Zebralight SC52 Owner's Thread

tonkem

Enlightened
Anyone comment on runtime on Max? I have a sc80 and notice that the max goes away much quicker than the 123 battery. It will still run on high but max is not an available option very quickly. I use eneloop and eneloop xx. Thanks. I also have a h502 and don't see the issue with max like on the sc80. Could be that the sc80 supports two diff voltage ranges?

passive101

Enlightened
Just got mine delivered to Thailand and could not be happier with it! Running it on 14500s. a little bit suspicous about the lowest low. Can it be seen in the dark of the night even?

I think it's more used as a marker or something. It could be helpful if actually needing a very long useful tool, but I don't think the .01 is practical for me in most circumstances I'll be in. I do use the lower setting. I think it is .06 lumens.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's more used as a marker or something. It could be helpful if actually needing a very long useful tool, but I don't think the .01 is practical for me in most circumstances I'll be in. I do use the lower setting. I think it is .06 lumens.

Yeah I might be tempted to leave that mode on at night to see the light more easily before double clicking into the more useable low level.

energythoughts

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine delivered to Thailand and could not be happier with it! Running it on 14500s. a little bit suspicous about the lowest low. Can it be seen in the dark of the night even?

I've tested the lowest .01 Lm mode... your eyes need to be fully adjusted to zero light for a bit.. even then the effective range isn't more than 2 feet to illuminate the surface of something. Even at 2 feet there isn't much detail of what you are trying to see. For a signaling or marker function the range might be a considerable bit more, but I haven't tested that. The .06 mode is perfect for me. It's much lower and more useful to me vs. the lowest ( .1 ) mode on my SC600.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived today, love the extra modes. After checking the lowest mode, I like it better than the .1 lumen that if came programmed as low2.
That's an awesome new feature, I wasn't expecting :thumbsup: now I have some reading to do

cyclesport

Enlightened
Mine arrived today (12% off) from GoingGear. First ZL for me and I'm fairly impressed. Love the UI, although it took me a good 30min to master the selection of the sub-levels. Output is as expected on both 14500's & Eneloops, very good. Beam quality is pretty good with a very slight dark corona between the outer perimeter of the spill and hotspot but nothing too bad. I requested of Andy prior to shp'g to please make sure and pick one for me w/a centered emitter and no to almost no green tint and he happily obliged...the LED is slightly off, but within my tolerable OCD parameters, and the tint is very good *(that kinda slight drab green that passes for almost neutral with U2 binned XM-L's), also easy to live with. Machining and ano is spot on, and less than 48hrs from ordering...to my door, terrific!

All-in-all I'm very happy...all orders should go this smoothly.:twothumbs

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use 0.02 lumens for quick equipment inspections in dark rooms and also tried the 0.003 of my Nitecore IFE2; both work nicely to prevent blinding yourself at night (and not wasting unexposed film sitting a few feet away.) I once used the 0.003 lumens to sneak up on my cousin on a trail, but I couldn't move very fast and had to hold the light very low -0.02 lumens work nicely for a leisurely walk in the dark of night, but still a tiny bit bright when waking up for a bathroom call IMO.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived today (12% off) from GoingGear.

LOL.... guess you couldn't wait cyclesport.

I am one of those following this thread to primarily monitor reported flaws/defects from owners since I want to ultimately buy a neutral version when the kinks are worked out and they become available through online dealers.

So does it blow away the Neutron on an Eneloop?

HighFlyer

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today, the fit and finish is even better than I expected. I love it.

cyclesport

Enlightened
LOL.... guess you couldn't wait cyclesport.

So does it blow away the Neutron on an Eneloop?

Had to rub it in, huh?!:laughing: Yep...I drank the Kool-Aid. As I posted, I was waiting for a neutral SC52, but viewing Energythoughts posted video (and getting an email from GoingGear for 12% off and SC52's in stock), I realized that ZL's cool U2 binned lights were of the warmer variety, ala: EYE 10, D25C, Crelant V series, etc., etc. So yeah...I caved!

It doesn't however, blow away the Neutron 1A on Eneloops or 14500s. To my eye on a white wall or outside at night (tint and beam differences aside), they seem identical comparing each on max output. I simply can't tell which is brighter. Actually with the Neutron's much cooler T6 tint & narrower spill it almost seems brighter, although cooler tints always seem brighter to me. Someone with a light box would have to make a definitive call.

Both lights max output for 1 X AA lights are astounding.

As I said, this is my first ZL and the small size of the light for a AA, sophistication of the UI and value added stuff like over-discharging protection, automatic step down when battery capacity is low, battery capacity indicator & low battery alert are features too few manufacturers incorporate into their designs. At just over $60 this light is really quite a value.

No buyer's remorse on this one!

jayb79

Newly Enlightened
Got mine yesterday and it is very nice although it has a slight green tint. I would prefer a whiter tint but not worth returning. The battery level w/ the 4 flashes is a very nice feature.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
not a good idea using your nail to activate it! eventually your nail will damage the rubber and goodbye waterproof light!

May i suggest holding it up in your hand then activate it using your ring finger or pinky as shown below. (Sorry guys, I dont own the SC52 yet, this is my good ol' Lumintop L1A/L1C EDC thrower.)
img2012121200112.jpg

Thats exactly what I was going to post, as I dont like holding ANY light with the thumb forward, which means you will be holding the light down near your waist. Thats the typical way to hold the older flashlights with sliding switches, but I like holding all lights with my thumb at the rear of the light, so that the light is up around or above my shoulder level. I get much better illumination from above like that than when I hold the light with the beam essentially parallel to the ground illuminating the subject from the side.

The SC52 is a small light, but I have found that I can hold it, my thumb to the rear, and clicking the switch with my pinky finger or my ring finger. Its still short, and I have to make sure my pinky doesnt block the beam, but I have gotten used to it holding it that way. I hold my SC600 the same way, but its longer, so I click it with my ring finger.

I hold all my lights thumb to the rear, with the light at shoulder level or above, regardless of what type of switch it has.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Just got home from the post office with this little gem :D And I have to agree - it IS tiny and it IS a keeper!
Usually I never use clips, but I like this one! It would have been a nice feature though if the clip could be swapped for a lanyard ring attachment point.

What I would have expected, was to get a description of the flashlight. All that was included was a generic instruction of how to change levels and program them.
No information whatsoever about lumens, runtime or any other information that is available on the zebralight site under "Main Features and Specifications".
Have you others received a generic manual or a proper specification as well?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got home from the post office with this little gem :D And I have to agree - it IS tiny and it IS a keeper!
Usually I never use clips, but I like this one! It would have been a nice feature though if the clip could be swapped for a lanyard ring attachment point.

What I would have expected, was to get a description of the flashlight. All that was included was a generic instruction of how to change levels and program them.
No information whatsoever about lumens, runtime or any other information that is available on the zebralight site under "Main Features and Specifications".

Zebralights never come with real manuals. the SC52 is my 4th zebralight, and all of them came with the little 1-page card with basic instructions.

henry1960

Enlightened
Just got home from the post office with this little gem :D

Go to there web site and all information, runtimes ect are posted

jim_r

Newly Enlightened
Well, I couldn't resist it anymore. Snagged one from GG last night.

Font size

Newly Enlightened
lowest low very low (useless ?)
You just have not been some place dark enough, or given your eyes time to adjust to the darkness. Try it somewheres completely dark. My girlfriend acts like 0.01 Lm is a spot light when her Parents come home.