Zebralight plans MKIII's and SC63 release for this year

LessDark

Enlightened
Re: very picky on battery length

Interesting. If you use the SC62 tailcap, are you able to use longer cells then such as a protected battery?

Update: as expected, using an NCR18650GA does not solve the problem.

The light flickers on H1 when moved (not even shaken).
This only happens with near-empty (less than 30%) battery. The effect becomes more pronounced the emptier the battery gets.

With an SC62 tailcap on the MK III there is no rattle and no flickering at all. An MK II tailcap should also work. Makes me wonder why they changed the tailcap design at all.

The contact problem also has a significant effect on runtime:
With the SC62 tailcap I get 44 +/- 0.5 minutes (H1, 1126lm). With the MK III tailcap I get 32-37 minutes. (Water cooled, 4 test runs each.)

Zebralight wants me to send the light to China for repair. I'm reluctant because it will take 2 months, has the risk of the light getting lost, and maybe won't solve the problem at all.
They refused to just send me a MK II tailcap.

henry1960

Enlightened

I Totally Agree!!! But Why Did QC See This During Production???????:faint:

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ugh why does Zebralight never publish lux numbers on their website. What is the purpose of showing a HI version without telling us how much more it can throw?

They don't have an XP-L HI. The XHP HI is a flooder. The lux will still suck. I wonder how a max driven xp-e2 or xp-g2 would do with a smooth reflector.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone notice any difference in throw between the SC600 mkII and mkIII?

Selfbuilt measured the throw of the mark 2 @ 11,000 CD.
I'm guessing that of the mark 3 may be slightly higher, but under 15,000 CD.
Would be helpful if someone could post comparison beam shots.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't have an XP-L HI. The XHP HI is a flooder. The lux will still suck. I wonder how a max driven xp-e2 or xp-g2 would do with a smooth reflector.

It definitely isn't a flooder, the HI version. More important is reflector design and size, with the same reflector but an HI emitter throw should be increased by a decent amount. It's also more lumens which helps compensate as well. Should be about 17-20k is what I'm guessing. When I get mine I have a few decent throwers to compare it with.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It definitely isn't a flooder, the HI version. More important is reflector design and size, with the same reflector but an HI emitter throw should be increased by a decent amount. It's also more lumens which helps compensate as well. Should be about 17-20k is what I'm guessing. When I get mine I have a few decent throwers to compare it with.
The current Hi version is XHP not XPL. I doubt it throws anywhere near 20k

bodhran

Enlightened
Haven't posted in ages. Just received my mk3w and thought I would throw in my two cents. Being in the U.S. it did come with battery. Also purchased a couple NCR18650GA batteries from Zebralight as I didn't want to take a chance the batteries I have on hand didn't fit. I'm very happy with tint though it is cooler than my Mk2w. The switch depression has a more natural feel which I think is a nice improvement. The battery does rattle but I have to make an effort to do this and I don't think it will be a problem in normal use. Over all I'm very happy with this light and my Mk2 will get a much deserved retirement..*s*

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current Hi version is XHP not XPL. I doubt it throws anywhere near 20k

Thats all speculation though, the XHP35 HI throws quite well from what I've seen in beam shots comparing it with other emitters. It wouldn't be hard for it to get 17-20k in throw simply due to the increased lumens and the dedomed emitter. All that I've seen from these indicate solid results in the throw department so I see no reason it couldn't pull off at least 17k in throw.

Skivvy9r

Newly Enlightened

This is the reason I ordered the Zebralight SC600 Mkll; I did not like the further restrictions on battery maximum height of 65.0mm on the Mklll.

The reduction in height and extra ouput of the XHP35 was not an improvement for me. As I have written else where I have this past year began using two Zebralights as EDC and I like what they previous have done; I hope they solve these new design problems.

Completely agree. I canceled my MkIII preorder in mid-December, tired of the wait and asked them to send a MkII. They agreed, but a week later, still hadn't shipped theMkII. So I canceled the order and bought a discounted SC600w MkII from Night Owl Gear. Feel like I made the right choice after seeing these reviews.
I like ZL products, but I don't plan to purchase directly from them again.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

Completely agree. I canceled my MkIII preorder in mid-December, tired of the wait and asked them to send a MkII. They agreed, but a week later, still hadn't shipped theMkII. So I canceled the order and bought a discounted SC600w MkII from Night Owl Gear. Feel like I made the right choice after seeing these reviews.
I like ZL products, but I don't plan to purchase directly from them again.

Theyre usually pretty good with shipping stuff out, I'm sure with mid-December being a busy month leading up to Christmas that had a lot to do with the delay. I've ordered from them multiple times and always had very quick shipping, however December is a different animal. I know the shipping companies get overwhelmed, retailers are super busy, places like Amazon have to hire in ridiculous amounts of help, etc. Not saying the delay is acceptable but being December I certainly could see how it would take longer due to the heavy preorder volume for the MK3 and all that they had going on.

fnsooner

Enlightened

I am not a thrower guy in particular, so I haven't been keeping up with the High Intensity variants. I looked around to see if I could find an XP-L HI to look at that might compare to the ZL. The Eagletac DX30LC2 with the XP-L HI is spec'd at 17,000 lux and 285 yards beam distance. If the ZL HI can get close to that, I will be happy.

