XT11 Beamshots (18650 vs, RCR123's)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, its not apples and apples...heck, My SR90 has more throw, and more spill at the same time...but has a shoulder strap rather than fitting in a pocket. :D

If comparing 5-6" long lights, with pocketable heads, great UI...etc, the XT11 is in its element.

:D

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job on the photos Adrenaline_6. I have the Klarus XT11 and the Zebralight SC600. The SC600 is very floody and a creamy look to the output. I used only 1 x 18650 in my Klarus XT11 and it worked pretty well I thought. Then one day I put two AW 123 primaries in there and the output amazed me. I have not tried rechargeable RCR123s yet, but the photos are a pretty good representation of what the difference is using 123s. Good job Klarus. :thumbsup:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus service (China) has replied to my email query if the XT11 can use 2x18350 cells. Below is their reply:

Helloi am sorry , 2*18350 also can be safely uesed in the XT11,it will fit in the cell compartment
best regards

Now the question is: Which is better and safer.. the 2x RCR123a (ICR) or the 2x18350 IMR. Both at about 750mAh.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Good job on the photos Adrenaline_6. I have the Klarus XT11 and the Zebralight SC600. The SC600 is very floody and a creamy look to the output. I used only 1 x 18650 in my Klarus XT11 and it worked pretty well I thought. Then one day I put two AW 123 primaries in there and the output amazed me. I have not tried rechargeable RCR123s yet, but the photos are a pretty good representation of what the difference is using 123s. Good job Klarus. :thumbsup:

Thanks Oztorchfreak. I was pretty amazed myself and very happy with my choice on getting the XT11.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Klarus service (China) has replied to my email query if the XT11 can use 2x18350 cells. Below is their reply:

Helloi am sorry , 2*18350 also can be safely uesed in the XT11,it will fit in the cell compartment
best regards

Now the question is: Which is better and safer.. the 2x RCR123a (ICR) or the 2x18350 IMR. Both at about 750mAh.

Which type of cell can handle the discharge rate safer? I think on the RCR123's, it is right at their limit with a quality cell. I am not sure about the 18350's.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

best regards

What about 2 x primary 3V 123s vs 2 x 3.7V RCR123s vs 1 x 3.7V 18650 vs IMR cells.

Which of these would be the best all round battery choice and other considerations?

We have seen the differences between 1 x 3.7V 18650 vs 2 x 3.7V RCR123s.

The RCR123s are rated between 3.2V and 3.7V usually and primary 123s are only 3V normally.

This Klarus XT11 is rated to a maximum working voltage of 8.4V.

So even 2 x 3.7V RCR123s straight off the charger at around 4.2V each is not going above the maximum working voltage of this flashlight.

I have noticed the big difference already by using 2 x 3V 123 primary batteries.

So I would expect to see more brightness with 2 x 3.7V RCR123s than using just 2 x 3V 123 primaries as shown in the beamshots in this thread.

It would mean some different voltages can be used in this flashlight with different outcomes.

1 x 18650 = 3.7V or 4.2V hot off the charger.

2 x CR123s = 6V.

2 x RCR123s = 7.4V or 8.4V hot off the charger.

I would have thought this light would regulate itself to a maximum limit of lumens no matter what the input voltage was.

It does not seem be that way to me.

Also there is of course the runtime you can get from these formats and do so reliably.

So there is runtime vs output to consider in this situation.

I will test that out for myself as soon as I get hold of two 3.7V RCR123s and also some IMRs.

Then there is the regulation of what it cuts the lumen output to when running at 7.4V or 8.4V.

Will the operating temperature stay at a safe level when using 7.4V or even 8.4?

I assume that the pictures in the beamshots were taken before the 3 minute kick down regulation cut in and therefore at maximum brightness.

