ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

burntoshine

Enlightened
...well i placed an order for a second sc600w; this time through illumination gear, and it shipped today! i was going to cancel my order with zebralight once the illumination gear order shipped, but then i decided it would be great to have two of them. plus i'm curious as to what i'm going to get from ZL as compared to IG (as in.. fixed bug? more hidden modes? good neutral tint?). and i prefer having two of certain things. it looks like i'll be selling a couple lights to try to make up the difference.

tony613

Newly Enlightened
With respect to ordering new products from dealers versus manufacturers, last Saturday, 11/28, I ordered the just released ZL H600 from a well known and seemingly respected dealer, to this forum at least. I received an instant order confirmation but as of today, 12/2, I still had not received a shipping confirmation. After contacting the dealer, I was informed with a polite apology that they "missed my order". Now unfortunately the dealer is sold out.

I just wanted to add another data point saying that stuff happens and those of us desiring leading edge products are going to experience associated issues, like short supply and "Rev 1.0" anomalies. I just gotta shrug my shoulders and roll with it because to me, it's part of the price for "Livin' on the edge". Although somehow I don't think Aerosmith and Steven Tyler had flashlights in mind when they conceived that song.

energythoughts

Newly Enlightened
If you have both would mind comparing outside and see if you can really see a difference in output, I'm most interested to see if the 100lmn difference hurts the throw because even though the SC600 isn't designed as a thrower the sheer amount of lumens pushes the beam out there a good ways, about 140m for me. I would be willing to sacrifice 10-15m but not 20m+.

I made a quick video comparing the two versions outside. http://youtu.be/9CiXvohCYHw?hd=1

You can definitely tell the drop in output on the SC600w vs. the SC600, but it's not drastic.. I'd say well within your 10-15m goal.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Great video man, starting at 2:15, thats exactly how my 600 and 600W tints compare, good stuff. :)

Guys, I just spent thrity minutes clicking, pressing, holding, pulling battery, reinserting, then click click clicking. Nothing. :eek:

My theory: The Guy at ZL knew there was a chance that his reply to the customers EM would get posted at CPF. So in his response to the "Non Stepdown SC600W" he threw in the "and hidden features". I'm convinced, no hidden features. I woulda found them. :D

Weve been had. :laughing:

Glock27

Enlightened
You obviously weren't holding your mouth right whilst double clicking! :nana:
That warm tint looks just like the tint of my SC60w's.

G27

energythoughts

Newly Enlightened
Great video man, starting at 2:15, thats exactly how my 600 and 600W tints compare, good stuff. :)

Guys, I just spent thrity minutes clicking, pressing, holding, pulling battery, reinserting, then click click clicking. Nothing. :eek:

My theory: The Guy at ZL knew there was a chance that his reply to the customers EM would get posted at CPF. So in his response to the "Non Stepdown SC600W" he threw in the "and hidden features". I'm convinced, no hidden features. I woulda found them. :D

Thanks! I just wish the youtube upload process didn't kill the details.. I see much more of the swing-set for example in my original video out of the camera.. seems like the dynamic range is lost after the video gets uploaded. Viewing it in HD helps a bit.. but not perfect.

I have one of the non-step down versions as well.. and I know what you mean.. I tried every possible combination I could think of to find these "hidden" secrets... no luck :(

euthymic

Newly Enlightened
Why did I bother to "preorder" the light when they are shipping lights out to vendors and the vendors have them in stock while I sit here on my thumb? Seems messed up to me.

I agree 100%. Ordered a light on the 12th, just sitting here waiting for the order to move past processing while folks that ordered from dealers a day or two ago have already gotten shipping confirmation (not to mention a CPF discount). That's bad customer service in my book and while I've waited this long for the 600w and probably won't cancel, I certainly won't be "pre" ordering from them again as there appears to be nothing "pre" about it. :mad:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't read too much into the "hidden features" comment by ZL.

They specifically say "we did not enable the stepdown feature". They've never told anyone how to enable it themselves using the UI - everyone so far has just received an RMA number.

