Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

kreisler

Banned
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

we have faith that ZL would produce a good product THAT much that
Mark, thanks god that ZL sell fast and at high prices on the CPFMP. That's the advantage with brand name products (JetBeam, Fenix, EagleTac, 4Sevens), you could still sell it second-hand with no problems. If i tried to sell a used copy of UltraFire or TrustFire or SolarForce .. much harder the task! in any case, i am sorry to hear about the frustration. ( if ZL is reading this thread, they should feel oligated to oblige and make an effort to satisfy the frustrated. )
Indeed! I just received my light yesterday, ordered directly from ZebraLight, and it came with the clip and lanyard ring.
Is the clip reversible? It looks like it!

The major point of reversing the clip would be to carry/wear the torch clipped to a baseball cap (from above or from beneath). Is it incomfortable to use the SC600 as headlamp in such a way? It's maybe a little too weighty for such usage. Please share your personal opinion on it, thanks!

sdr

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

The clip IS reversible, yes! The lanyard mount is stationary. As for wearing this light on a baseball cap...I don't think so? It would definitely be too heavy, IMO.

As I mentioned above, I just got the light yesterday and it's still the honeymoon period for me. My experience to this point is much like the man who jumped from the 79th floor of the highrise building when he was asked "how's it going?" as he passed the 47th floor. His reply was, "So far so good!" Ditto!

Currahee!

cloudz

Newly Enlightened

i may have missed it, but may i know what bin is the sc600 is?is it T6 or U2?

ToyTank

Enlightened

Thanks for another top notch review Selfbuilt.:goodjob:

I like the "MK III" SC600 the lanyard ring looks like it stops it from rolling. I wish there was some demarcation for the submodels. It is great though they "stop the presses" so to speak for improvements or fixes.

I remember when I first saw/bought an H60. I was amazed WOW 190lm for 2 HOURS!!

That was not long ago and wow the tech is moving fast.

I just realized I think I'm a ZL fanboy now:whistle:

Exciting time to be a flashaholic.

cloudz

Newly Enlightened

It's U2 in the standard SC600.Also, :welcome:
thanks bro for the warm welcome and the answer. i asked this because i noticed the writing on your signature...it says sc600 xm-l U2. i thought probably you moded it...i was like 'why would someone moded something that already at it's limit'...*what a noob thinking btw* =pplus i am considering whether to get sc600 or TN12..both are decent light for that size (and for that budget as well)...i've been reading the review over and over again for past few weeks...but then i think i'll get the sc600 instead...

yifu

Enlightened

thanks bro for the warm welcome and the answer. i asked this because i noticed the writing on your signature...it says sc600 xm-l U2. i thought probably you moded it...i was like 'why would someone moded something that already at it's limit'...*what a noob thinking btw* =pplus i am considering whether to get sc600 or TN12..both are decent light for that size (and for that budget as well)...i've been reading the review over and over again for past few weeks...but then i think i'll get the sc600 instead...
Get the SC600 and live without regret!

cloudz

Newly Enlightened

Get the SC600 and live without regret!

will do.

after all i'm leaning towards ZL because of the multiple useable modes of light they offer for various conditions. TN12's mid is only at 95lumens. that's tremendous gap from 705lumens to 95 lumens... =.=''

and the most important one it can tail stand securely, not like tn12 which is some of the review said is wobbly due to the U-shaped tail.

Azlum

Newly Enlightened

I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with this light. It's such a huge over-achiever, it really makes most other LED lights seem disappointing.

My only gripe is the lanyard bump... I hate lanyards, and I hate that the bump for it on the SC600 prevents you from locating the pocket clip perfectly opposite the switch(hope this makes sense). I'm planning to grind the lanyard bump off mine with my dremel. The pocket clip will hide the unfinished area after I'm done.

Oh and thanks for the awesome reviews Selfbuilt! No one does it better!

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very clever thinking Azlum..

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm planning to grind the lanyard bump off mine with my dremel. The pocket clip will hide the unfinished area after I'm done.

You'll probably be grinding off some of the resale value, though -- that is, if for any reason you decide to part with it at some future point via CPF Marketplace or the like. Just putting that out there for consideration.

stickydoorknob

Newly Enlightened

thanks, good review, not sure if i actually need it though still. Impulse buy

sdr

Newly Enlightened

My only gripe is the lanyard bump... I hate lanyards, and I hate that the bump for it on the SC600 prevents you from locating the pocket clip perfectly opposite the switch(hope this makes sense). I'm planning to grind the lanyard bump off mine with my dremel.

Ouch!

I actually find the "bump" to be quite useful. As you will see in the pics below the lanyard that I use on mine, in conjunction with the clip, suits my needs perfectly!

