ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info Samgab! Thanks for taking the time to get the readings.

Yeah, no worries, I compared some Cree XM-L U2 figures for interest:

AVFWLMLM/W

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
Thanks samgab! Very detailed.

I tested mine and I believe my H2 is pulling 1.89A IIRC; I'll check it again. If I'm not mistaking, on a fresh cell my "off" current was ~40µA but I'll check that again too.

I sent ZL a message and they have issued me an RMA# so I'm torn between sending the light back or keeping this one. As long as I know I'm getting "turbo" from the light, I'm not sure if I care about the step down feature since running the light for around 8min, mine is still not so hot to handle. I certainly would not mind access to the 430lm mode tho...oddly double clicking from turbo/H1 doesn't step back as much as I would think going from 645lm to 285lm. Going off Cree's chart T5 bin at ~1.9A would be around 600lm, with losses I'd assume the 430lm would be reasonable so maybe I am getting the 430lm mode after all. I plan on checking all the modes tonight to see how they compare to yours.

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
Okay, couldn't wait and did some testing at lunch time.

Set my Astron to 3.70V
All voltage and currents tested with Fluke 189

Turbo - 645lm - 2.78A
H1 - 420lm - 2.16A
H2 - 284lm - 1.92A
H3 - 172lm - 0.603A (603mA)

M1 - 56lm - 0.133A (133mA)
M2 - 18lm - 0.056A (56mA)

L1 - 2.4lm - 0.0094A (9.4mA)
L2 - 0.09lm - 0.0017 (1.7mA)

I added the mfg. stated lumens to avoid confusion of what I labeled L1, L2. etc.

uplite

Enlightened
Just one more question for you if I may; have you ever carried a spare battery? What's the safest way to manage it?
Yes. I find that a ziploc baggie is usually sufficient insulation. I wouldn't throw it into a box of nails though. ;)

Uplite, have you got any experience with the new Panasonic 3100mah 18650s?
Not yet. Where did you buy yours? And, are you sure they are OEM Panasonic cells, with printed manufacturer codes to confirm the source?

I'm no expert but I doubt you would see a difference in durability between a quality 3100mah cell and a quality 2600mah cell, the way they are used in flashlights.
Actually...these little flashlights are one of the tougher consumer environments for a li-ion cell. In particular, they get dropped on the ground, thrown into gloveboxes or toolboxes, etc. That kind of physical shock can cause a thinner separator to fail, when a thicker separator survives.

The 2900 and the 3100 are exactly the same size... They use the same can:
https://industrial.panasonic.com/eu/news/nr201005IE002/nr201005IE002/Press_Release_Li-Ion_NNP_E.pdf .
As for how they get the extra mAh's out of the new 2900 and 3100's have a read of the info here:
http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf2/ACI4000/ACI4000CE17.pdf
Thanks for confirming what I posted earlier.

The Panasonic 2900 and 3100 use the same chemistry, LiNiO2 (incidentally this not a new chemistry; it is just "rediscovered" by Panasonic mostly for electric vehicle applications). The 2900 and 3100 cells have the same dimensions. The 3100 weighs slightly more than the 2900. So the only difference appears to be the thickness of the separator, which is very relevant to reliability.

The higher capacity cells should be fine for fixed installations (e.g. solar arrays or electric vehicles). Lower capacity cells are more durable & reliable for rough usage (e.g. handheld flashlights).

Same as it ever was.

:)
-Jeff

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update. Zebralight offered an exchange for both my SC600w to the step-down ones. Received both replacements two days ago and did a test on both. Using my iphone timer to time, they both step down at exactly 5 mins mark. Light never run hot at all. It did get pretty warm, but nowhere in the hot range. After stepping down it cooled down pretty fast and maintained in a consistent warm temperature which is still comfortable for handholding.

kwak

Enlightened
Uplite, have you got any experience with the new Panasonic 3100mah 18650s?
I bought 2 to try out in my SC600 and so far they are absolutely fantastic. Only drawback is that they are unprotected, but the SC600 has built in protection already

Another one using these cells.
They're great cells that offer great VFM, only downside is they do not operate in my 1st generation SC600 without a magnet on the tip.