The throw freaks that want every last drop of lux squeezed from their flashlight, and beam profile be damned, may need to look elsewhere. I think ZL is probably going for quality over quantity. If they have to give up a little lux to get a larger hotspot and quality beam profile by using the XHP35 HI and an orange peel reflector, I am tickled.

As for the reflector, personally, I don't care for the smooth ones. Never have. I have mentioned this a couple of times on these forums over the years. The reason I chose the Acebeam K60 was because it was one of the only throwers out there that used a dimpled reflector. I love it.

Oddly enough, the only smooth reflectored light I own is also the only XP-L HI light I own. It is the Acebeam T20. It has a 3 inch bezel and 275,000 lux. So unless I need my most extreme thrower, I will never need to use a smooth reflector. Thanks Zebralight.

Who knows though. I can't find any info on a one inch diameter flashlight with an XHP35 HI to read up on. Maybe with its extra lumen output it will throw as well as the XP-L HI in a similar reflector. I can't wait to find out.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those beam artifacts are only noticeable when whitewall hunting; throwers are meant for outdoor use. All just my opinion of course.

And besides, I've had some smooth reflector lights with hardly any noticeable beam irregularities.

fnsooner

Enlightened

I agree twistedraven. My dislike for smooth reflectors really isn't based on logic or real world use. It is mostly just an odd quirk to my taste in flashlights. I am not sure exactly when I picked up this disdain for smooth reflectors. Even just sitting on the kitchen table and in the off position, I don't like them. I can't explain it. I have no problem using a flashlight with a smooth reflector, I just don't buy them if I can help it.:tinfoil:

I mostly brought it up as an observation and to say, that at least for me, I am glad Zebralight is using OP.

light-wolff

Newly Enlightened

Interesting. If you use the SC62 tailcap, are you able to use longer cells then such as a protected battery?
No, definitely not.

So I take it that nobody else can perceive flickering on high mode with almost depleted battery when the lamp is being moved. Lets me hope ZL can fix it when I return it.

simba23

Newly Enlightened

No, definitely not.

So I take it that nobody else can perceive flickering on high mode with almost depleted battery when the lamp is being moved. Lets me hope ZL can fix it when I return it.

Before you send it back, try cleaning the connections on the tail cap with alcohol swabs. Squish em up and down. Alcohol works wonders.

mcantu

Newly Enlightened

I'm confused. Other than dimensions, what are the differences between the SC63w and SC600w Mk III? The ZL spec sheet shows the exact same beam and battery details for both. And for the Mk III HI, the only difference shown is a 2 degree more narrow hot spot

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just size and thermal properties. Last generation was like that too.

63 series is smaller, while the 600 series is a little bigger but with same output, so it can stay in the highest turbo slightly longer before PID kicks in. I guess it also throws a little further too due to the larger reflector.

recDNA

Flashaholic

I am not a thrower guy in particular, so I haven't been keeping up with the High Intensity variants. I looked around to see if I could find an XP-L HI to look at that might compare to the ZL. The Eagletac DX30LC2 with the XP-L HI is spec'd at 17,000 lux and 285 yards beam distance. If the ZL HI can get close to that, I will be happy.

The throw freaks that want every last drop of lux squeezed from their flashlight, and beam profile be damned, may need to look elsewhere. I think ZL is probably going for quality over quantity. If they have to give up a little lux to get a larger hotspot and quality beam profile by using the XHP35 HI and an orange peel reflector, I am tickled.

As for the reflector, personally, I don't care for the smooth ones. Never have. I have mentioned this a couple of times on these forums over the years. The reason I chose the Acebeam K60 was because it was one of the only throwers out there that used a dimpled reflector. I love it.

Oddly enough, the only smooth reflectored light I own is also the only XP-L HI light I own. It is the Acebeam T20. It has a 3 inch bezel and 275,000 lux. So unless I need my most extreme thrower, I will never need to use a smooth reflector. Thanks Zebralight.

Who knows though. I can't find any info on a one inch diameter flashlight with an XHP35 HI to read up on. Maybe with its extra lumen output it will throw as well as the XP-L HI in a similar reflector. I can't wait to find out.
With a small head, dimpled reflector, and big led even if it manages 15000 lux it won't look it. With lumens alone it may reach but no hotspot will be visible at distance, just huge area of diffuse light. I find a bright hotspot with less spill is better at distance. My eyes pick up the hotspot. In other words if 2 lights both have 15k cd the one with the smaller hotspot will LOOK like it throws further. I love the Zebralight UI but need a little more throw. Zebralights are not built for it. I'm not criticizing them for it. Just happens I need a pocketable thrower so I was hoping Zebralight would build one. With a huge led in a tiny head it cannot be done. I would prefer a smaller die but that's just me. I do not mean to criticize the brand. I am never without my sc62w.

Last edited: