Z-Power P7 Series - World’s Highest Brightness of 900 lm at 10-watt

Gryloc

Enlightened
Yeah, I did not realize how bright modern flashes are. So a million lumens from a normal hotshoe flash? Are one of those expensive? I am not a big photographer, and I really do not own a nice SLR camera. I did not realize how bright flashes really were. Oh well, that was just a side thought.

Well, a tri Seoul P7 has to be better than really small flashes, like those seen on compact digital cameras and some of the fancy xenon flash camera phones, right? The flash on my digital camera is pretty lousy. I seen that study by Lumileds where a 4 TFFC LED flash (which could probably produce 700 lumens at the current that they sent to those LEDs) was much brighter, or comparable to the xenon flashes on camera phones, and of course they were compact due to the lack of big electrolytic capacitors. I guess three Seoul P7s are not the mose compact, but 12 Rebels or 12 of those TFFC die flash LEDs from Lumileds (which may have been Rebels since I cannot find them for sale) would be pretty compact and bright.

As Opto-King brought up, maybe the lux on your target may be important. When taking a shot with a small zoom lens, maybe a P7 with a stocky reflector or optic would be helpful.

Sure, Seoul P7s may not be that useful in the camera world, but use in forward automotive lighting would be possible! Three Seoul P7s behind deep, specialized reflectors and lenses would produce the sheer output suitable to replace the typical and slightly higher wattage halogen headlights. From my research, 1000lm is typical for the average low beams, and 1500lm is typical for average high beams (given your normal 55W headlight bulbs and also lux depends on quality of reflector). HID is closer to 3000lm, so designing LED headlights closer to range may be better. With specialized reflectors, or well designed projector optics, three or four warmer or neutral white Seoul P7s could be a viable replacement! When I say "specially designed" reflectors and optics, I mean those that produce the desired flatter beam with horizontal cutoff, and varying beam patterns depending on low/high mode (so I can get those issues out of the way). Chew on that some...

Finally, if automotive lighting is still not suitable, then there is still interior lighting hopes for a four-die LED once the module or the entire fixture is designed for use with LED (and not just for the hot, old incandescent bulbs). I am just trying to stress that there is hope for Seoul P7 in every day use besides our flashlights...

-Tony

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
_CELLPHONE CAMERAS_ with flashes with powers of up to 1 million lumens are available.
For a serious professional flash, i would expect 10-50 million.
And yeah, they are fast. Down to below 100us.

I have seen that study by lumiled, too. But i disagree with their conclusion (that of course is biased):Leds dont make good flashes just becaues they lack the stroboscopic properties of the xenons: what use is a flash if you can only use it when nothing moves?

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's plenty of cell phones with Xenon flashes that aren't huge. The Nokia N82 and the SE K790 come to mind. Those cameras are great, you don't need huge electrolytic caps you can use those new polymer caps which are way more robust and more compact. Most new motherboards are using those now because they can stand high temps better.

Mash

Enlightened
Re: Z-Power P7 Series - World's Highest Brightness of 900 lm at 10-watt

Will be interesting trying to drive these in a fixed lighting application. Most drivers (both AC and DC versions) are set up for 350 or 700mA or max ~1.0A outputs. It seems xitaniums or some other higher powered commercial drivers which are meant to power several parrallel legs, are the way to go with these.
Any other ideas?

Last edited:

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
To put five in a pentaburner I assume...

I think the 3" reflectors I have will work quite nicely with the P7. That's what I'll try first.

Two of the P7 in a flashlight would be interesting, but that will depend on the availability of suitable optics/reflectors to come forth.

Wayne

Last edited:

nwbrewer

Newly Enlightened
I think the 3" reflectors I have will work quite nicely with the P7. That's what I'll try first.

Two of the P7 in a flashlight would be interesting, but that will depend on the availability of suitable optics/reflectors to come forth.

Wayne

Wayne are you going to be making heatsinks for the p7? I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade my divelight with one of these, but I have no machining ability, so I'll need to purchase a heatsink from somewhere.

What are you guys using to drive this thing then? The DX specs say 12watt, 4.7 volts 2.8A. Would running this off of a 4 Ni-mh batteries work? Anybody found a driver that will work for this thing? I'm excited by this, but my electrical skills are somewhat rudimentary.

