Zebralight plans MKIII's and SC63 release for this year

recDNA

Flashaholic
I doubt it. Not even an unprotected NCR18650GA or B with button top. That's only 1-2mm longer than a bare cell. Very tight tolerance here.
Surprising it rattles then. I suppose that is the lack of a spring.

Humantorch

Newly Enlightened
I'm just gonna shake mine till I need glasses :crackup:

Try this with your NCR18650B/GA flat top cells:

If you hold the MKII in your left hand, and the MKIII in your right hand, you can play the maracas :)

Yep, both the MKII and the MKIII can be made to rattle with flat-top 65mm cells.

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using 30Q batteries with no rattle - beam on the MIII is as tight as the MII but brighter and perfectly white unlike the MII tint which when side by side is green :sick: :green: :barf: definitely getting rid of the MII.

Last edited:

sdr

Newly Enlightened
Try this with your NCR18650B/GA flat top cells:

If you hold the MKII in your left hand, and the MKIII in your right hand, you can play the maracas :)

Yep, both the MKII and the MKIII can be made to rattle with flat-top 65mm cells.

Actually, I have been using flat top 65mm cells in my Mk II for quite some time and there is zero rattle in mine. (Panasonic NCR18650B and Sanyo NCR18650GA) However, I cannot make that same claim when using flat top 65mm's in my Original SC600. Granted, I have to shake it REAL hard (more so than with my Mk III) in order to produce a rattle. But, indeed, it will rattle when shaken vigorously enough.

Let's review *MY* experiences...

Mk I - It will rattle when shaken vigorously!
Mk II - Does not rattle. Nope, no rattle. Zip!
Mk III - Rattles when shaken like a maraca!

As always, your mileage may vary.

sdr

Newly Enlightened
Using 30Q batteries with no rattle - beam on the MIII is as tight as the MII but brighter and perfectly white unlike the MII tint which when side by side is green :sick: :green: :barf: definitely getting rid of the MII.

Hmm? Interesting! Obviously the extra .3mm width on the 30Q's is the determining factor. Are you having any difficulty removing the cells from the light? They're not TOO tight? *Sounding a little like Goldilocks* Are they...Just Right?

Last edited:

Enlightened
Some of my lights rattle when shaken. Do I care though? No because I have to shake them fairly violently to hear it and it would never come up in normal usage.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm? Interesting! Obviously the extra .3mm width on the 30Q's is the determining factor. Are you having any difficulty removing the cells from the light? They're not TOO tight? *Sounding a little like Goldilocks* Are they...Just Right?
30Q's fit right to me - you have to shake the crap out of it to make it rattle and they fall out nice and easy.
Personally I can't see why anyone wouldn't like this light for EDC. But for me I have found just a few niggles, probably not an issue for most - in a stressful situation it's hard to find the button and use the UI compared to a tail cap button, and it gets real hot quick when you need high for extended use - but as I said for general duties it's great.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
Would these batteries from Mtn Electronics fit the MKIII: http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=545
They are the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500 mAh 10A but the height is listed as 65.5 mm (diameter is 18.6mm). Would the XTAR VP2 be a good charger to go with these batteries?

I don't think the rattle will bother me, since I don't don't use lights for anything more strenuous that moderate hiking and setting up camp. But if wrapping a battery, do you put the new wrap over the one that's already there? Could another layer affect battery heat buildup in any way that matters?

I like warmer tints, but the MKIII cool white beam shots posted here are beautiful. I'll probably go with the CW, and see if a Lee Filter will work on this light when out in nature.

Last edited:

henry1960

Enlightened
When Zebra light produced this light blue prints and all..Do you mean they did not see this the rattle with a 65mm battery???????

seasam

Newly Enlightened
Would these batteries from Mtn Electronics fit the MKIII: http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=545
They are the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500 mAh 10A but the height is listed as 65.5 mm (diameter is 18.6mm). Would the XTAR VP2 be a good charger to go with these batteries?

I don't think the rattle will bother me, since I don't don't use lights for anything more strenuous that moderate hiking and setting up camp. But if wrapping a battery, do you put the new wrap over the one that's already there? Could another layer affect battery heat buildup in any way that matters?

I like warmer tints, but the MKIII cool white beam shots posted here are beautiful. I'll probably go with the CW, and see if a Lee Filter will work on this light when out in nature.

Those batteries you listed are the same ones ZL ships with the SC600w for those of us in the USA.

The rattle isn't that bad, I can make all of my lights rattle if I shake them hard enough, it's just this light rattles a little easier. I guess I wouldn't jog with this light, but general useage it's fine.

markr6

Flashaholic

Yes the NCR186GA flat tops fit. I put clear shrink wrap on mine and it almost eliminated the rattle. Yes you put it right over the red OEM wrap

Those batteries you listed are the same ones ZL ships with the SC600w for those of us in the USA.

The rattle isn't that bad, I can make all of my lights rattle if I shake them hard enough, it's just this light rattles a little easier. I guess I wouldn't jog with this light, but general useage it's fine.

Close, but not the GA. ZL is shipping the NCR18650BF.

My MKII doesn't rattle no matter what. It's basically an indestructible pipe bomb. I'm surprised people don't mind it. It doesn't affect performance but it's just so annoying. Another example is my BLF A6 - I have to use a wrapped button top in that or else it rattles like crazy.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
If I was worried by a little rattle, I would have ditched my Renault long ago

Haha you should see my Jeep Grand Cherokee!

I guess my point isn't the fact that the flashlight rattles and it can be ignored...it's that there is a FIX and a proper way = NO rattle. Again, comparing to another flashlight (MKII) will make it worse.

Swede74

Enlightened
I know this is a Zebralight thread, but a cylinder is a cylinder. This is what I use to prevent rattle in my Nitecore MT2A. I hope the picture is worth, if not a thousand words, then at least the one that says "bakplåtspapper" in English.

IMG_20151222_155505_resized.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
That'll do it. Here's my MKIII back from page 38...plastic + a little paper at the tail end for NO rattle.

Paper wrapped
rattle.jpg

Clear wrap - highly recommended! I bought mine from Illumn.
clear_wrap.jpg

The Whispering Gallery

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'm getting a MKIII NW as a graduation gift from my wife!

With regards to battery wrapping, is no one worried about the battery getting too hot due to the added insulation?

markr6

Flashaholic
Looks like I'm getting a MKIII NW as a graduation gift from my wife!

With regards to battery wrapping, is no one worried about the battery getting too hot due to the added insulation?

I wouldn't worry about it. Many reputable resellers have to add their own wrapping when attaching button tops and protection circuits. It is very common.

The heat from the hair dryer will probably be the hottest temps that battery will ever see!

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Xtar VP2 is one of my most used chargers the other ones I use often is the Xtar SP2; your choice of Mountain Electronics for batteries is a good choice too.

simba23

Newly Enlightened
I got the XTAR charger. It's nice because you can see what the actual mah capacity of the batteries are.