Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

SloNicK

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

Recently bought a SC50+, this is my EDC, very pleased. Wrote a little review here. Read about the imminent appearance of SC51 and would like to order, but was very disappointed with the lack of support 14500.
Perhaps this is due to the fact that the scheme improve the driver is more efficient in this case, perhaps it is a commercial step manufacturer.
Maybe we are somehow able to influence the manufacturer? ))

pae77

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

I feel the same way about the SC50w+. I already am and like using Li-ion rechargeables anyway, so the fact the SC51 performs a tiny bit better on NiMH cells than the SC50 on Li-ion, while certainly a great achievement, is not especially meaningful to me.

And I really like those no visible PWM low modes on the SC50/SC50w+.

Plus, after getting accustomed to using the bigger reflectored P60 hosts with bright lamp modules for outdoors, I now find all the small lights to be somewhat inadequate for outdoor use.

kiwicrunch

Newly Enlightened

Selfbuilt (or anyone else who has experience with the SC51 and SC50w),

Would you mind giving some feedback regarding the real-world difference in output between the SC50w and the SC51 using NiMH AAs? I see from your numbers that the SC51 has bit of an edge in throw, and a significant one in overall output. How perceptible are these differences to your eye?

The reason I ask is I really want a warm tint, with some throw to complement my H501w. I'm torn between waiting for a SC51w or getting the already-available SC50w.

Thank you for this review, and your many other contributions to the forum.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any plans to test the SC60? I recently bought one and I gotta say it's a great little light. :thumbsup:

yowzer

Enlightened

Selfbuilt (or anyone else who has experience with the SC51 and SC50w),

Would you mind giving some feedback regarding the real-world difference in output between the SC50w and the SC51 using NiMH AAs? I see from your numbers that the SC51 has bit of an edge in throw, and a significant one in overall output. How perceptible are these differences to your eye?

The reason I ask is I really want a warm tint, with some throw to complement my H501w. I'm torn between waiting for a SC51w or getting the already-available SC50w.

Thank you for this review, and your many other contributions to the forum.

Comparing the high and turbo on my SC50w+ running a 14500 (107 (Max output on AA) and 169 lumens) there is a notable but not extreme increase in brightness. The difference on the 51 is going to be less, because of the higher high (Advertised as 140 on the cool version, so... 120ish on nw? Turbo's probably going to be 170-180ish.)

Going to the other end of the range, the 51's low and medium levels seem, to me, to be better selected than on the 50. I use mine mostly on the lower settings, so that's attractive to me.

If you don't want to run 14500s, or like the lower lows, wait for the 51w. If you're okay with 14500 cells, get the 50w now unless you also want the 51's lower levels. Or get the 50w now and sell it off when the 51w comes in. :)

Newly Enlightened

I was wondering, on max mode (H1) why 14500 is more capable to produce flat output rather than eneloop and energizer lithium AA ? Is it because the battery voltage or battery chemistry or both ?

mighty82

Enlightened

The efficiency and features of this light looks extremely nice. I just had to pre-order one. It even has fine regulation on alkaline and L2's. Zebralight seems to be the best at circuit technology by far right now.

I just hope they are telling the truth about "smoothening" the pwm so that it's not visible. I hate that flickering. Even the LD01 was too bad for me.

SloNicK

Newly Enlightened

Today sent a SC51. Let's see ...

ZebraLight

Enlightened

Today sent a SC51. Let's see ...

The shipping started on last Friday.

The second sub-level of the High (H2) is expanded to include 100Lm, 140Lm and a 4Hz strobe. Double click 6 times in High to enter the configuration mode for the H2. Further double clicks to cycle throgh the list. Short click or long click to exit.

All sub-levels except the 100 and 0.2Lm are now current regulated. L2 PWM flickering has been reduced to a much lower level.

These updates are also implemented in the H51.

Last edited:

jason978

Newly Enlightened

HI ZEBRALIGHT,

it says that 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported. Does that mean that we CAN'T use them?

Sarlix

Enlightened

All sub-levels except the M2 (8Lm) and L2 (0.2Lm) are now current regulated. L2 PWM flickering has been reduced to a much lower level.

Good news :thumbsup:

I kick myself for purchasing the H51 prior to these changes though :-( Oh well still an excellent light :)

ZebraLight

Enlightened

HI ZEBRALIGHT,

it says that 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported. Does that mean that we CAN'T use them?

The 3.7V voltage is above the oprating range of the SC51 and thus not recommended.

pae77

Enlightened

Good news :thumbsup:

I kick myself for purchasing the H51 prior to these changes though :-( Oh well still an excellent light :)
I've learned the lesson the hard way not to order a new ZL model until it's been out for at least a few months as it's not uncommon for ZL to make modifications and fine tune them in the first few months after release (not that I mind them doing that, I just want to get the benefit of it).

dmn42

Newly Enlightened

All sub-levels except the M2 (8Lm) and L2 (0.2Lm) are now current regulated. L2 PWM flickering has been reduced to a much lower level.

What is the PWM freq? Is it more than 1000Hz?

ZebraLight

Enlightened

What is the PWM freq? Is it more than 1000Hz?

The frequency is not that high. However, a very large (relative to the load at L2) capacitor is put there to filter out most of the L2 PWM pulses.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The shipping started on last Friday.

The second sub-level of the High (H2) is expanded to include 100Lm, 140Lm and a 4Hz strobe. Double click 6 times in High to enter the configuration mode for the H2. Further double clicks to cycle throgh the list. Short click or long click to exit.

4Hz strobe! Yes! Thank you! Thank you! Now the wait for neutral white begins.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

4Hz strobe! Yes! Thank you! Thank you! Now the wait for neutral white begins.

I just received my H51 on the 10/22/10 so i thought there is no strobe after using it for 2 days now but after reading this i tried mine and it has that 4Hz strobe YESSSSSS!! I have got the latest H51 with the updated driver circuit lovecpf

dmn42

Newly Enlightened

The frequency is not that high. However, a very large (relative to the load at L2) capacitor is put there to filter out most of the L2 PWM pulses.

Well.. Lets try. Hope lowest low will be usable for me.

Btw, why didn't you simply increase freqency instead of putting capacitor?

UPD: oups, availability ot SC51 changed to back order. The first batch is sold out?

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened

The second sub-level of the High (H2) is expanded to include 100Lm, 140Lm and a 4Hz strobe.

That is excellent news regarding the addition of the strobe output. Can you tell us what nominal output level (lumen) the strobe is at? Is it run at/near max, or 140 or ?

Thanks and regards!