They do operate perfectly well in my H600 oddly enough though.

Actually...these little flashlights are one of the tougher consumer environments for a li-ion cell. In particular, they get dropped on the ground, thrown into gloveboxes or toolboxes, etc. That kind of physical shock can cause a thinner separator to fail, when a thicker separator survives.

I'm guessing you have never seen a radio controlled aircraft or car in operation then :whistle:

It is actually extremely difficult to cause the membrane to fail, in the 10 years or so i've been using lithium based cells, the only times i have witnessed this failure are when a device has pulled too much current out of a cell (causing it to swell), a crash physically piercing the cells and when a charger has failed overcharging the cells.

Obviously this is not a apples to apples comparison as the cells are different.
But as long as the cell is physically protected (as when installed in a SC600) it would be extremely difficult to the point of impossible to have a membrane failure do to shaking or banging, simply because there is not enough movement internally in the cell to create enough momentum to cause it to tear.
It's also an extremely tough membrane (for obvious reasons).

I'm in no doubt Panasonic advise against throwing their cells around, this is just common garden *** covering.
In reality if the cells are discharged within their specs (to avoid failure from heat build up and/or swelling) charged within their specs (as before) and not physically pierced membrane failure is extremely extremely extremely unlikely.

The Panasonic 2900 and 3100 use the same chemistry, LiNiO2

At the risk of being pedantic it's actually LiMn2O4 :whistle:

The 3100 weighs slightly more than the 2900. So the only difference appears to be the thickness of the separator, which is very relevant to reliability.

The exact make up of these cells is a closely regard secret, so there is absolutely no evidence one way or the other to suggest the membrane is thicker of thinner in either application.

The higher capacity cells should be fine for fixed installations (e.g. solar arrays or electric vehicles). Lower capacity cells are more durable & reliable for rough usage (e.g. handheld flashlights).

As i say i'm using the 3100mAh cells and they work great in my torches :thumbsup:

Cheers
Mark

burntoshine

Enlightened
I carry a spare cell in a plastic waterproof match case that I got at Wal- Mart. If you put a small bit of foam in the bottom of the case, an 18650 fits perfectly.

http://www.rei.com/product/678278/c...-B849-E011-AFD7-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA

thanks, G! i picked one up last night and it fits perfectly. i have sheets of really thin foam that i used on both ends. i used a small square of 3m double-sided tape to adhere the bottom piece and the top piece is tucked behind the threads. nice!

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some of the uses for which Panasonic say they developed the 2900 (NCR18650) and 3100 (NCR18650A):
"With its robust and powerful Li-ion batteries, Panasonic is responding to the increasing demand for batteries for mobile use, for example in laptops and notebooks, handhelds and portable televisions. In appropriate battery pack assemblies, these batteries can also be used for driving electric bicycles."
That was pasted from their media release for the NCR18650A.
No mention of flashlights... but they did mention some pretty rugged mobile applications.
I have an electric bicycle, and the battery pack in it gets some pretty rough treatment!
Interestingly, the media release also states:
"Batteries with a capacity of 3.4 Ah and 4.0 Ah respectively are being developed."
That sounds exciting.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
NCR FTW!!!
;)
Happy with mine too.

I'm happy to see that turbo is ~2.8+ amps on these. That's entering p60 territory.

Toobuzz

Newly Enlightened
Just an update. Zebralight offered an exchange for both my SC600w to the step-down ones. Received both replacements two days ago and did a test on both. Using my iphone timer to time, they both step down at exactly 5 mins mark. Light never run hot at all. It did get pretty warm, but nowhere in the hot range. After stepping down it cooled down pretty fast and maintained in a consistent warm temperature which is still comfortable for handholding.

