Zebralight H501 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight H501 specs

I have an idea for Zebralight's next light. Don't know if somebody came up with this already, but here it goes. Put another light where the on/off switch is so as to make it a 2 in 1 light - a flood light and regular light with throw. The on/off switch can go to the tail. They can probably keep it around 3'' long even with 2 LEDs. Whoever can make something like thing will take over the market.

Damn, that's a brilliant idea. I should get this patented.

Eric_LED

Newly Enlightened

Maybe use double click in high mode into strobe mode or sos mode ,like H60 has double click function,if you don't like strobe mode on headlamp,you don't use double click function,and you can also use it easily

AdamW

Newly Enlightened

Maybe use double click in high mode into strobe mode or sos mode ,like H60 has double click function,if you don't like strobe mode on headlamp,you don't use double click function,and you can also use it easily

They could over-complicate a headlight to the point where it is a pain to use.

Simple is good.

Shorty66

Enlightened

I really like the h60s double click to change brightness setting.
In my opinion this double click doesnt make the light any more complicated as you will just set the modes to your like and you wont notice any difference to a normal 3-mode light in every day usage.

If a Strobe modus would be programmable in that double click way it wouldn't hurt the average headlamp user but make the light more versatile.

I like the idea even though i dont think i would ever use it.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make

crazy idea of improving a a flood zebralight.. idea for next generation.

make the top of the light to be turnable around the led.

something like 180degrees.
locking into one side: the current style flood housing..
other side: an aspherical lense or just short reflector for more throw.

even better, make it stop at 90 degrees for red filter flood housing.

hmm how bout turning it one more 90degrees and make it click into full OFF setting for storage.

this would kill the "small simple is pretty" thing they have going on.
but i would like one.

why put a light to website (like surefire does) that is not in production or actually for sale yet.
and might not ever come.

never understood that. and never will.

i can understand it to go into separate "coming products/ concepts page" but that too only if there is atleast some set estimate of day when available.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened

They could over-complicate a headlight to the point where it is a pain to use.

Simple is good.

can't agree more. unless the light uses a seperate rotary mode dial for different output levels & modes coupled with a forward clickie. :thinking:

i wonder how much would it cost... :sick2:

piper

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone know when this will be released?

I'm thinking about getting a H50 (instant gratification) or an H501 (the waitin' is the hardest part). No, I cannot afford both.

Help me out here what are the pros & cons of both lights?

I love the floody beam!

Thanks,

Piper

Shorty66

Enlightened

It was supposed to be avaiable for preorder this week. Zebralight seems to be a bit late.
Well, not that i really believed that i could get the H501 before April...

drmaxx

Enlightened

I'm thinking about getting a H50 (instant gratification) or an H501 (the waitin' is the hardest part). No, I cannot afford both.

Help me out here what are the pros & cons of both lights?

I love the floody beam!
The H50s beam is really wide. Great for close up work.
However, you can not use it as a hiking light. Even on high, it barely illuminates 2-3 yards - simply not enough to be safe on an unknown trail.

I am waiting for the 501 for my true emergency hiking light.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

The H50s beam is really wide. Great for close up work.
However, you can not use it as a hiking light. Even on high, it barely illuminates 2-3 yards - simply not enough to be safe on an unknown trail.

I am waiting for the 501 for my true emergency hiking light.
I've often hiked at night with just the H50 clipped on the shoulder strap of my backpack. It not only lights up the trail, but the beam is wide enough to see the rocks and roots near my feet too. Even though the light is going back and forth as I walk, it lights up my field of view. What it can't do is see what's ahead down the trail say past 20 feet. You need a regular flashlight for that. I'm guessing the difference in performance depends on how dark it is and how night adapted your eyes are.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just because the 501 has a narrower beam does not mean it will have a longer throw. Or does it?

DevL

Newly Enlightened

OK I have a zebra related math question. An even 120 degree wide beam projected onto a flat surface at a particular distance will produce a circle that is a certain diameter. A circle produced from an 80 degree beam will produce a smaller circle. If we know those two circle's sizes we can determine how much less area the 80 degree beam covers and thus how much more lux will be into the beam on a % basis. This tells us how much more range an 80 degree beam produces vs a 120 degree beam.

Is anyone one smart enough to tell us how much of an increase in brightness we get going from a 120 degree beam to a 80 degree beam? Finally if we can determine the throw score of a H50 on high with 120 degree wide beam and 66 total lumens spread evenly across the beam, and then figure an 80 degree beam with 96 lumen power... we can determine exactly how much more throw a H501 has vs a H50.

Anyone good enough at math to give this a shot and answer it?

I know the beam is not perfectly even across and its broighter in the middle becasue it is a shorter range to the center of the beam as well but it should be close enough to make an educated guess, provided the zebralight stats are accurate.

Last edited:

Shorty66

Enlightened

Area of a circle: r²*Pi
r= sin(1/2 alpha)*distance

=> area of the circle at 120degree and 1m distance:
(sin(60)*1)²*Pi= ~ 2,36m²

area of the circle at 80degree and 1m distance:
(sin(40)*1)²*Pi= ~ 1,30m²

The Ratio between the the two areas is 1,82 which means, that the 80degree light is almost twice as bright at the same distance and overall output.

That means that the H501 which is supposed to have 96 Lumens overall output should be 2,64 times as bright as the h50 which has 66lumens overall output.

While this should be true in terms of lux, you have to take in to consideration, that our eyes notice brightness on a quadratic scale: 4 times as bright seems only double as bright to us.
So the new H501 is 2,64 times as bright as the H50 in LUX readings but it seems to us only about 1,63 times as bright.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts