series) in this thread??? I guess my only other option is to open up the bottom of one of the XeRay lights and connect this pack.

Since the BB has that thermal paste which I don't want to break the contact seal, could I just plug this pack into my 50W model to charge it...or does it have a different "Charge Status" indicator setup that only works properly in the BB ?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
OK, thanks Dan....so it would work ok if I hooked up one of those Lithium Ion battery pack chargers to one set of red/black wires only?....oh crap....I just realized this one says only for 4 cells, which is the only Lithium pack charger I have....but then I also wonder now why FiveMega recommended using this for this latest light using 8 Lithiums (2 parallel sets of 4 in series) in this thread??? I guess my only other option is to open up the bottom of one of the XeRay lights and connect this pack.

Since the BB has that thermal paste which I don't want to break the contact seal, could I just plug this pack into my 50W model to charge it...or does it have a different "Charge Status" indicator setup that only works properly in the BB ?

New battery with extra connector will work in both older and newer style XeRay. Old style battery with no extra wires on small connector will not work properly in the newer lights with push button on/off.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone now the long term life expectency with bulbs when comparing 50watt to a 75watt barnburner. I would imagine the 75watt wouldn't last as long, I tried finding some specs on the 50watt bulb life expectancy in for example hours, but couldn't find any info.

:)

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any overdriven HID capsule will reduce its life expectancy, but, from 3,000 hours down to 1,000 ? or 1,500? that's a heck of a lot and insignificant. I have a spare DL-50 and seriously doubt it will see any use in decades, unless something haywire happens.

A few things that can be done to have lamps for longer life:

1) Don´t turn on more than 3 times an hour and allow adequate cooling.

2) Don´t rotate the light or incline more than 20 degrees of the horizontal plane.

3) Don´t use cheap ballasts other than those provided by XeVision.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LuxLuthor said:

Got back a thumbs up on using Alin's charger for these 12 packs, or for FiveMega's 8 cell pack (2-parallel sets of 4-S Li-Ions) so gives another option.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on Lips, just did a runtime with one of my batteries I got from GhostReaction and got exactly 48 minutes. Looks like the light continues to get hotter (bottom metal plate) after tuning off but not near danger level. I have yet to test the other battery.

I´m going to drain this first battery down to 40% and store in the refrigerator. There is a huge difference in what it loses at room temperature 68F and at 32F at 40% charge.

I decided to take the battery in my Barn B down to 40% and put it in the freezer. Put my spare that was sitting around for around 5-6 months at 100% and put it in the light for use. Turned the light on and it shut down in 3 seconds...

This happened to me once before on a 50w unit but I discounted it. I did a test after around 3 months on a pack and it held the charge fine... Maybe that protection circuit is draining the battery on that pack more... :thinking:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I decided to take the battery in my Barn B down to 40% and put it in the freezer. Put my spare that was sitting around for around 5-6 months at 100% and put it in the light for use. Turned the light on and it shut down in 3 seconds...

This happened to me once before on a 50w unit but I discounted it. I did a test after around 3 months on a pack and it held the charge fine... Maybe that protection circuit is draining the battery on that pack more... :thinking:
So you had a BB generation extra pack that you had never used, and put it in an original GB BB (or was it an upgraded 50W==>BB)? The backup pack lying dormant that had never been used very likely arrived from XeVision never charged.

I don't see any way that the plain battery pack just sitting outside a light would self discharge like the light charge monitoring circuit inside the light that drains Ver 1 (50W GB) battery packs in 5-7 weeks, or Ver 2 (BB-GB) in 4-7 mos (I forget exact amount of time).

Edit: I know you said this spare battery was at 100%, but it just doesn't make any sense. That would mean there was a partial internal short in the battery pack.

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
The packs have been used in the test thread here. They came with this BB unit (one battery was shipped at a later date I believe)

Most likely I only thought I charged it to 100% as the last time it was used, the pack was doing these test and was ran down to 0. My bad... :crazy: