XM-L Reflectors & Optics

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XM-L (cree) Optics and Reflectors Thread

Here is a shot with one of the McRs running at 3A

I didnt attach the reflector directly to the star with this, but the base of these is narrow so even with a small star like 14MM there is no issue with shorts or wires getting in the way.

I would use a ring around the LED to make sure the contacts on the top of the actual LED dont short on the reflector if your going to clamp it on the led.

For me these proved to be a better approach than using the MCE booms or plastic optics, plus with the metal there is no worry about melt downs.

This reflector IMO provides excellent balance. Very bright spill, with a large detectable hot spot, and a far reaching throw.

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XM-L (cree) Optics and Reflectors Thread

Thanks for that info Vestures. If you ever have a chance, please post a picture of how that reflector looks sitting on a board.

For convenience, I am adding some links to some XM-L builds from the custom and homebuilt section. These have the optics listed as well as some beam shots.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?307230-Surefire-XM-L-Tower-Module-DD&

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-Now-(1x18650-MCE-2.8A-McClicky-500-lumens)&

Last edited:

SlowPoke808

Newly Enlightened
Re: XM-L P60 Reflectors

Does anyone know any good cheap sources for XM-L P60 reflectors? I've only gotten XP-E reflectors with the empty drop-ins that I've purchased. I haven't found any sellers that specify anything beyond OP or SMO yet.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use the XR-E reflectors that come standard, as long as it's OP you should get a good quality beam. Thanks for doing the comparison likekevin, is there a slight donut in the solarforce XM-L or is that just me?

SlowPoke808

Newly Enlightened

I assembled my own XM-L drop-in and the beam was nice with the common XP-E OP reflector but the LED just didn't sit right against the reflector. Looking on the back of my Solarforce XM-L reflector, the opening seems a tiny bit larger, and a lot of material around the back of the reflector has been machined away so that it pushes against the emitter board only along the rim right next to the LED.

I don't really have the proper tools to modify these reflectors nicely. Any tricks or suggestions? Where have you all been getting your XM-L reflectors if not in complete drop-in modules? Thanks!

LilKevin715

Enlightened

is there a slight donut in the solarforce XM-L or is that just me?

If you stare at white-walls all day long then you might see a slight donut (on low). To me personally unless I'm looking for it I won't notice it in real world use. On high there is so much light you wouldn't notice a donut.

Where have you all been getting your XM-L reflectors if not in complete drop-in modules?

Besides buying a XM-L module, Jo @ solarforce-sales can help you out. Just email them and they can arrange to purchase reflectors only.

SlowPoke808

Newly Enlightened

Besides buying a XM-L module, Jo @ solarforce-sales can help you out. Just email them and they can arrange to purchase reflectors only.

Awesome! I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

SlowPoke808

Newly Enlightened

I assembled my own XM-L drop-in and the beam was nice with the common XP-E OP reflector but the LED just didn't sit right against the reflector. Looking on the back of my Solarforce XM-L reflector, the opening seems a tiny bit larger, and a lot of material around the back of the reflector has been machined away so that it pushes against the emitter board only along the rim right next to the LED.

Sorry, I meant XR-E reflector, not XP-E reflector. You guys that know these reflectors must have been wondering what the heck I was talking about...

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi DM51 - Thank you for merging these threads. It is a lot more efficient that way.

Lilkevin715 - Thanks for starting this thread on XM-L Reflectors. Nice beam shots and good info BTW. I somehow missed your thread when I was searching through originally.

Would you consider broadening the thread title to something like "XM-L reflectors and Optics" to make it inclusive of other size applications ?

Thanks and take care,

Harry

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Thanks LilKevin for these pictures and summary thoughts. This is really helpful as I think many people find the beam profile at least as important as tint or brightness.

This makes me want to test out the solarforce XM-L drop ins. I have the thrunite XM-L and it really impressed me for both brightness and beam profile. It throws plenty far for what I need but I would be interested in a longer range comparison of the thrunight vs. the Solarforce XM-L.

SlowPoke808

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Solarforce 3-mode XM-L drop-in with smooth reflector. I am a bit disappointed with the driver it came with because the high mode is not that bright and the PWM flicker (in medium and low) is really irritating. On high it only draws 1.6A at the tailcap. Did I get a defective driver? When I first dropped the module in, the beam looked terrible with plenty of ugly artifacts. After adjusting the focus by unscrewing the pill a bit I was able to get a nice smooth beam with only small imperfections.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried the Fraen optic with the XML. Arc flashlight had some LSH's made with the Fraen optic back in the days of Luxeon LEDs.

They gave a beam similar to the TIR used by Surefire, kind of like a big hotspot with minimal spill.

pmath

Newly Enlightened
I have just put together a couple of XMLs (t6 IIRC) using Fraen optics in my standard bike light set up. Centre weighting is still good and there is a fair amount of spill (which I want for seeing the side of the road etc). Just powered through my original FluPic boards the difference between these and Luxeon TV1Js is stunning. I have only used it for a couple of night rides, but like it. I will try to take some beam shots to share.

Peter

videoman

Enlightened
Thanks Vaska, as I always wanted to see how the triple 10 deg. beam is. Think with Khatod is that they are extremely hard to source anywhere. Seems that there are hardly any distribution channels that can supply specific models. I have had no luck in finding their optics or reflectors online, and those that carry them ( very few) only have minimal amounts of few models in stock. Wish DigiKey would carry the line.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just put together a couple of XMLs (t6 IIRC) using Fraen optics in my standard bike light set up. Centre weighting is still good and there is a fair amount of spill (which I want for seeing the side of the road etc). Just powered through my original FluPic boards the difference between these and Luxeon TV1Js is stunning. I have only used it for a couple of night rides, but like it. I will try to take some beam shots to share.

Peter

Hey thanks for the info! I was hoping for the beam to be similar to the Luxeon where there was minimal spill and mostly throw.
Is the spill from your set up pretty wide or does it have a narrower spill/beam?
Would love to see some beamshots if you have the time.

bystrup

Newly Enlightened
...Think with Khatod is that they are extremely hard to source anywhere. Seems that there are hardly any distribution channels that can supply specific models.

Actually I have ordered directly from Khatod in the past, with no problems (even for small quantities). It may help that I am in Denmark, somewhat closer to Italy than the US, but you may still give it a try...

(They have an "E-commerce" link on their website (www.optomarket.com) which is currently "under construction", but you may try to write the email-address mentioned on that page)

/Anders/