ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.p.

Enlightened
Other than the first batch, has there even been any reports of any 18650's not fitting? :confused:

flame2000

Enlightened
I was on the impression that only the first batch was affected with some 18650 not fitting. The later batch should not have this additional "boring" to enlarge the tube diameter. Why not take the pic and send it to Zebralight to clarify? :confused:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel, both of my SC600 looks just like your's. I think they are alright and should not cause any concerns. Zebralight probably did some boring on the body when many could not fit their 18650 inside. That could be the cause of the anodizing not being present in there.

Thanks for your reassurance. Naturally, I thought they'd start boring it bigger with the new "unprocessed" tubes, never occurred to me they would bore the finished products and scraping the ano off....

Even so, that shows they have some thick anodizing (in the first place), isn't it?

Other than the first batch, has there even been any reports of any 18650's not fitting? :confused:

My thickest and longest 18650 is Redilast 2900mAh. It fits beautifully.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Zeruel

Well, it's just a guess on my part. Don't even know if it is supposed to be anodized on the inside. The whitish stain mark looks like the leftover of the fluid from the boring when the body was left lying down.

Lighteous

Enlightened
Thanks for your reassurance. Naturally, I thought they'd start boring it bigger with the new "unprocessed" tubes, never occurred to me they would bore the finished products and scraping the ano off....

Even so, that shows they have some thick anodizing (in the first place), isn't it?

My thickest and longest 18650 is Redilast 2900mAh. It fits beautifully.

The inside of my SC600 looks just like yours. I too think that it is nothing to be concerned with.

silverglow

Newly Enlightened
Mine is from the first batch I guess, and it is perfectly anodized inside, just like my other four Zebralights. On each of them there's only a very slight, uneven round scratch around the inner circumference to be seen on the upper part near the thread. Besides the scratches, in some areas of the inside surface there is some very thin, white residue. Maybe the scratches were caused by some kind of holder during the anodizing process (I wonder if the workpiece must be held in contact anywhere during that process). I'm very glad mine doesn't have such stains/sanding marks, even if they can't be seen normally, because such flaws somehow make me doubt the carefulness with which the whole light was produced. So far I have liked my Zebralights especially for their flawless anodization. It would be hard to understand if that had changed now.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
The inside of my SC600 looks just like yours. I too think that it is nothing to be concerned with.

+1, just got mine today and I have the same white mark inside however it doesn't effect anything, my sample also has a nicely lubed o ring. I can't get over the amount of lumens per size as this thing is tiny (for an 18650 that is)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some parts of the anodizing are missing on the inner side of the body tube, revealing the bare alu underneath? Do you have a similar.... "feature"? And did I mention some deep scratches within too?

Mine has that, too...although not quite as severe looking as the one you show. Mine has a rather large swatch of discoloration, though -- and a few light scratches on the interior as well. I actually tried carefully to see if I could use a bit of metal polish on a Q-tip to remove the discoloration (not being sure what it was) but without success.

taichicali

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I realized a couple of months ago that I am fascinated with flashlights! Naturally I found this website and have recently received my first real flashlight in the sc600. What a difference from those old school flashlights that had 1/10th the power with 10 times the weight! Unbelievably cool.

Anyway, was hoping some of the experts could help me with a couple of questions regarding batteries for this bad boy.

I purchased two of the surefire batteries along with the charger to go with this flashlight.

first question, is can I leave the batteries in the charger beyond their full charging time, or do I need to remove the batteries as soon as the light turns green to extend the longevity of the battery?

Question two is when not using the flashlight, if I leave the battery in the flashlight, will it drain the battery? If so, at what rate? Should I just store the battery separately when not in use?

Thanks!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I realized a couple of months ago that I am fascinated with flashlights! Naturally I found this website and have recently received my first real flashlight in the sc600. What a difference from those old school flashlights that had 1/10th the power with 10 times the weight! Unbelievably cool.

Anyway, was hoping some of the experts could help me with a couple of questions regarding batteries for this bad boy.

I purchased two of the surefire batteries along with the charger to go with this flashlight.

first question, is can I leave the batteries in the charger beyond their full charging time, or do I need to remove the batteries as soon as the light turns green to extend the longevity of the battery?

Question two is when not using the flashlight, if I leave the battery in the flashlight, will it drain the battery? If so, at what rate? Should I just store the battery separately when not in use?

Thanks!

Timeout, you purchased two Surefire batterys to charge? Hopefully you meant Ultrafire or Trustfire because Surefire 123's are not rechargeable and second the SC600 is not made for CR123's.

Next it depends on the charger if you should really worry about over charge, if you have the Ultrafire 139 charger it's best to take the battery's out, it is really best to always take them out but with some chargers are not as good as others.

Lastly the SC600 has a electronic switch so in time it will drain the battery but we are talking a very long time, it is called parasitic drain and Zebralight says it would take 6yrs to drain a 18650 so I don't worry about it.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Taichicali,

It would benefit you greatly if you could spend some time to research on batteries before you start playing with your lights. Failure to do so could result in massive catastrophe both to the light and to yourself. Lithium and Li-Ion batteries are no joke. They are very volatile and needs professional knowledge and usage. If you had really bought Surefire batteries, they are primary non rechargeable batteries.

BBL

Enlightened

Under the asumtpion you didnt buy the second cell as a spare: Neither lithium primaries, nor lithium-ion cells are suitable as a pair for the sc600. It is strictly a single li-ion light made for 18650 cells.

Just a few words of advice that came to mind:
Many flashlights (like the sc600) are strong, airtight metal containers. If somehow pressure develops internally, they fail violently. Happens very rarely, but happens. Usuall in conjunction with mistreated cells.
18650 cells are not consumer cells. They were oem products initially. Handling and using them required much more knowledge than the usual AA/ni-mh cells. Please make sure you know the li-ion basics - voltage ranges, acceptable current ranges, dangers, etc.

DM51

Flashaholic
@ taichicali... What the other guys have said ^. Please be careful.

These lithium cells are NOT toys you can fool around with, and if not treated properly they can explode with considerable violence.

uknewbie

Banned
Why do I keep reading on here that 18650 cells are not consumer cells?

They are.

One can buy them readily from a multitude of sellers aimed specifically at end users.

BBL

Enlightened
They are.
One can buy them readily from a multitude of sellers aimed specifically at end users.
Then name a few consumer-products that accept 18650 cells.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are.

Then name a few consumer-products that accept 18650 cells.

I noticed that DX is selling a 720P 1.3M Pixel Pin-hole Spy AV Camera disguised as a 2.5" LCD alarm clock that runs on a single 18650. (sku 72552) Perhaps we will start seeing more products that run on 18650s other than flashlights, laser pointers and pot vaporizers.

taichicali

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
thanks for the words of caution. I did mistype, I purchased trustfire, not surefire batteries. I purchased the Trustfire 2500 mAh 18650 Protected Lithium Rechargeable Battery and the Trustfire TR-001 Lithium Battery Charger.
I do take safety seriously, and know that this stuff can be dangerous, so I appreciate the gravity you all bring to the situation. What are the basic safety procedures should I adhere to? I plugged the charger in last night and popped both batteries in and I could actually hear a very quiet almost trickling/buzzing noise of the batteries charging. I wasn't sure if that was normal, so I left them plugged in in the kitchen where I was cooking for a party and I could keep a close eye on them and keep them away from any of the kids. Are these something that I should only charge where I can keep an eye on them? Also, the charger I have does not seem to have any way to adjust the voltage or anything like that, so it seemed like a simple plug and charge device. I did confirm with someone at goinggear that these batteries work with the sc600 prior to buying and using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.