The light and the lanyard...
DSC00025.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

As you can see in the pics above I have placed the clip right next to my 2.75" paracord lanyard.

The SC600 in my cargo pocket...
DSC00011.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

The light rides comfortably in this position, daily. The clip and lanyard are positioned perfectly to allow easy access.

The light secured in my hand...
DSC00016.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

By placing my little finger into the loop of the paracord and then cinching the bead up, the light fits my hand like the proverbial glove. It is also very secure!

Oops! Whew! This light is not going anywhere...
DSC00039.jpg

So you see, I like the bump and I love the SC600!

Last edited:

MikeWilson

Newly Enlightened

My SC600 (standard) is being posted tomorrow :)

Yay. Hopefully it will be a good upgrade from a NiteCore EZAA R5.

yifu

Enlightened

My SC600 (standard) is being posted tomorrow :)

Yay. Hopefully it will be a good upgrade from a NiteCore EZAA R5.
Yep, should be a 8 times upgrade in output and much better runtimes on lower modes. Make sure you use quality cells though, Redilast/AW/Callies' Kustoms or genuine Panasonic/Sanyo/LG OEM 18650s are fine.

Chip

Newly Enlightened

I think this is my next light. I'm just not sure if neutral is best for me. I like the idea of neutral, I understand the pros. But my D10 Tribute R2 is cool blue (i've read on here around 6k color temp) and I love the tint inside and out. I also have a Klarus XT10 and that looks very green to me, even outside. On the zebra light site, for the SC600 XML 750 it says "LED: Cree XM-L Cool White (Norminal CCT 6300K) " and for the SC600 XML Neutral White it says, "LED: Cree XM-L Neutral White (Norminal CCT 4200K)" How is Norminal CCT different from normal color temp? So, if the temp is lower, at 4200k, that would look "cooler" or more "blue" right? Why does this sound backwards to me. I think I want to go for the cool white at 6300k temp, but I've always thought "pure / neutral white" would give me the best color. I just don't want it to look "orange" or yellowish (incandescent) too much.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC600w-XM-L-18650-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_74.html

http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Cree-XM-L-750Lm-Flashlight-18650_p_55.html

Last edited:

js82

Newly Enlightened

I think this is my next light. I'm just not sure if neutral is best for me. I like the idea of neutral, I understand the pros. But my D10 Tribute R2 is cool blue (i've read on here around 6k color temp) and I love the tint inside and out. I also have a Klarus XT10 and that looks very green to me, even outside. On the zebra light site, for the SC600 XML 750 it says "LED: Cree XM-L Cool White (Norminal CCT 6300K) " and for the SC600 XML Neutral White it says, "LED: Cree XM-L Neutral White (Norminal CCT 4200K)" How is Norminal CCT different from normal color temp? So, if the temp is lower, at 4200k, that would look "cooler" or more "blue" right? Why does this sound backwards to me. I think I want to go for the cool white at 6300k temp, but I've always thought "pure / neutral white" would give me the best color. I just don't want it to look "orange" or yellowish (incandescent) too much.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC600w-XM-L-18650-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_74.html

http://www.zebralight.com/SC600-Cree-XM-L-750Lm-Flashlight-18650_p_55.html

It sounds like you think that higher temperatures mean a shift towards red. Higher temperatures actually mean it looks more blue. 4200K will be very slightly yellow in color whereas 6300K will be slightly blue in color.

exim13

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the great review! I am new to this forum and have been looking through tons of posts looking for my first flashlight and I think this is the one. I will probably order one today. Thank you everyone for their input!

ssmyth

Newly Enlightened

SDR where did you get that paracord lanyard ?

Thank you for the pics! more pls :)

Ouch!

I actually find the "bump" to be quite useful. As you will see in the pics below the lanyard that I use on mine, in conjunction with the clip, suits my needs perfectly!

The light and the lanyard...
DSC00025.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

As you can see in the pics above I have placed the clip right next to my 2.75" paracord lanyard.

The SC600 in my cargo pocket...
DSC00011.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

The light rides comfortably in this position, daily. The clip and lanyard are positioned perfectly to allow easy access.

The light secured in my hand...
DSC00016.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

By placing my little finger into the loop of the paracord and then cinching the bead up, the light fits my hand like the proverbial glove. It is also very secure!

Oops! Whew! This light is not going anywhere...
DSC00039.jpg

So you see, I like the bump and I love the SC600!

Chip

Newly Enlightened

It sounds like you think that higher temperatures mean a shift towards red. Higher temperatures actually mean it looks more blue. 4200K will be very slightly yellow in color whereas 6300K will be slightly blue in color.

Okay, thanks.