Zebralight H600Fc Mk IV - First Impressions

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Alright fellas, I braved the -25°C weather and got the chance to play with my flashlights.

In terms of throw, the H53c (as expected) surpassed the H600Fc for a comparable lumens settings. It definitely took a higher setting on the H600Fc to match the H53c. Please, don't quote me on the numbers as these are purely from my perspective in a semi-bright evenining in one area, the weather was also cold and the H53c had a fresh L91 which would perform better in the cold than an 18650. The 596 lm of the Fc looked like the 285 lm of c, and 143 lm of Fc was comparable to 106 lm of the c. The 300 lm of the H600Fc still threw light pretty far (probably more than enough for most purposes), so I wouldn't necessarily defer from a frosted AA model for weaker throw only. The quality of throw however is much better for the spot spill model, in other words, the overall area of the far-throw is larger. If I was trying to spot a trail marker, I'd much rather use spot/spill, even if I had to sacrifice some lumens. At lower settings, the improvement of throw in the spot/spill is very noticeable too. I love the nice tiny 0.01 lm moon my H53c can emit.

The tint of the H600Fc IV so far has been amazing to me - has me giggling like a little kid. I believe the frosted lens helps out with the tint shift, but regardless, the overall colour is just what I wanted. The H600Fc is very neutral with a slight bias towards yellow. The H53c is very yellow at the hotspot, slightly green corona, and whiter in the spill. In my limited field use, they both look great and have their own advantages. The H53c brings out red, green, brown, and yellow amazingly, but makes the snow look muddy. The H600Fc brings out the same colours well, but not quite as vividly, but the snow remains white. I believe the H600Fc is a great balance of colour rendering without too much of a biased tint - it's neutral.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
I also forgot to add that I programmed the PID 5°C lower, I didn't notice a step-down and the light didn't get as hot as the default temperature, but I was also in cold weather.

I brought out my BLF A6 3D and my H600Fc was very competitive in terms of brightness. The BLF obviously throws farther, but both felt equally impressive in terms of output.

NPL

Enlightened
:) thanks again for the write up. Looks like the h53c and h600fc make a great combo. Still wished they offered it in a reflector version... But given the high lumen value, I think it will prove to be a good all around work horse. Can't wait to get mine and curious to see this tint for myself. Cheers

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Yeah I think you can't go wrong with either choice, the spot/spill still has a decently wide beam, and the frosted have a decently throwy beam, it's not a deal-breaking compromise in either model IMO.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to say about it!

This community is awesome; it's great to have internet friends to nerd out with about these devices.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still hung up on the OP's report of thin and missing anodizing on his sample. That's the exact reason for which I returned my last ZL headlamp. The dealer told me it was typical of ZL and should be expected. I hope in the OP's case, this is just a coincidence, and not an indication of lower anodizing and/or lower QC standards.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
My hang-up is different:

I am attracted to the greater Lumen output of the XHP50 emitters. But because of artifacts in the beam, those are used only in Frosted models. And I *much* prefer Clear-lens models, for the throw (even if I do sometimes use them with dc-fix).

So then I look at the Clear-lens models, and they are all XHP35 emitters. So the lumens are much lower, in fact not *much* higher than my old MkII.

That's where I'm stuck.

NPL

Enlightened
My hang-up is different:

I am attracted to the greater Lumen output of the XHP50 emitters. But because of artifacts in the beam, those are used only in Frosted models. And I *much* prefer Clear-lens models, for the throw (even if I do sometimes use them with dc-fix).

So then I look at the Clear-lens models, and they are all XHP35 emitters. So the lumens are much lower, in fact not *much* higher than my old MkII.

That's where I'm stuck.
There's also no high CRI (90+) in clear lens reflector headlamps, which bothers me more than the lumen output.

markr6

Flashaholic
There's also no high CRI (90+) in clear lens reflector headlamps, which bothers me more than the lumen output.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but we still need that Nichia Zebralight, for those that don't necessarily need a hand-burning light that steps down after 17 seconds anyway.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still hung up on the OP's report of thin and missing anodizing on his sample. That's the exact reason for which I returned my last ZL headlamp. The dealer told me it was typical of ZL and should be expected. I hope in the OP's case, this is just a coincidence, and not an indication of lower anodizing and/or lower QC standards.

I have ordered 5 ZL's in the last 2 months. Every one has perfectly even thick anodizing. I did receive one with a small dent however.

While some tiny imperfections don't really effect function, ZL should up their quality control as for the premium they charge, the fit and finish should be perfect. At least one can always take advantage of ZL's return policy and send it back for an exchange if they are not happy though.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your thoughts, I love the graph and the way you set up the modes. That is why I would upgrade to the mk4. I have the mk3 and will prob sell it.

My problem is, I like more of a 4500k tint... I have a "w" and a "c". While the color rendering is much better on the "c", it is a tad too warm unless I use it outdoors. Indoors, I like the "w" tint better but the lower cri and tint shift make me reach for the "c" more often. I'm stuck between the "c" and "d"...

Of course in real use, there really is not a huge difference, but I have a bunch of lights and compare them side by side, and as such have these nagging thoughts... Lol (flashaholic problems...)

markr6

Flashaholic
Lol (flashaholic problems...)

