XTAR VP1 Two Bay LCD Charger

Verndog

Enlightened
I googled, but came up pretty light. Can someone recommend a good place to get it? I found lots on ebay, but that's basically it. I'm still a newb, and given all the caveats on batteries, I'd rather avoid ebay until I'm more experienced!

-Pie

One of the market place vendors is SBFlashlights.com and that is where I ordered mine.

Verndog

Enlightened
Received the new charger today and ran a couple quick charges and this is a nice charger! Both were EagleTac 3100 (Panasonic) cells and both terminated about when I'd expect sitting at 4.2V (comparing to cc/cv hobby charger). The display is very well centered and looking at it straight there is no border visible. It's early yet but first impression is this is a keeper. Great job Xtar!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice. this is way better than my $15usd fenix are-c1 by far, far!.
thanks.

Received the new charger today and ran a couple quick charges and this is a nice charger! Both were EagleTac 3100 (Panasonic) cells and both terminated about when I'd expect sitting at 4.2V (comparing to cc/cv hobby charger). The display is very well centered and looking at it straight there is no border visible. It's early yet but first impression is this is a keeper. Great job Xtar!

Verndog

Enlightened

Up All Night

Enlightened
Google what exactly?

As I have no idea how much you know, try "battery chemistries" and "IMR, use and handling". Many hits on those two searches.

batteryuniversitydotcom is a good site if you're starting from scratch.
I'm not an expert by any stretch, I just know enough to keep things safe and efficient.

Happy hunting!!:thumbsup:

the badger

Enlightened
As I have no idea how much you know

Not much about this stuff. Other things though...well that's another story.

I'm trying to get set up for a Mac's Tri-EDC, with batteries and charger. It will be my first rechargeable light so I want to do it right.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I initially bought and used it alongside with another 2 bay Xstar charger that didn't have the display. I have since retired the non display model and gotten myself another VP1.
The display worked really well for me especially charging paired batteries. It enables me to see the starting voltage of both the batteries to ensure that they are not faulty and a final resting voltage display allows be to be sure I am ok to use them as a pair. Previously I had to use the DMM to check them before and after charging.

Plus the push button switching of charging current is really handy for the smaller batteries. All the other ones I had before had a slide switch which is usually located at an inconvenient location at the side or the back.
Great product.

Last edited:

Theron

Newly Enlightened
You could look for a review, in my review I have some tables with the most common battery sizes and chemistries.
And yes, it can be used for IMR 18350.

I have read that charging these at 1 amp rather than .5 amps is fine because they accept higher charge and discharge currents. Is that your opinion as well?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have read that charging these at 1 amp rather than .5 amps is fine because they accept higher charge and discharge currents. Is that your opinion as well?

Yes, an also the battery manufacturers opinion (When you find specification for IMR cells they list higher charge rate).
But it is usual the max charge rate that is listed, not the recommended charge rate.

Remember:
Recommended charge rate: The battery can last the specified lifetime (Charge rate is not the only parameter affecting lifetime).
Max. charge rate: The battery is safe to charge at this rate, but the lifetime will be reduced.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
how much life would be lost between the two; 0.5, and 1A?.
..in respect of 2600mAh's?.
keeppowers.
im not so worried about its life, just to get the best from it really, so will charge at 1A if that's the best for it.

thanks.

Yes, an also the battery manufacturers opinion (When you find specification for IMR cells they list higher charge rate).
But it is usual the max charge rate that is listed, not the recommended charge rate.

Remember:
Recommended charge rate: The battery can last the specified lifetime (Charge rate is not the only parameter affecting lifetime).
Max. charge rate: The battery is safe to charge at this rate, but the lifetime will be reduced.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, Im in no real rush to charge my 2600's, so would it be better on 0.5 or best on 1A regardless?.
im looking for the best brightness performance, making the battery work hard.
thanks HKJ!...

I cannot answer that, but I will not expect it is very much.
The serious problem is when the charging current is heating the battery.

HKJ

Flashaholic
thanks, Im in no real rush to charge my 2600's, so would it be better on 0.5 or best on 1A regardless?.
im looking for the best brightness performance, making the battery work hard.
thanks HKJ!...

Let me put it this way: Charging at 0.5A will never do a worse job than 1A charging.