How are the tints on your SC600ws? I decided to send my non-step down version back and I'm hoping for a less green tint on my replacement. I love the tint on my SC51w and my initial SC600w was not close in color temperature. My Xeno E03 XM-L Neutral is beautiful. It is not cool, and definitely not greenish. So I know that it is possible with the Cree XM-L.

Glock27

Enlightened
w00T! My Postman had my SC600w today! Initial impression: It's too big to knock my SC60w out of my front pocket. Fit and finish is the usual ZebraLight standard. Tint is the same as my XP-G SC60w's.
I wish they would have used the same clip and attachment method as the SC60.
The Low Low is lower that the SC60w's.
I can't wait till dark!

G27

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a spare cell in a plastic waterproof match case that I got at Wal- Mart. If you put a small bit of foam in the bottom of the case, an 18650 fits perfectly.

thanks, G! i picked one up last night and it fits perfectly. i have sheets of really thin foam that i used on both ends. i used a small square of 3m double-sided tape to adhere the bottom piece and the top piece is tucked behind the threads. nice!

I use those waterproof match cases, too. They're great for 18650 batteries. About $1 each at Walmart, and Academy Sports and Outdoors has a green version of them, too (for those in the South/Southeast U.S.). I imagine that most stores with a decent camping section carry them, but Walmart is probably the most semi-universally accessible... ;)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are the tints on your SC600ws? I decided to send my non-step down version back and I'm hoping for a less green tint on my replacement. I love the tint on my SC51w and my initial SC600w was not close in color temperature. My Xeno E03 XM-L Neutral is beautiful. It is not cool, and definitely not greenish. So I know that it is possible with the Cree XM-L.
Tint is nice on high and a slight bit of greenish yellow but not immediately obvious. Still acceptable to me. I don't know what circuit is Xeno E03 using, but when a light is running on constant output instead of PWM, one has to expect tint shift to happen when output is stepped down. I know why this happens but am just too sleepy now to put it into words. Maybe someone could help explain it?

FLGUY

Newly Enlightened
Panasonic 3100's is all i have used in my sc600 they work awesome. I wanted the AW's but the Panasonic were close to half the price and are essentially the same cell with no protection. Still may get the AW's in the future when my funds will allow it.

burntoshine

Enlightened
w00T! My Postman had my SC600w today! Initial impression: It's too big to knock my SC60w out of my front pocket. Fit and finish is the usual ZebraLight standard. Tint is the same as my XP-G SC60w's.
I wish they would have used the same clip and attachment method as the SC60.
The Low Low is lower that the SC60w's.
I can't wait till dark!

G27

yeah, i may not ecd it, but it will be my go-to light for all occasions where a flashlight is needed. word!

the tint is on the warmer side of neutral, in my opinion; judging by my own experience. like i said, the tint on my SC600w is identical to the tint on my neutral white Eagletac M2SC4. the SC600w is definitely one of the warmer neutrals that i have, and i really like it! when i shine it on a white wall, it gives me the thought of looking at the sun. and if you look close, the hot spot beam pattern / outline is sort of star-bursty; at least mine is.

I use those waterproof match cases, too. They're great for 18650 batteries. About $1 each at Walmart, and Academy Sports and Outdoors has a green version of them, too (for those in the South/Southeast U.S.). I imagine that most stores with a decent camping section carry them, but Walmart is probably the most semi-universally accessible... ;)

i went to cabelas just because it's the closest store that i thought would have them; they were 2.99 though.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my SC600 - the Panasonic 18500 3100ma cells work fine although they don't have a button top. Only niggle I have is the button is recessed and you have to use your finger nail to press the button. I am cocnerned that over time I will rip the rubber by using my index finger nail to press. I feel that the button has a fair amount of resistance and is not a soft click.

Status
Not open for further replies.