Can CPF user Adrenaline 6 tell us whether all the pictures were taken before the 3 minute kick down regulation started? :sssh:

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Initial email from Klarus service (China):

Hello,
2*16340 and 2*18650 both can be safely used in the XT11, the 2*16340 is bot recommended because it will cause excessive voltage release,i hope i have solved your question, if any others,pls contact me
best regards

Note: this is the first reply from Klarus of which they mistakenly stated 2*18650 instead of my question of the shorter 2x18350, after which they apologized, as seen in my earlier post.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Can CPF user Adrenaline 6 tell us whether all the pictures were taken before the 3 minute kick down regulation started? :sssh:

Yes, I did not wait for the 3 minute kickdown. This amount of light needed for 3 straight minutes wouldn't be needed all that much for me, so I didn't think to wait. Sorry.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Wow! I didn't know there would be that much of an output difference on 2xRCR123's?

Adrenaline 6...any idea how long the run time is using 2xRCR123?

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I didn't know there would be that much of an output difference on 2xRCR123's?

Adrenaline 6...any idea how long the run time is using 2xRCR123?

Not very long, as seen on the charts on the very thorough review of the XT11 by selfbuilt http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO .

If you top off your batteries every day and don't need tha much run time, or carry spares then I guess you can live with the trade off, but a quality 18650 is plenty good for most needs I would think.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I did not wait for the 3 minute kickdown. This amount of light needed for 3 straight minutes wouldn't be needed all that much for me, so I didn't think to wait. Sorry.

I take it then you took the photo in the first minute or so after you turned the light on before the 3 minute kickdown had cut in.

spc smith

Enlightened
So my question is this,Am I going to see a noticeable difference with 1x18650 battery compared to my retired and sold olight m20x? I want to be reassured of this since I sold it to get my final light. Klarus xt11. I really want to know which of.these two lights that actually throw further. Thanks for the beamshots adrenaline 6! I still haven't gotten my xt11:(.. damn usps !

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, for the first 3 minutes they will be equally bright, ab=fter that M20X will be brighter. Olight always throws better than XT11 on 1x18650.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not sure the M20X is actually brighter but due to reflector shape and size it will throw further. The klarus my be driven harder so will output more light. What emitter did the m20X have??

spc smith

Enlightened
Madecov, phantom23,

I am greatly confused of this and will probably have to self determine this on my own. I called goinggear and had them do a comparison over the phone of Olight M21X and Klarus XT11. They told me that over the phone, the Klarus XT11 clearly threw further in his store both lights being on 18650 batteries. I know for a fact after much research Madecov has the Olight M21X, (not Olight M20X) but that the M21X throws futher than the M20X, yet these these two pieces contradict each other.

The Olight M21X rated at 240 meters per Olight
The Olight M20X rated at 200 meters per Olight

I like the flood factor of the Klarus XT11.. but does it throw as far as the M20X, M21X.. SOMEBODY PLEASE POST BACK 2 BACK BEAMSHOTS!!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Madecov, phantom23,

I am greatly confused of this and will probably have to self determine this on my own. I called goinggear and had them do a comparison over the phone of Olight M21X and Klarus XT11. They told me that over the phone, the Klarus XT11 clearly threw further in his store both lights being on 18650 batteries. I know for a fact after much research Madecov has the Olight M21X, (not Olight M20X) but that the M21X throws futher than the M20X, yet these these two pieces contradict each other.

The Olight M21X rated at 240 meters per Olight
The Olight M20X rated at 200 meters per Olight

I like the flood factor of the Klarus XT11.. but does it throw as far as the M20X, M21X.. SOMEBODY PLEASE POST BACK 2 BACK BEAMSHOTS!!

I have not done any beam shots of lights yet, though I do have some nice photo gear. I think the XT-11 will be a more useful light for you. The ability to change modes without twisting a head is going to be a huge plus for you. It really is a great light and outputs a lot of light in a small package. I think as far as throw it's going to be pretty close since it puts out so much light. I just compared my M21X to the Klarus on a white wall at about 6 feet. The Klarus has just a slightly tighter hot spot and is very much whiter. It is also just a bit brighter on an 18650. Overall I think your going to be impressed and pleased.

Stay safe over there.