Zebralight plans MKIII's and SC63 release for this year

recDNA

Flashaholic
Fairly familiar with PID working with it in much larger applications everyday. The feedback from the temperature (sensor on the main board somewhere) is driving the emitter output. I would be more worried about the 6+ volts of 2 CR123s in series letting the smoke out of the electronics than any indirect heat (if any) the batteries might create. A PID loop is simply regulating an output based on closed loop feedback, not protecting a circuit from overvoltage or current. I'd think your board would go poof before your batteries affect the process variable, the temperature in this case.
Don't forget in a high powered flashlight CR123A voltage sags. I'm not saying to do it or that it is safe but in H1 no way 2 x CR123A are at 6 volts. I don't know how much they sag but certainly below 6 volts. Still, no question excessive voltage could damage circuit and the vf of the led is below 6 also. I know I wouldn't do it. I won't even run the sc32w which is designed for a single primary on H1. The battery gets hot. I don't like that.

If the new sc63w is rated for 2 x CR123A I will buy one and run it at H2 max. I do not want to draw 3 amps from primaries in sequence.

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
True about the sag. Regardless, premature wear or sudden failure of the electronics would be the concern here and a control loop won't save that. If the upcoming 63 does support 6V, I wouldn't mind several changes to differentiate itself from the 62, and let the 62 stay on the shelves as is. Or just call it the SC6, kind of like you have the SC5 and SC52.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget in a high powered flashlight CR123A voltage sags. I'm not saying to do it or that it is safe but in H1 no way 2 x CR123A are at 6 volts. I don't know how much they sag but certainly below 6 volts. Still, no question excessive voltage could damage circuit and the vf of the led is below 6 also. I know I wouldn't do it. I won't even run the sc32w which is designed for a single primary on H1. The battery gets hot. I don't like that.

If the new sc63w is rated for 2 x CR123A I will buy one and run it at H2 max. I do not want to draw 3 amps from primaries in sequence.
Lithium chemistries don't sag badly. The open circuit voltage decreases as the battery drains. That value, whatever it is, stays pretty constant.

Voltage sag is when you're asking too much current from the battery and the voltage drops because it can't keep up.

Voltage sag is not a problem for lithium chem, both primary and rechargeable.

What's wrong from cr123x2 @ 3 amps? Scared of heat? Problem?

My favorite lights get really hot within a few minutes. It means that they kick butt. :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Lithium chemistries don't sag badly. The open circuit voltage decreases as the battery drains. That value, whatever it is, stays pretty constant.

Voltage sag is when you're asking too much current from the battery and the voltage drops because it can't keep up.

Voltage sag is not a problem for lithium chem, both primary and rechargeable.

What's wrong from cr123x2 @ 3 amps? Scared of heat? Problem?

My favorite lights get really hot within a few minutes. It means that they kick butt. :)
That means 3 amp draw from each battery. It will.sag at 3 amps. To see it you would have to measure v under load. As soon as current stops v goes back up until as you said batteries are depleted.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
That means 3 amp draw from each battery. It will.sag at 3 amps. To see it you would have to measure v under load. As soon as current stops v goes back up until as you said batteries are depleted.
Heh, you forgot about this thread, man. :)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?258661-Maximum-Amp-Draw-for-2-X-CR123

For 1500mah CR123 rated at 2c, that's 3 amps. There shouldn't be sag as this is their rating. If you go above this, that's where the sag starts to begin.

Please note that 2C continuous is not the same thing as maximum pulse, as max pulse is usually higher (sometimes by a lot.)

This varies wildly by manufacturer. Those shady ultrafire cr123a primaries you bought from a van in the side alley probably can't even do 2c I'd wager.

Some CR123 is 2.5c, some is 3c. I don't really scour the internet for the highest rated primaries as that's what I use lion for.

For a 3c 1500 mah CR123, that's 4.5 amps continuous. There'll be no sag.

Also, I'm talking about only single batteries. CR123ax2 should sag even less.

If you want high drain, just use lithium ion. Sony VTC5 is 30 amps (!) continuous.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Heh, you forgot about this thread, man. :) http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?258661-Maximum-Amp-Draw-for-2-X-CR123 For 1500mah CR123 rated at 2c, that's 3 amps. There shouldn't be sag as this is their rating. If you go above this, that's where the sag starts to begin. Please note that 2C continuous is not the same thing as maximum pulse, as max pulse is usually higher (sometimes by a lot.) This varies wildly by manufacturer. Those shady ultrafire cr123a primaries you bought from a van in the side alley probably can't even do 2c I'd wager. Some CR123 is 2.5c, some is 3c. I don't really scour the internet for the highest rated primaries as that's what I use lion for. For a 3c 1500 mah CR123, that's 4.5 amps continuous. There'll be no sag. Also, I'm talking about only single batteries. CR123ax2 should sag even less. If you want high drain, just use lithium ion. Sony VTC5 is 30 amps (!) continuous.
Nothing there says 2C other than the word of one poster. Look at the actual spec sheets for different CR123A primaries (they're out there) and I don't think you'll see any near 2C. Maybe 1C.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you add cells in series, they sag some. As you add more, it's not going to drop down to nothing or else you couldn't weld with 9v batteries in series.

By itself, a 9v battery is crap for voltage sag at relatively low discharge rates. If recDNA is correct, then the two above videos are impossible.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure ALL kinds of cells sag a bit under load but anyways, all of this 123 talk has really bogged this thread down...
Any news on the actual lights? :)

I hope Zebra doesn't nerf future lights trying to make everyone happy by adding 6v compatibility.

markr6

Flashaholic
I agree. Has anyone heard of a pre-release review yet?

Nothing new that I know of. SC600w Mk III HI still on the ZL spreadsheet with the old 9/2015 release date. SC63 not even on the sheet. I'm a little more interested in the SC63 since I'm not sure what improvements can be made. Maybe an XP-L since the SC600 will have an XP-L HI?

recDNA

Flashaholic
2C is for li ions not primaries but chemistry has changed since then and some li ions do way more than 2C (IMR or hybrids) Surefire would not give me a straight answer on primary max current. I called them. Anyway I really hope new ZL allows for use for primaries safely.

Sorry for the detour. I love me some Zebralights! How cool would a zebra striped Zebra light be?

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you just made me realize that ZL comes in one color. I actually would be up for a Zebralight that's black/white zebra striped! :)

Will they ever offer colors? Bet the new MKIII and SC63 are same ole ZL gray.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well honestly, some of my zebra's are kinda stripey. Their natural ano is far from one uniform color if you really look at it closely.

TCY

Enlightened
Bad news guys. I emailed ZL earlier today about MKIII's release date. They plan to introduce the MKIII later this month and shipping would commence about one month after, which means if any of us are lucky to get the very first batch, it would be late November.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a SC600 MKII (Cool White), however I'm not disappointed to find out about the MKIII. Very happy with my MKII - I am excited to find out what Zebralight bring in the new revision. Maybe next year if it is enough of a change I'll buy the MKIII in Neutral White - and keep both!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a different browser. It works fine for me.

What the?! I had to sign out of my Google account for it to work. Crazy. While logged in to my account, it gives me:

Google Docs encountered an error. Please try reloading this page, or coming back to it in a few minutes.
To learn more about the Google Docs editors, please visit our help center.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.
- The Google Docs Team

Regardless, I can see it again. Thanks!

markr6

Flashaholic
Good to have a more accurate ETA on the MKIII :twothumbs

Now for that SC63...