Jake

Prototype

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I 'm new to the site, and was hoping someone would be able to help me get my head around how semiconductors interact with supply voltage. I have purchased some cree xre and ssc P7 LED's to make a prototype spotlight for testing. I have decided to power them in pairs (2 crees together and 2 P7's) in two separate circuits in series with a 7.4v Li-ion battery and use one 3w 0.5ohm resistor in series.
Using the standard ohms law calculations, I can work out the following for the P7 :
Vs = 7.4, Vf = 6.64 (3.32v each LED), Resistor = 0.5ohm.
Therefore current through LED = 7.4 - 6.64 / 0.5 x 1000 = 1520mA. Power used in resistor = 1.16w, all sounds rather nice and hunky-dory.
Now, my puzzle is what happens to the LED forward voltage (Vf) and current draw when the input voltage (Vs) changes? The 7.4v nominated for a Li-ion battery is the nominal voltage, it will typically start out at 8.4v and slowly discharge to about 5v.
Using the same LED data with increased Vs the following will happen:
8.4-6.64 / 0.5 x 1000 = 3520mA, power used in resistor is 6.2w and its cooked. Now I know that the LED will not draw a current of 3520mA at a Vf of 3.32v, from manufacturers specs it is more like 1500mA.
Does the forward voltage (Vf) increase to keep the through current roughly the same or does the Vf and the through current increase? As the increase in Vf is not linear with the increase in through current in an LED, I was hoping for an explanation of how you can calculate how Vf, Vs and current interact?

TheCowboy

Newly Enlightened
Hello Guys,
First of all, the P7 is not the brightest LED bulb, although Surefire would have you believe it.
Our ZP20 20watt is perhaps the most powerful LED produced today.
We do sell it to companies other than Surefire, so interested parties may contact us..
We also sell the ZP10 10watt led comperable to the p7 10 watt.
We prefer not to export these outside of the US in small quantities, but
People interested in purchasing the light may contact me directly at my personal email. We will sell in quantities as low as 10.
I will send pictures, pricing, etc... These are not toys, so Please, only serious purchasers ready to buy need contact me as we have lotsof business as is.
The Cowboy

TheCowboy

Newly Enlightened
my contact email for the ZP10 and ZP20 is [email protected] I prefer this email as I will not give out our website email except to real buyers of our led products.
PS, we sell in quantities from 10 to 50,000.
Free shipping is standard
The CowBoy

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
my contact email for the ZP10 and ZP20 is [email protected] I prefer this email as I will not give out our website email except to real buyers of our led products.
The CowBoy

A short search effort using the big search engines yield nothing when I look for ZP10 & ZP20, nothing apparently led oriented anyway. So, do you sell a secret or 'confidential' revolutionary new product? Your posts on this forum up to date are all promoting your product. You need to substantiate your claims with facts.

Stefan

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, please keep in mind that the LED forum is not the forum for the buying and selling of items, so this thread shouldn't turn into a sales thread. Feel free to continue discussion(s) of the product(s), however.

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
The CowBoy

I've got to agree with StefanFS. It looks like every one of your post so far are the same 2 posts you have made in this thread just copy and pasted into other threads.

Then you use a free and untraceable email account. Not an account linked with a company that is producing these wonderful new emitters. Whatever company that is.

You offer no proof or evidence of anything. When the P7 hit it was the talk of the science community. If your company has something that is more efficient you would have front page news, not some black market item. This could not be a more obvious scam. I just hope that some of the more trusting (gullible) people on this board don't fall for it.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne are you going to be making heatsinks for the p7? I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade my divelight with one of these, but I have no machining ability, so I'll need to purchase a heatsink from somewhere.

What are you guys using to drive this thing then? The DX specs say 12watt, 4.7 volts 2.8A. Would running this off of a 4 Ni-mh batteries work? Anybody found a driver that will work for this thing? I'm excited by this, but my electrical skills are somewhat rudimentary.

Jake

Jake,

I suppose I can make some heat sinks? But for what? A Mag? I have not seen what the beam is with the Mag reflector. I'm sure it works, but probably a huge amount of the light goes to sidespill. That might be okay. A hotlips type sink, 'Hotzip', would be what is needed.

You do not have to run it full blown at 2.8A. That is the max. Just like we see a speed limit sign which says '65'. You don't have to go 65 you know, we just think that is the speed we need to go. This LED will be plenty bright at lessor power levels. Three NIMH cells, at 3.6V, or a Li-Ion, the 18650 or the new D Li-Ion will work, with no regulation, direct drive. This will not be at the full potential, but it will be very good, and run cooler too.

I have the PWM switch that will work with this LED if it is driven at 2A or less.

I'm waiting for the ones I ordered, to see how well they work with the big 3" reflectors I have. The die on the P7 is huge, so, the bigger the reflector, the better.

Wayne