Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 (XM-L2, 1x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

moozooh

Enlightened
ZL opened a new assembly line in the US (in late 2012 or early 2013, don't remember exactly), and they'd said at least once that items ordered by customers from the US (or that part of the globe in general) would be delivered from that assembly line. I've no idea what happened to their Chinese line, but it's probably still operational as well, serving Australasian and European customers.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL opened a new assembly line in the US (in late 2012 or early 2013, don't remember exactly), and they'd said at least once that items ordered by customers from the US (or that part of the globe in general) would be delivered from that assembly line. I've no idea what happened to their Chinese line, but it's probably still operational as well, serving Australasian and European customers.

Thanks Moozooh.

So maybe they are not touting the Made In USA claim because some are still assembled in China and the Zebralight website is international? No one sees any indication on their new SC600's regarding "Made in ......" either on the light or the box?

ChessFan

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review, as always selfbuilt! :thumbsup:
Initially I was out for the SC600w MkII L2, but as I already have the Fenix PD32 UE as a NW light, I went for the MkII 900 lumen version when it was on sale for 69 USD on the Zebralight site a couple of weeks ago.
I would really be curious if somebody could measure the output of the xm-l version of the MkII, compared to the MKI and this new xm-l2 version. There is no "real" review of the xm-l MKII to be found, though there are lots of video reviews on youtube.
The PID seems to be a great feature, but I am not really bothered by the timed step-down. I use the max output for short bursts, if needed, as for continuous use I prefer the 270 lumens H2 of the MKII for the great runtime.
I suspect the MKII would fall somewhere between the 780 lumens of the MKI and the 1000 lumens of the MKII L2 (referring to selfbuilt's great and valuable comparison tables... :)), but it would be interesting to know exactly!
Selfbuilt, I suppose you don't own the SC600 MKII I am referring to? :D

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
In your excellent review you mentioned that ZL is sourcing their aluminum and anodizing in the USA. Are the L2 SC600's being assembled in the US? Do you know if the upcoming SC62 will be assembled stateside?
Sorry, everything I know is specific to the SC600 Mk II, and is mentioned in the review.

Selfbuilt, I suppose you don't own the SC600 MKII I am referring to? :D
'Fraid not.

ChessFan

Newly Enlightened
No problem! :)
It was just my (sometimes) obsessively inclined mind that made my curiosity manifest itself. :eek:
The MKII (xm-l) is still a great light with the same form factor as the xm-l2 version, even if a bit less bright, I am still very happy with it!

SYKO

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, but my outdoor location was picked for throw, and doesn't really suit standard output floodier lights well. As you can imagine, it's hard to find a single location and camera settings what work well across such a wide range of light.

If it's any consolation, I just finished doing a bunch of outdoor shots for some high output/throwy lights, and those will be coming out in my upcoming reviews over the next month. :whistle:

Man, I can't keep buying lights every time something cool comes along. That's one reason I stayed away from this place for a good while. I would like a thrower but is this light so floody that it's totally useless for throw like in your backyard? I think where I'm at a wider beam is more practical,but feel like I'll be missing out on throw. Maybe it's a bigger problem when you are outdoors and you want more throw.

This should be a good light for everyday urban use right? If you headed out to the jungle/woods with this light or a thrower,which would you choose? I'm sure the SC600 so you can see all the snakes that are about to drop on your head huh? (I have no intention on trekking through any jungle or forest):D

Is there a Zebralight thrower coming? Curse you internet for making me buy stuff I can't afford.:whistle:

oeL

Newly Enlightened
If you headed out to the jungle/woods with this light or a thrower,which would you choose? I'm sure the SC600 so you can see all the snakes that are about to drop on your head huh? (I have no intention on trekking through any jungle or forest):D

I'm often out in the forest at night. To find my way, I'm using a SC600w or something similar. And when something interesting shows up - an owl or a boar, for example - I grap my Armytec Predator to have a better look :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I would like a thrower but is this light so floody that it's totally useless for throw like in your backyard? I think where I'm at a wider beam is more practical,but feel like I'll be missing out on throw. Maybe it's a bigger problem when you are outdoors and you want more throw. This should be a good light for everyday urban use right?
For a backyard, I think any of the modern 1x18650 lights provides MORE than enough output to light everything up pretty well (unless your backyard is a farm!).

