Zebralight plans MKIII's and SC63 release for this year

simba23

Newly Enlightened
Man, I still haven't received my mk3. I got it preordered too, but it's international shipping. So slow!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like they over-bored the bodies a bit. Maybe it's something that will be corrected in future batches.
No need for such a large ID for raw cells..

jhe888

Newly Enlightened
Mk I - It will rattle when shaken vigorously!
Mk II - Does not rattle. Nope, no rattle. Zip!
Mk III - Rattles when shaken like a maraca!

What if you shake them like a Polaroid picture?

sdr

Newly Enlightened

Indeed. A common misconception. A James Bond martini is to be shaken. Whereas a Polaroid picture should neither be shaken or waved. Simply laying it on a flat surface will suffice. See link---> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/02/17/polaroid.warns.reut/

My ZebraLight SC600 Mk III need only be turned on. Shaking is not required.

alcheshire_cat.gif

AussieRanga

Enlightened
Seems like they over-bored the bodies a bit. Maybe it's something that will be corrected in future batches.
No need for such a large ID for raw cells..

Leaving it the way it is, allowing you to shrink wrap a cell to bring it closer to filling the tube out, will be a much better option IMO

Most lights rattle to some extent. Because we are so used to the SC63 and SC600 MkII and the complete (and almost complete for some) lack of rattle, this is, thanks to the forums, made out to be a bigger issue than it is in reality..

I, like a few others, have found the insulated wrapping of OEM cells to be often less than adequate at providing any sort of mechanichal protection so adding an additional wrap will, particularly in this case, not only lessen any battery rattle, but will also protect the battery much more.

The only times I have damaged any of the wrapping on my cells is when removed from a VP1 or VP2 so don't discount this from happening to you guys..

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leaving it the way it is, allowing you to shrink wrap a cell to bring it closer to filling the tube out, will be a much better option IMO

Most lights rattle to some extent. Because we are so used to the SC63 and SC600 MkII and the complete (and almost complete for some) lack of rattle, this is, thanks to the forums, made out to be a bigger issue than it is in reality..

I, like a few others, have found the insulated wrapping of OEM cells to be often less than adequate at providing any sort of mechanichal protection so adding an additional wrap will, particularly in this case, not only lessen any battery rattle, but will also protect the battery much more.

The only times I have damaged any of the wrapping on my cells is when removed from a VP1 or VP2 so don't discount this from happening to you guys..

Idk - none of my lights rattle except for my Solarforce hosts.
Seems like a mistake on Zebras end to me.

Ridiculous to have to wrap cells in a light that's supposedly designed for raw cells.

Even my double wrapped (I often wrap cells too) fit in my H600W fine - a tad snug in my bored SureFire host.
Everything else I have has a bit more wiggle room but they all have springs.

I'm hoping they pull the ID in a bit on future batches and on the other forthcoming models.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

You think you've got it
Oh, you think you've got it
But got it just don't get it
'Til there's nothing at all-a-all-a-all

Shake it sugar!

So no good for an Outkast gig then ...

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a Zebralight thread, but a cylinder is a cylinder. This is what I use to prevent rattle in my Nitecore MT2A. I hope the picture is worth, if not a thousand words, then at least the one that says "bakplåtspapper" in English.

IMG_20151222_155505_resized.jpg
Good idea, parchment paper that withstands baking temperatures, and it would be a place for a return address like jmwking posted.

Last edited:

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to hold off on ordering from Zebralight until the SC63 is released to compare. Those beam shots of the MKIII aren't helping my will power any.

Thanks for the replies to my post #1268. Looks like the XTAR VP2 is thumbs up and an extra wrap is no problem with heat buildup. Still not sure about the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 65.5mm unprotected at mtnelectronics. Will 65.5mm be too long? Would it be better to go with the NCR18650BF 65mm that Zebralight is selling?

Last edited:

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Still not sure about the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 65.5mm unprotected at mtnelectronics. Will 65.5mm be too long? Would it be better to go with the NCR18650BF 65mm that Zebralight is selling?

Since some time Zebralight does sell a Sanyo NCR18650GA as an accessoire. And I guess they have sent out some MKIII's with this cell as a little gift... so it will surely fit :)

Humantorch

Newly Enlightened
The NCR18650GA cells fit my MKIII just fine, but they do rattle when the torch is moved around like the Samsung and LG 18650's out there.

I'm liking the MKIII more each day, my NW tint is very close to my nichia lights... At least up high

markr6

Flashaholic
I think a lot of my posts are getting missed...understood since we're up to 44 pages now!! So a quick recap:

NCR18650GA IS NOT being included with the MKIII by Zebralight. They sell those, but the NCR18650BF is the cell being included for US buyers.

NCR18650GA fits (better fit and less rattle with clear wrapper)
NCR18650GA button top does NOT fit
NCR18650Bfits (better fit and less rattle with clear wrapper)
NCR18650B button top does NOT fit
Samsung 18650F fits

see the pattern?

SO basically anything other than a plain straight up OEM cell will not fit.

And just to give everyone an idea of the tight tolerances on Zebralights, when I insert an NCR18650GA with clear wrap into:

H600w - does not fit
SC600w II - fits fine
SC600w III - barely fits...won't "fall" in so I have to push it. Then I need to shake it out.
SC62w - only fits half way, but if I "scratch" the wrapper with scissors, but without cutting it, that TINY reduction allows it to slide in.

So this is highly dependent on the thickness of the wrapper too. Another example:

2 out of 3 NCR18650B from mtn electronics did not fit H600w
2 out of 2 NCR18650B from Fasttech did fit H600w

Same cells, same "batches", same everything. The tiniest variation of wrap can cause a problem. I actually removed the wrap and re-wrapped; all cells work now.

Last edited:

sdr

Newly Enlightened
I think a lot of my posts are getting missed...understood since we're up to 44 pages now!! So a quick recap:

NCR18650GA IS NOT being included with the MKIII by Zebralight. They sell those, but the NCR18650BF is the cell being included for US buyers.

NCR18650GA fits (better fit and less rattle with clear wrapper)
NCR18650GA button top does NOT fit
NCR18650Bfits (better fit and less rattle with clear wrapper)
NCR18650B button top does NOT fit
Samsung 18650F fits

see the pattern?

SO basically anything other than a plain straight up OEM cell will not fit.

And just to give everyone an idea of the tight tolerances on Zebralights, when I insert an NCR18650GA with clear wrap into:

H600w - does not fit
SC600w II - fits fine
SC600w III - barely fits...won't "fall" in so I have to push it. Then I need to shake it out.
SC62w - only fits half way, but if I "scratch" the wrapper with scissors, but without cutting it, that TINY reduction allows it to slide in.

So this is highly dependent on the thickness of the wrapper too. Another example:

2 out of 3 NCR18650B from mtn electronics did not fit H600w
2 out of 2 NCR18650B from Fasttech did fit H600w

Same cells, same "batches", same everything. The tiniest variation of wrap can cause a problem. I actually removed the wrap and re-wrapped; all cells work now.

"If the cell don't fit you must omit!"
~ Johnny Cochran 1995