XM-L Reflectors & Optics

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Which Reflector for good Spot Beam for Motorcycle Lighting?

I've been reading as much as I can, but I am still quite confused about the available XM-L optics. What ones are available that I can get shipped to the USA (California (west coast)) that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I am trying to build a motorcycle light, but I need some good throw. I am still new to this whole LED thing, I've been lurking here on and off for quite a few years now, but there is so damn much to learn! I want a light that will throw out to 150meters or so with decent light there.

I will most likely be running 6-8 total XM-L's I want good spot and flood. I was thinking of 4 spot and 2 flood, because I don't have a terrible lot of extra power available. What optics/reflector under 40mm, preferable under 35 will give me the best throw? Also what would I want to run for the flood ones? I guess there would still be a lot of spill from the spot ones since the XML isn't really "Spotty" right? Would it be best to run all the same optics/reflectors then? Or is the XM-L just not capable of giving me the lighting I want, maybe I should go for the xp-g? I really don't know, but I would like to figure some of these things out so I can start ordering parts, and start making my housing.

Would something like THIS be that much better at spot/throw then a smaller reflector like the LLC17N? I still don't completely understand the whole size:light ratio, like if bigger ones put more total light down range? Or if it's better to run smaller optics and run more LED's?

Thanks for any possible answers :) I know I have a lot of questions, but I honestly can't find a whole lot of good info on the XM-L and the different reflectors/optics to give it throw.

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Which Reflector for good Spot Beam for Motorcycle Lighting?

01xr650r, you'll probably need to ask that in the Automotive section, as there are strict regulations concerning which lights and beam types are permissible. I doubt you will find it easy to built a light that complies.

I can move your post there for you, but perhaps it can stay here for a little while before I do that, to see what other members in this section have to say.

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! But this is an off-road motorcycle light, so no worries about dot compliant or anything. It won't be used on the street any. I just need to know which of these reflectors is going to give me the best throw. I have a post in the bicycle section because I was told I might get more hits there than the automotive because they are all building lights like what I want, and have similar needs except for the throw. So maybe you could leave this one here so I can see if I can get some other people's opinions?

Thanks DM51

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Wow nice reflector! I've got a few questions though. How far is the barn/building in the picture? What amperage are you running the xm-l at?
Thanks, still trying to decide on optics/reflector choice for my light, maybe I'll have to buy a few and start testing. I know pictures never quite do justice too, was the building lit up better than the picture shows? Or is that a pretty good representation?

Thanks

trout

Enlightened
The building was a paced out 160 strides of approx 1 metre long

the XML was at three amps. drive

The building was lit far better to my eyes than the cameras
the beam was like an aspheric on steroids
pretty awesome. down side is the sheer size of the reflector

it would make a great search and rescue light

down side for me is I cannot fit a piece of aluminium this size in my lathe so going to struggle
to make a lit from it

bystrup

Newly Enlightened
Last edited: