Zebralight Color Preference?

• Light green

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Dark green

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened
I like the older ZL anodizing look better, lets call it a light olive drab color, and new ZL anodizing is a dark olive drab color. Although I am glad ZL is using US companies to do the anodizing now, so that is a plus. But the older anodizing was pretty unique looking. New anodizing is quite a bit darker and much more shiny and slick feeling.

SC51c - SC62d - SC600w
6PqFvzb.png

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. I am about to send out my SC600 to a shop in the LA area that does Mil Spec Aerospace custom metal finishing. First I am going to have them micro-polish, then plate with a hard teflon black matte finish. Anodizing is just one of hundreds of metal coating techniques, and I am surprised that so many are "stuck" on it. Two choices? There are hundreds...

Sure, but I can't imagine that is cheap. Do you have an estimate for the total cost for the whole process?

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Teflon matte black would look amazing. I googled around for it a bit (only found gun-examples) and the closest thing it resembles would be the thick, grippy anodizing that Armytek uses. Armytek does great work on their flashlights, and they feel like the most premium, but I'd really like to see the ******* child of an Armytek viking or predator pro with a Zebralight SC62 or SC600.

The anodizing, build quality, potted drivers, springs and glass of the Armytek with the size, UI and output of a Zebralight. That'd be a dream light and I'm sure many of us would gladly pay twice the price of what the individual lights now costs for a light like that.
Of course, the Predator Pro is no slouch for efficiency and customization, but I'd really prefer a less tactical approach as the zebralight side clickies have.

Erik1213

Enlightened
When it comes to a manufacturer that is not at all close in their anodization colors, Zebralight seems to top the list.

Here's my herd:
tVrWZ9hl.jpg

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Not to go off topic, but i have a question. The ano on my Sc52w, although been dropped a number of times and have some small scars to prove it, seems very durable. I mean, I have tons of Fenix lights, and every one has some black chipping off after the first day of owning, even if they are babied, in a case, etc. My ZL 52w(darker green) really took some hard drops onto concrete(my fenix's never even needed a drop to show chips), and the damage is really only kind of a "denting" of the anodizing finish. Have it in my pocket with keys, other crap, and never shows scratches from that. Only from the few drops it has endured. Like I said, I do notice that ALL my fenix lights seem to scratch the black ano(paint?) off within minutes, and Im serious, that is without any drops!
YMMV, but I have been bothered by this for a couple years now(and yes, even my few weeks old New Fenix lights), and the only fix for this since it bothers me is going and touching up the white spots with a black sharpie, seems unnoticeable really.
The ZL Sc52w just amazes me with the finish, MUCH thicker and durable than most lights. I hate to even say it, but I have some SureFire P2x lights that just look horrible due to all the white scratches in the black finish. But maybe I am crazy. I can post pics to show if you want.
The ZL just needs a real hard drop to concrete in order to see any damage at all. I love it.

So, am I alone in these observations? Or do you guys find the ZL ano very durable also?

back to topic, I prefer the darker look of the Anodizing to the older grayer ones. Just my opinion, but i just love these colors as opposed to all the black lights that are on the market.
It is interesting to think about aftermarket finishes like duracoat or something. Hey, do I see a Blaze Orange Sc62d coming to me soon?

dave

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several things going on here:

HA is not a coating, like plating. Its a chemical reaction on the surface of the aluminum.

HA/NA (natural) is undyed. The strength/temperature of the solution, time in the bath, composition of the metal, all play a part. Heads, bodies, and tailcaps may be made in different ways with potentially different metals. Typical is head and tail with one shade and body with another.

Anything not natural is dyed, including black. So black HA finishes are more likely (but not certain) to match, because the dyes overpower undyed variations.

From what we have observed, non-dyed (natural) Type III anodic coatings usually provide the maximum degree of wear and abrasion resistance. However, matching colors from non-dyed Type III coatings can only be achieved by a well controlled and calibrated anodizing process AND at a great cost. This is especially true with 6061 type materials. It's much easier to obtain consistent results with 3000 series materials such as those used in Calphalon cookware. You'll almost always need a huge anodizing tank and temperature about -3 to -6 degree Celsius maintained throughout the process to begin with. Very few such facilities exist in China, and almost none exist in southern part of China where most Chinese flashlight manufactures are based. It's also very difficult to do it right in southern part of the US especially during the summer.

While black colored Type III coatings are not necessary inferior to the non-dyed Type III coatings, the color can sometimes coverup the substandard coatings. Some manufactures even use colors that look like non-dyed coatings.

I won't get into the details of how we managed to obtain that thick, dark, and color matched natural Type III coatings.
Quotes from the Surefire anodizing thread which I so conveniently and accidentally bumped up.

I find the Zebralight natural HA to be one of the most durable finishes I have encountered on any light.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good quotes. And yes Zebralight is known for real HA anodizing right from the start, not the crap that other manufactures often use and claim is HA but it isn't. Surefire in the past (and probably still) have great anodizing, but in the past they have had color mismatches on different pieces of an individual light, which bothers some people to no end. I've never been bothered by it too much, and most of their targeted customers (the military and LE) were not either.

Erik1213

Enlightened
I really hope ZL releases the S6330 MKII L2 soon. They told me in February, that they were working on it.

I'm hoping it will come in neutral white. I still need to send this one off for repair because two of the LEDs only work on H1 or they're stuck on L2.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I think Zebras look good naked.
Pretty cool, but aluminum needs some protection otherwise it oxidizes and gets all over your hands.

I hope they release the S6330 again one day. I think it's the only Zebralight I've never had.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several bare AL lights and no problems with residue. I'm sure they would if left out in the environment for a extended amount of time. In normal use I've had no issues.