If they consider stepdown a feature (aka: a flag in the firmware that never got flipped) then when they say "hidden features" they're probably talking about just that: more flags in the firmware that never got flipped.

Now if they told people "Oh you know what, RMA'ing it is expensive and time-consuming, please enable it yourself by clicking 550x" then I would be hopeful of enabling other firmware flags in a similar manner. But an RMA to flip a firmware bit? Yeah, doubtful there's anything we can toggle ourselves.

pblanch

Enlightened
oooooooo extra features if you click 550x

clicking now will get back to you later.

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened

+1. Completely agree.:p

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
You obviously weren't holding your mouth right whilst double clicking! :nana:
That warm tint looks just like the tint of my SC60w's.

G27
That's not quite the case with my samples. My brother and I each have SC60w's and SC600w's. In comparison, both 600's are noticeably warmer than the 60's. (but not in a bad way) Both our SC60w's are the best tinted lights we own... at least as far as we're concerned. Even better than our SC51w's. Not sure why, but could be the higher output & voltage. I like the new 600w, for what it does, but the 60w is still my favorite. It's darn near perfect in a... size, output, tint, runtime combo. I like the switch better too. I need a couple more of those, I think. :)

kwak

Enlightened
Kind of a double-edged sword, though: collectible in a certain sense but sort of a danger to themselves. I wonder how long one could be left in Turbo mode in normal ambient temperature environments before doing permanent damage or significantly shortening the nominal lifetime of the light? Or if Owner A sold one to New Owner B, how much Turbo runtime experimentation might Owner A have put it through before selling to New Owner B? And questions of replacement or warranty service come up if kept and not returned to ZebraLight for eventual replacement. What might be the ZL options for current owners be? Fortunately, this seems to involve only a small set of units or it could be a potential mess for those left in circulation. It's an interesting situation.

Thing is though, like i said before even IF the timer is working it is no fail safe.
If you turn the torch off and back on again it goes to another 5 mins on turbo.

So in reality it makes very little difference.

If it was the H600 i would be seriously concerned as this torch does get extremely hot on turbo.
My experiences with the SC600 when hiking though is although it does get hot on turbo, mine has never got hot enough to burn skin even after repeated turbo resets.

If our torches had a thermal shut down via a sensor and this was found faulty i'd agree 100%.
But as it is a timer is a very cheap and cheerful solution even IF it's working 100%.

It would not put me off buying one, even though my 10 year olds regularly use our lights.
Even at 10 they have enough common sense to know that a small torch with such a bright emitter is going to generate heat, so they're careful.

I do think that it's absolutely disgusting the way ZL have and are treating people that have pre-ordered though.
If they are sending out supplies to shops, then these shops are offering a discount plus free shipping there is absolutely no point in pre-ordering.

As i've shown with my experiences all you end up with is a beta version with problems that ZL are not willing to do anything about.
Even after ZL having your money for a month (or more in my care), not releasing on the date they set, PLUS if the shops are offering discount as said you get your light sooner AND cheaper.

Cheers
Mark

Leoht

Flashaholic from Mars
I wonder whether the hidden feature is the PID based regulation that Zebralight are planing to use in the S6330.

DWood

Newly Enlightened
Like many, I "preordered" on 11/17/11. ZL says my order is still processing. I am tempted to cancel but would like to know if anyone who used PayPal cancelled and received their funds back? Don't want to cancel and have trouble with a refund.

PS I read about a CPF discount from illuminationgear. Is there a discount code?

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered a SC600 torch from Hong Kong- seller says it is the latest version but no 600w available as yet.

Mohan

burntoshine

Enlightened
Like many, I "preordered" on 11/17/11. ZL says my order is still processing. I am tempted to cancel but would like to know if anyone who used PayPal cancelled and received their funds back? Don't want to cancel and have trouble with a refund.

PS I read about a CPF discount from illuminationgear. Is there a discount code?

on the deals page it says to PM lebox97 for the discount information

..if you click the above link and scroll down to "illumination gear", there's a link "lebox97"; click that and it will start a PM to that person

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.