Personally, for everyday use, I would think this beam pattern is very good. My personal preference though has always been a thrower light with flip-top diffuser - that way I get the best of both worlds in one. But the SC600-II is an excellent general choice.

If you headed out to the jungle/woods with this light or a thrower,which would you choose? I'm sure the SC600 so you can see all the snakes that are about to drop on your head huh? (I have no intention on trekking through any jungle or forest):
I've actually done this a couple of times (as I described back in 2007 in this thread). Basically, both flood and throw are very useful in the jungle, depending on the terrain. Flood is the most helpful around your immediate campsite/cabin. But for looking off over distances, a pocket thrower is helpful.

But the simple fact is that it is hard to see much of anything in dense folliage. And even in more open areas, a low power thrower is actually better than a high power one in those environments (i.e., you will spot citters by eyeshine in low light far easier than picking out camouflaged body patterns in moderate light). In the wild, everything stops to stare at the rube carrying a flashlight ... :whistle:

Last edited:

ChessFan

Newly Enlightened
The MKII (xm-l) is still a great light with the same form factor as the xm-l2 version, even if a bit less bright, I am still very happy with it!

Rereading this part it seems like I would minimize the merits of the SC600 MKII L2, which I consider a worthy upgrade. The PID thermal regulation and the increased output levels/efficiency are clear improvements.
I apologize if I went a bit off topic with my previous remarks.

funkychateau

Enlightened
Hi,

I notice that your output vs runtime charts only compare this light to the original SC600 rather than the SC600-II, which it replaces. Did you also review the SC600-II? How does the output vs time compare? I'm sure the improvement is less - is it still significant?

thanks!

moozooh

Enlightened
selfbuilt has said on the previous page that he doesn't own an SC600 mkII (L1). I don't even think anybody here has tested it at all? The model became obsolete in like 3 months.

ChessFan

Newly Enlightened
selfbuilt has said on the previous page that he doesn't own an SC600 mkII (L1). I don't even think anybody here has tested it at all? The model became obsolete in like 3 months.

I have to agree with you, but it still is an excellent buy for the money when discounted.
My curiosity regarding the comparative output of the xm-l MKII has been declared as I neither have the equipment nor the expertise to measure it myself.
The latest version is definitely a great 18650 light. :)
I begin to feel like...:dedhorse:...so I'll stop.
No offense intended.

Last edited:

burnct

Newly Enlightened
I just want to say thank you. Your review and thorough detail is top notch. Also the video was very clear and we'll spoken. I must say you sold me on an excellent 18650 upgrade.

bodhran

Enlightened
I've had mine for three days now. How soon you get it probably depends on when and where you placed your order. Hang in there...it's worth it.

funkychateau

Enlightened

The SC600 II obsoleted the original SC600, and possibly captures most of the improvements found in this three-version evolution. The SC600 II is also the model being currently clearanced for about $63, to make way for the L2. I recently bought two of the SC600 II versions, for myself and a friend, and mine is my favorite light by far. Two co-workers bought them as well, after seeing mine.

The SC600 II and the SC600 L2 appear to share the same reduced-size housing, and perhaps differ only in the emitter and a tweak in the electronics. Hard to decide whether it's worth paying an extra $32 to try the L2 as well, so that's why I'd like to see a side-by-side. If someone in the Dallas area gets an L2 and contacts me, we can post some side-by-side beamshots to see how much more is gained by the newer emitter.

Contact me by PM or email.

thanks!

Last edited:

Enlightened
They need to make this thing in XM-L2 5000K daylight version like they do with the Luxeon 5000K models.