Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

I need some feedback from actual users about the 80° "spill beam" angle combined with the 11° hot spot on the new H-51 ZebraLight headlamps.

I have used 3 H-50's since they first came out all over the world, in some very demanding situations doing medical volunteering in the jungles of Africa, Central and South America, among others. They are reliable and the floody 120° angle is very useful in lots of situations, tho certainly not all [so I do carry other lights as well.]

I am contemplating purchasing an H-51 to have more available light, and wondered if some actual users have tried reading in bed with the H-51's 80°-11° angle combination? Does the 11° fully and evenly cover the open pages of a book when you are reading? I really don't like a strong or even noticeable hot spot on the page when I am reading in otherwise complete darkness.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience!! And I want to echo the thanks of many others to members like selfbuilt who have done such careful and extensive reviews of lights here on the Forum.

John

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

I need some feedback from actual users about the 80° "spill beam" angle combined with the 11° hot spot on the new H-51 ZebraLight headlamps.

I have used 3 H-50's since they first came out all over the world, in some very demanding situations doing medical volunteering in the jungles of Africa, Central and South America, among others. They are reliable and the floody 120° angle is very useful in lots of situations, tho certainly not all [so I do carry other lights as well.]

I am contemplating purchasing an H-51 to have more available light, and wondered if some actual users have tried reading in bed with the H-51's 80°-11° angle combination? Does the 11° fully and evenly cover the open pages of a book when you are reading? I really don't like a strong or even noticeable hot spot on the page when I am reading in otherwise complete darkness.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience!! And I want to echo the thanks of many others to members like selfbuilt who have done such careful and extensive reviews of lights here on the Forum.

John

i use my H60w while reading to avoid stress on my eyes,i have just received the H51 and tested it while reading,with H51 the best level to read a book is on the medium mode (M2 which is on 8lumens),but overall performance (for reading ) i still prefer the H60w ( 80 degree flood beam, with no hotspot) YMMV

ZebraLight

Enlightened

That is excellent news regarding the addition of the strobe output. Can you tell us what nominal output level (lumen) the strobe is at? Is it run at/near max, or 140 or ?

Thanks and regards!

ZebraLight

Enlightened

John

Wait for 2-3 weeks for the H51F.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened

Wait for 2-3 weeks for the H51F.

Thanks very much for the advice. After using them A LOT, I am a big fan of ZebraLights. I just do not want to order the wrong tool.

John

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received my H51 on the 10/22/10 so i thought there is no strobe after using it for 2 days now but after reading this i tried mine and it has that 4Hz strobe YESSSSSS!! I have got the latest H51 with the updated driver circuit lovecpf

Good deal! You might the first person to get the H51 V2.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened

I had a shipping confirmation today from Zebralight. Can't wait to receive the beast !

g.p.

Enlightened

Just put my order in for one of these last night. I noticed in the review that you used 14500 batteries for some of the tests. Zebralight's website says that they are unsupported though, and that the max input voltage is 2.5v. Was the prototype used in the review special, or will I be able to safely use 14500's? Looking at the graphs there probably won't be much gain to using 14500's, but it would be nice to know if it's safe to do or not.

Thanks!

pae77

Enlightened

If the max input voltage is 2.5V, then I don't see how it can be safe (for the light) to use batteries with a nominal voltage of 3.7V, regardless of whether it works in the short term. If nothing else, it probably voids the warranty. Plus, as you noted, there doesn't appear to be much, if anything, to gain by using 14500's with this light that has been optimized for NiMH.

g.p.

Enlightened

Yeah, I think I'll just stick with AA's since I've get them free at work, and I've got a bunch of Eneloops too.

pae77

Enlightened

Yeah, I think I'll just stick with AA's since I've get them free at work, and I've got a bunch of Eneloops too.
Eneloops would be the best, much better performance than regular Alkaline AA's. And also much less risk of any leakage occurring with Eneloops.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a shipping confirmation today from Zebralight. Can't wait to receive the beast !

People are liking this light. I think you will too.

mellowman

Newly Enlightened

Selfbuilt, If I read the graphs in post #1 right. This light only hits 200 lumens on 14500 bats. On eneloops its 160 lumens on H1 (80% of 200 lumens, assuming 100% relative output is 200 lumens). Is this correct?

srfreddy

Enlightened

Selfbuilt, If I read the graphs in post #1 right. This light only hits 200 lumens on 14500 bats. On eneloops its 160 lumens on H1 (80% of 200 lumens, assuming 100% relative output is 200 lumens). Is this correct?

