ZebraLight SC600 MkII

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: ZebraLight SC600 MkII *with PICS*

Zebralight freely acknowledges this...as well as pointing out the with the L2 version, the runtime and brightness both greatly depend on ambient temperature/cooling. I was actually impressed with how forthcoming they were, in comparison to other claims I have seen, which give out close to zero actual information.

It is precisely because of the PID that those runtime claims might be accurate (under ANSI rules), when accounting for stepdown. I know the Mk II (non-L2) could handle 500 lumens in pretty much any conditions without overheating. It may be that after the first few minutes, H1 and H2 are pretty similar in output, and therefore the runtime difference between the two modes is not great. Just supposition, haven't had the opportunity to test it yet. But it isn't implausible, given the ANSI rules. Whether or not those rules make sense is another matter...

LOL

No, the ANSI rules do not make sense, other than as a biased party inclusion during development.

:D

EsthetiX

Enlightened

I will bet any amount that neither puts out 2 HOURS of 1,000 lumen output. It will step down or whatever you want to cal it or over heat or the cell won't be able to maintain the draw rate, etc.

IE: If 670 or 620 L runs for 2.5 hrs, why would 1,100 or 1,000 L run 2 hrs?

I use use it as a bike light. It never steps down.

Peace Train

Enlightened

smileys-cycling-617699.gif

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I use use it as a bike light. It never steps down.

Lol

You never NOTICED that it stepped down.

It IS hard to notice though. ...as it's incremental - so don't feel bad.

:D

markr6

Flashaholic

I decided to test some of the 2000mAh cells I pulled out of an old laptop pack. They are from a laptop used fairly often for about 5 years. Total age of the laptop/cells are probably 7 years.

I charged the cell to 4.19v (max on my WP2II) and ran it in my SC600wII L2 on H2/620lm. It lasted about 1 hour at that level (PID was dimming it though) and another 15 minutes or so on one of the medium levels. After this, it would turn on for only 1 second, on any mode, then turn off. I measured the voltage at 2.53v. Zebralight states a 2.7v cutoff though. I wonder if it actually was closer to 2.7v if I let it rest for a minute? I measured the 2.53v within 2 minutes of removing the battery.

BWX

Enlightened

Well Olight 3400mAh don't fit in my MK1 B. About 0.1 mm too fat.

Nothing a rat tail file can't fix.

All my batts are kind of tight, guess it won't hurt to open it up a little.

Funny thing is that Eagletac 3400mAh batts fit fine. I thought they were the same Panasonic cells.

BWX

Enlightened

On the light or the battery?

On the inside of the light. Just needs a few tenths of a mm really. Not sure what a file would do to a plastic covered battery but I'm pretty sure it would wreck it. LOL

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure what a file would do to a plastic covered battery but I'm pretty sure it would wreck it. LOL

You could remove the plastic wrap, but I think you'd then have a cathode that covers not just the end of the cell but also the outside body of the cell. You'd have to be careful that the inside wall of the flashlight wouldn't create a short. Not worth the risk, IMO.

BWX

Enlightened

You could remove the plastic wrap, but I think you'd then have a cathode that covers not just the end of the cell but also the outside body of the cell. You'd have to be careful that the inside wall of the flashlight wouldn't create a short. Not worth the risk, IMO.

Yeah I don't want to mess up nice new batteries. I'll just gently message the inner walls of the SC600 with a file until the batts fit.. (That sounded dirty, LOL)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just wanted to post that after a year of going back and forth on buy a SC600w MKII that I purchased one on CPFMP and it is definitely one of the best production lights I own. The quality is great. The tint is great. The beam is great. The UI has a few quirks, but it is still very flexible and offers a great variety of available levels.

I am using a Keepower 3400 Protected cell with it with no fitment problems.

You get a lot of light for your money with this one.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad your liking it shine on, curious what the quirks you refer to are. Is it just the UI in general?

Other people have mentioned the issues so I don't want to sound repetitive so I'll just outline the ones I notice. They are really just limitations of a single button interface where you can either do A or B but not both.

• No direct access to high while on. I like that feature in the HDS lights.
  • Going to medium from off there is no way to avoid a bright flash with the double click.

That's really about it. Now that I've had the light a few days I would say that this light could be one of the best jacket season EDCs. A little too bulky for regular daily EDC, but it fits into a jacket pocket and you'd forget its there. I saw a thread comparing the SC600 to a EagleTac G25C2. I would say the SC600 does put out more lumens, but the throw still goes to the G25C2. But for most (non-tactical) situations the trade off in size may not be worth the throw.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast

Isn't press and release direct access to high? Pressing and holding until the light ramps from low to medium avoids the bright flash.

markr6

Flashaholic

Isn't press and release direct access to high? Pressing and holding until the light ramps from low to medium avoids the bright flash.

You can do that, but I'm too impatient to wait. I usually just double click really fast to get to medium.

Still loving this light after...I don't remember, maybe a year? I thought my SC62w would replace it or come close to it, but it didn't. The SC62w will definitely get used more just because it's easier to carry, but both definite keepers.

fnj

Enlightened

From off, yes. From ON? I don't know, I'll have to test it out.

Don't have to test. Press and hold always goes to progressively higher settings from the starting point, repeatedly, wrapping back to low after high.

If you start from off, the ramp always starts from low, but if you start when on, it starts from whatever setting you are in to begin with.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would then prove what I am saying that there is no quick access to high while the light is on. The quickest option I can think of is a click to turn it of with a pause and then a click to turn it back on high - this is faster than holding through low and medium.

markr6

Flashaholic

Don't have to test. Press and hold always goes to progressively higher settings from the starting point, repeatedly, wrapping back to low after high.

If you start from off, the ramp always starts from low, but if you start when on, it starts from whatever setting you are in to begin with.

None of my Zebralights go higher from the starting point. Rather, they go back to low then up thru the cycle. Click and hold from Medium = back to L>M>H