XTAR - CES 2014 - VP2 charger

cyclesport

Enlightened
IG doesn't seem to be the only US Distributor that I've Googled. I see one in California and two in Florida, who claim to be Distributors for Xtar products here in the US.

Why did my dealer have VP2s in stock before any of the three so-called distributors? Because none of them had them in stock and I was checking since CES/mid-January. Heck, none of the so-called distributors even mentioned the VP2 on their websites. In fact, my dealer and an Ebay seller, 18650Flashlight (or something like that) were the only two entities that I could find selling the VP2, to the point that I thought that I had bought a fake.

Kind of odd, don't you think? In fact, IG shows a back order on their website, so it's possible that no new and improved VP2s are presently in country?

My security number never did register on the Xtar main site, but I was told that with CES wrapping up, Xtar might just be behind in inputting that data into their security check system.

Chris
There may be more than one distributer, or it may be a matter of semantics and dealers call themselves distributers in this business, and there could have been any number of reasons why some distributers/dealers had stock in January on the VP2 before some others. I do know that Tod @ IG is a US distributer since he's personally corrected me when I mistakenly referred to IG as a dealer, lol. FWIW no one has stock on the VP2s (unless they're 1st gen units that have been pulled for defects) right now from what I can see and I imagine all are awaiting for the upgraded VP2's to be shipped around mid-March for replacement to existing owners awaiting gen 2 units and for shelf stock.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
There may be more than one distributer, or it may be a matter of semantics and dealers call themselves distributers in this business, and there could have been any number of reasons why some distributers/dealers had stock in January on the VP2 before some others. I do know that Tod @ IG is a US distributer since he's personally corrected me when I mistakenly referred to IG as a dealer, lol. FWIW no one has stock on the VP2s (unless they're 1st gen units that have been pulled for defects) right now from what I can see and I imagine all are awaiting for the upgraded VP2's to be shipped around mid-March for replacement to existing owners awaiting gen 2 units and for shelf stock.

Not trying to rag on you, but the whole thing is a bit funny to me. It's not like my guy is a huge dealer, from what I can tell and I bought my ZL SC-600 almost two years ago from IG, so I know about them and they've been around at least that long.

I know that there's the guy in Canada who got the VP2 with the broken screw posts and missing screw, I know that I got one and I think another person has one who posted in this thread, but that's it.

I don't know how many were sold in this initial wave, just that I needed to get mine back to Seattle and then they'd ship back the entire lot lot today, to HK/China and await the new batch. As I said, I was welcomed to keep my unit if I was happy with it.

My old KitchenAid coffee maker came with a warning to STOP USING THE MACHINE under risk of fire, so that was a bit more ominous.

Chris

cyclesport

Enlightened
Not trying to rag on you...

No offense taken. I don't want to get bogged down in the details of who calls themselves distributers or who presently has stock either. My point was merely that some US resellers of XTAR VP2 chargers seemingly are taking their own course of action in the replacement of the defective units, allowing some to keep their 1st gen VP2s which may or may not have exhibited problems (mine is still working perfectly and I plan to keep on using it till it doesn't...even after the new one arrives) and yet other resellers are insisting upon sending the VP2's back before a replacement is sent? Seems unfair for those who have to send theirs back? Just seems funny the replacement rules aren't the same across the board for US customers already owning the 1st gen VP2s? Not sure how this issue will be handled in Europe.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense taken. I don't want to get bogged down in the details of who calls themselves distributers or who presently has stock either. My point was merely that some US resellers of XTAR VP2 chargers seemingly are taking their own course of action in the replacement of the defective units, allowing some to keep their 1st gen VP2s which may or may not have exhibited problems (mine is still working perfectly and I plan to keep on using it till it doesn't...even after the new one arrives) and yet other resellers are insisting upon sending the VP2's back before a replacement is sent? Seems unfair for those who have to send theirs back? Just seems funny the replacement rules aren't the same across the board for US customers already owning the 1st gen VP2s? Not sure how this issue will be handled in Europe.

You don't state your location, but let me get this straight.

You bought an early run VP2. You received a recall notice. You're allowed to keep your early run VP2 charger without sending it back, prior to being sent an updated VP2 charger. You're going to be sent a second VP2, that has been updated. Upon receiving this updated VP2 charger, you're not required to send the first one back, essentially getting an updated VP2 for free? You will have two VP2 chargers that work, for the price of one?

If that's the case, than yeah, compared to your situation, I'm getting screwed.

Chris

cyclesport

Enlightened
You don't state your location, but let me get this straight.

You bought an early run VP2. You received a recall notice. You're allowed to keep your early run VP2 charger without sending it back, prior to being sent an updated VP2 charger. You're going to be sent a second VP2, that has been updated. Upon receiving this updated VP2 charger, you're not required to send the first one back, essentially getting an updated VP2 for free? You will have two VP2 chargers that work, for the price of one?

If that's the case, than yeah, compared to your situation, I'm getting screwed.

Chris

That's exactly right, except I contacted Tod when I first became aware of the VP2 breakage issue and he informed me he was on it. Since it's essentially a boilerplate type email, here's an excerpt of the email sent to me and presumably other VP2 owners from Tod at IG......"In regards to your recent XTAR VP2 Purchase - this is to inform you that ALL XTAR VP2 Model Chargers have been factory recalled due to durability concerns with the plastic housing.
The plastic housing becomes brittle once it has been exposed to cold temperatures (like the cold temps found on the cargo aircraft used to transport the chargers from factory, to dealer, to you). Thus top half of the charger housing can separate from the bottom half due to the internal plastic connections breaking/snapping off. If this should happen please discontinue use of charger immediately.

Rather than returning the XTAR VP2 charger back to us for replacement with the new updated model - XTAR will send the replacement New Model VP2 Charger directly to you - once manufacturing has completed the update.

In order to receive the XTAR New Model VP2 Charger - we will need you to reply back to us and provide the serial number from the Warranty Card that was included inside the charger box.

Once the XTAR New Model VP2 charger is available (estimated to be early-mid March 2014), XTAR will ship a New Model VP2 directly to you from the factory.

You may continue to use your current VP2 Charger as long as the housing remains intact - upon receiving the New Model VP2 charger it would be best to dispose of/recycle the old VP2 charger as it will no longer be covered by Warranty, and, is expected to become more brittle over time".

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Hi guys ok I bought a XTAR VP1 recently here in Australia but what is the actual difference between the VP1 and VP2, I just hope that the VP1 will serve my needs. I knoknow the VP1 hasnt got the USB port but no big deal to me.

Thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys ok I bought a XTAR VP1 recently here in Australia but what is the actual difference between the VP1 and VP2, I just hope that the VP1 will serve my needs. I knoknow the VP1 hasnt got the USB port but no big deal to me.

Thanks

The Xtar VP2 charges LiFePO4 3.2v cells, in addition to the 3.6v (4.20v) Li-Co and Li-Mn chemistries. It also charges 3.8v cells, which are the 4.35v Li-Co cells that we see from LG and Samsung.

It has the same 250mA, 500mA and 1A charging rates as the VP1, the same sort of bar graph/digital voltage meter and USB OUTPUT.

If you're not wanting to get into LiFePO4 3.2v cells, nor the 3.8v (4.35v) Li-Co cells, you're fine with the VP1.

Chris

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks

http://www.xtarlight.com/ Go to products and then to charger series. From there you can navigate to both the VP1 and VP2.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Anu up date news on the VP2 Charger?

I recv'd info this week from IG that the factory hopes to begin shipping out the new-version replacements by the end of next week, 3/21. Not sure if the same info applies for other supplier's customers in the US and elsewhere?

Lun@ticFringe

Newly Enlightened
Illumination Gear, the retailer where most (at least in the U.S.) purchased the VP2's that are being recalled .

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
I've got the XTAR VP1 but heard they had to rexall the VP2 because they were having problems with the casing or something like that. So for those who bought a VP2 I wonder if they got a new replacement.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Re: XTAR - CES 2014

And now Ladies and Gentlemen, ....a roll of drum, please...

Here is a VP2 sneak preview picture, specs included, to whet your appetite...

Notice the two new little red LED's ? :thumbsup:
Release expected around end-January 2014

15czf2a.png

More to come soon...

Cheers,

__philippe

Btw. What is the purpose of those two small red LEDs

cyclesport

Enlightened
I've got the XTAR VP1 but heard they had to rexall the VP2 because they were having problems with the casing or something like that. So for those who bought a VP2 I wonder if they got a new replacement.

Most US customers VP2 replacements are due approx. late March...early April.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
I was eventually thinking of selling my VP1 and getting the VP2 but is it really worth the upgrade and really is there much of a difference, although I will admit I do like the idea of the 2 LED indicators on the VP2. Also isn't the LCD screen on the VP1 slightly bigger. I will have to wait and see for when the VP2 will hit our shores here in Australia and than probably decide.

__philippe

Enlightened
... Also isn't the LCD screen on the VP1 slightly bigger. I will have to wait and see for when the VP2 will hit our shores here in Australia and than probably decide.

The VP1 LCD screen illustrations appear bigger only because the VP1's overall width is smaller than the VP2's.

VP1 overall width 62mm
VP2 overall width 68mm

The LCD screens dimensions are exactly the same for both units.

__philippe