Its pretty much impossible to have flat regulation when getting 200 lumens.

srfreddy

Enlightened

Any light with an XPG/XML, on one AA.

mellowman

Newly Enlightened

Its pretty much impossible to have flat regulation when getting 200 lumens.

Any light with an XPG/XML, on one AA.

So you're saying there is something funny with the High mode 14500 graph?

Seems there is something funny about calling the SC51 a 200 lumen flashlight on eneloops too.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Written by selfbuilt on 11-02-2010 07:42 AM GMT

g.p. said:
Just put my order in for one of these last night. I noticed in the review that you used 14500 batteries for some of the tests. Zebralight's website says that they are unsupported though, and that the max input voltage is 2.5v. Was the prototype used in the review special, or will I be able to safely use 14500's? Looking at the graphs there probably won't be much gain to using 14500's, but it would be nice to know if it's safe to do or not.
Good question, I don't know. 14500 certainly ran fine on my engineering sample, but they may have changed something on the shipping version. Good question, I don't know. 14500 certainly ran fine on my engineering sample, but they may have changed something on the shipping version. :shrug:

Written by jason978 on 11-06-2010 01:16 PM GMT

so, has anyone been brave enough to try 14500's yet?

Written by SloNicK on 11-10-2010 10:56 AM GMT

No, wait daredevil. ))

Received yesterday a torch. It seems that it shines a little weaker than my SC50 +. Perhaps because the tone a little colder.

Written by LetThereBeLite on 11-12-2010 01:48 AM GMT

ZebraLight said:
The shipping started on last Friday.
Does any dealer have this in stock and for sale now? Does any dealer have this in stock and for sale now?

Written by d.frentzel on 11-12-2010 03:24 AM GMT

Thanxs for the the Review.

regards Dirk

Written by Johnno on 11-12-2010 03:40 PM GMT

Ordered a SC51 from Zebralight's site 4 days ago - my order shipped 3 days ago, right before they went into back-order mode... Hoping it arrives tomorrow. The only thing better than actually owning a light is the anticipation of awaiting its arrival!! :)

Great review by the way - looks like its going to be a fantastic addition to my rather meager collection.

Written by coyote on 11-15-2010 11:03 AM GMT

any news from those who have a new one in hand???????

comments, criticisms, likes/dilsikes????

Written by coyote on 11-15-2010 11:10 AM GMT

LetThereBeLite said:
Does any dealer have this in stock and for sale now?
yes. a buddy just ordered two factory direct (in Texas) and instantly recieved an email that they were shipped. yes. a buddy just ordered two factory direct (in Texas) and instantly recieved an email that they were shipped.

here's the link: Zebralight SC51 $64 with free shipping

Written by Justintoxicated on 11-15-2010 07:00 PM GMT

So how much brighter would this be than a quark AA, or Mini 123?

Written by NightTime on 11-16-2010 07:05 PM GMT

coyote said:
any news from those who have a new one in hand???????

comments, criticisms, likes/dilsikes????
I received mine about a week ago. Great little light. I changed my Preon 1 for the SC51 as my keychain light. What a brightness difference ! Small, powerfull, lightweight and tought. Also I received mine about a week ago. Great little light. I changed my Preon 1 for the SC51 as my keychain light. What a brightness difference ! Small, powerfull, lightweight and tought. Also very well machined. A masterpiece.

The light went on while in my pocket though. I always unscrew the tail cap a bit now. I like the UI (took a few practice sessions), but never found the 100 lumens mode. I've got 2 low, 2 medium, 2 high & the strobe but no << 100 Lm (2.4 hrs) >> mode. Is the 100 lumens for the strobe ? Doesn't look like it.

Anyone found it ?

thx

Written by LetThereBeLite on 11-17-2010 08:02 AM GMT

coyote said:
yes. a buddy just ordered two factory direct (in Texas) and instantly recieved an email that they were shipped.

here's the link: Zebralight SC51 $64 with free shipping
Really strange as the status on their website has consistently been "Availability Really strange as the status on their website has consistently been "Availability: Back Order"

Written by davidt1 on 11-17-2010 08:48 AM GMT

NightTime said:
I received mine about a week ago. Great little light. I changed my Preon 1 for the SC51 as my keychain light. What a brightness difference ! Small, powerfull, lightweight and tought. Also very well machined. A masterpiece.