Haha that's how it goes. You take light "a" but you know you left the one with better tint at home. Take light "b" but you know you left the one with a better CRI at home. Take both and you wish they could be magically combined into one light.

Petrsv

Newly Enlightened
Alright fellas, I braved the -25°C weather and got the chance to play with my flashlights.

In terms of throw, the H53c (as expected) surpassed the H600Fc for a comparable lumens settings. It definitely took a higher setting on the H600Fc to match the H53c. Please, don't quote me on the numbers as these are purely from my perspective in a semi-bright evenining in one area, the weather was also cold and the H53c had a fresh L91 which would perform better in the cold than an 18650. The 596 lm of the Fc looked like the 285 lm of c, and 143 lm of Fc was comparable to 106 lm of the c. The 300 lm of the H600Fc still threw light pretty far (probably more than enough for most purposes), so I wouldn't necessarily defer from a frosted AA model for weaker throw only. The quality of throw however is much better for the spot spill model, in other words, the overall area of the far-throw is larger. If I was trying to spot a trail marker, I'd much rather use spot/spill, even if I had to sacrifice some lumens. At lower settings, the improvement of throw in the spot/spill is very noticeable too. I love the nice tiny 0.01 lm moon my H53c can emit.

The tint of the H600Fc IV so far has been amazing to me - has me giggling like a little kid. I believe the frosted lens helps out with the tint shift, but regardless, the overall colour is just what I wanted. The H600Fc is very neutral with a slight bias towards yellow. The H53c is very yellow at the hotspot, slightly green corona, and whiter in the spill. In my limited field use, they both look great and have their own advantages. The H53c brings out red, green, brown, and yellow amazingly, but makes the snow look muddy. The H600Fc brings out the same colours well, but not quite as vividly, but the snow remains white. I believe the H600Fc is a great balance of colour rendering without too much of a biased tint - it's neutral.
Hello , I was wondering, are you using the unprotected 18650 the one sold on zebralight website?

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Forgot to mention, I was using an unprotected NCR18650GA in both lights.

Thanks for the feedback folks, I appreciate the positive replies!

Petrsv

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to mention, I was using an unprotected NCR18650GA in both lights.

Thanks for the feedback folks, I appreciate the positive replies!
I have the H600FD mk4 and it will not work on high with that same 1860. Zebralight said it is the battery and that I need a unproductied one, so I ordered the ZL 635 from there site. But yours works fine with that battery so I think I may have a problem with my light.

evgeniy

Newly Enlightened
thanks for review.
Can you make RAW beamshots on white wall (or any other white surface) for H600Fc IV & H53c?

likethevegetable

Enlightened
On my OP I show a comparison, the beam on the left is H53c and on the right is H600Fc. I only have my Samsung S7 to take photos with, I feel like I would be doing the beams an injustice by uploading poor photos.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
I have the H600FD mk4 and it will not work on high with that same 1860. Zebralight said it is the battery and that I need a unproductied one, so I ordered the ZL 635 from there site. But yours works fine with that battery so I think I may have a problem with my light.

Dang, that's frustrating. I believe the ZL 635 is protected though.. you want a Sanyo UNprotected NCR18650GA

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My hang-up is different:

That's where I'm stuck.

Hey Lampe-
I replaced my beloved & waterlogged H600w MKII with an H600fc MKIII & have felt the beam pretty much universally better for anything I use a headlamp for - MTN bikes, backpacking, camping, cooking etc.
three of my friends whom frequently ride and backpack with me have h600w MKIII and one has the reflector-less model (which we all think kinda sucks) so I've had lots of chances to compare in the field.

I do usually have a handheld throwy light available but even if not it's not like ~900 Floody lumens gives me tunnel vision :)

The frosted feels like it has more lumens at close range due to the spill being so filled out.

That's me 2cents - cheerz!

bentas

Newly Enlightened
Well, looks like this was the right thread for me! I've just ordered a Zebralight H600Fc Mk IV! ... as a bonus it's free international shipping (I'm Australian... Tasmanian)

Given that this is my first headlamp since 2011 I thought why not!

Now a couple of extra questions!

1. Is there a reliable way to mount this to my bike handlebars? (ie somehow mount the silicone holder, I've ordered an extra glow in the dark one, to easily transfer from headtorch to bike?)

2. Does anyone have an older model 14500 compatible Zebralight like the H52c for sale (or similar quality non ZL?) I think the larger 600 will work great for most things but I still really liked the 14500 size and I had just bought new really good 14500 batteries - well 1 left now after the other went with the stolen Spark ST5.

thanks again, really excited to receive my headlight soon... though not a flashaholic by this forum's standards I loved my ST5 and used it on most days and am lost without it!

cheers
Ben

Lumenize

Newly Enlightened
I was pleasantly surprised to find a pocket clip in the box, but it looks likes a complete afterthought and consolation gift..
I think you could be right about that because it's nowehere mentioned on the ZL site , the light includes a clip. The pictures are without a clip too.
Good it has a clip because it greatly increases usability (for me). Clipped on your skirt can be handy. Even on the front of your belt can be useful when you don't have the headband with you.

Question: Does it work with flat-tops?