The light went on while in my pocket though. I always unscrew the tail cap a bit now. I like the UI (took a few practice sessions), but never found the 100 lumens mode. I've got 2 low, 2 medium, 2 high & the strobe but no << 100 Lm (2.4 hrs) >> mode. Is the 100 lumens for the strobe ? Doesn't look like it.

Anyone found it ?

thx
Glad you like it. And glad you brought up the 100lm. I thought that is a another high mode. But after reading the specs closely, I now think that's for the strobe. Glad you like it. And glad you brought up the 100lm. I thought that is a another high mode. But after reading the specs closely, I now think that's for the strobe.

Written by JA(me)S on 11-17-2010 10:36 AM GMT

NightTime said:
Is the 100 lumens for the strobe ? Doesn't look like it.

thx
I do not yet own the SC51 (waiting for neutral). However, ZL's website states the 100 lm is for the 4Hz strobe for 2.4 hrs: I do not yet own the SC51 (waiting for neutral). However, ZL's website states the 100 lm is for the 4Hz strobe for 2.4 hrs:

"High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 140 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 100 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe"

- Jas.

Written by NightTime on 11-17-2010 02:50 PM GMT

Thanks for your point guys. But I'm still not convinced the 100 lumens is for the strobe mode for these reasons.

First, I find the strobe mode fairly bright, but it's hard to tell went it's flashing.

Secondly, following the syntax of the sentence, the "slash" found in << 140 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 100 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe >> suggest to me that we are talking about another mode.

Third, have a look at this statement:

<< The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to different brightness levels or strobes. >> don't know why "strobe" is plural here though.

So if the 100 lumens is for the strobe, we should read:

<< The second sub-level of the High can be further configured to strobe. >>

Anyways, I won't die for that. There are more important things in life. I wouldn't use the 100 lumens mode anyways :rolleyes:. lol

Written by Lite_me on 11-17-2010 04:48 PM GMT

Best I can tell, I have my SC51 configured on high mode for, H1 - 200Lm, (un-adjustable) and H2 for 100Lm. When adjusting the L2 hi setting in the configuration mode, when cycling through the the 3 options, I see the 2 brightness levels and a strobe. If I choose the brighter of the 2 output levels, (140Lm) and save, when testing the light afterwords, there is very little noticeable difference between the 2 Hi outputs. (140Lm & 200Lm) I don't even see a need to offer the 140Lm level if this is working correctly. So I went back into the programing mode and set the H2 setting to the lower of the 2 outputs (100Lm) and now there is a great enough difference to justify the setting.

With the SC51 settings programed like this, the spacing on the 6 different outputs is near perfect. The Lm specs might not indicate this, but the actual output spacings are about as good as it gets I think. HTH and makes sense.

Written by dmn42 on 11-18-2010 10:12 AM GMT

PWM is visible on lowest low ;(

Written by g.p. on 11-19-2010 09:12 AM GMT

I can't notice it.

Written by Lite_me on 11-19-2010 08:10 PM GMT

I can 'see' it. But only if I study the beam on something up-close. In actual use, the output is so low I can't detect it at all. On some of my older lights that have PWM, I sometimes detect it when moving the light around from one object to another. The output on the SC51 on low-low isn't enough for me to see it or the PWM is high enough not to be a problem for me I guess. I rarely use that setting anyways.

Written by iocheretyanny on 11-19-2010 08:15 PM GMT

I really wish this was available with S2 or R5 instead of R4...

Written by leon2245 on 11-21-2010 12:04 AM GMT

Advanced Operation and Configuration

Short click turns on the light to High. Short click again quickly to cycle from High to Medium, and Low.

Press and hold to cycle from Low to High, release to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in.

Double click to toggle and select between the two sub-levels for that main level. Sub-level selections (except the strobe) for the 3 main levels are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.

The second sub-level of the High can be configured after 6 double clicks. Double click (startng with the 7th) to cycle and select different brightness levels or strobes. Short click to turn off the light when finishing configurations. The selections for the second sub-level of the High are memorized after the light is turned off and through battery changes.

So the part in bold just refers to reprogramming the strobe's brightness right? It doesn't mean that unless you double clicked 6+ times while on high, you'd never even see the strobE?

For instance if I double clicked twice to get to high's third sublevel of 100l, that sublevel would be memorized for the next time I turned directly to high, & one double click at that point would take me to strobe? Or before you get anything byeond the one default sublevel for hi, you'd have to do the 6 double clicks to choose from the others & strobes?

I REALLY like the idea of jumping directly to low or hi with the short or long click options, just trying to understand the configuration stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts