Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50

TCY

Enlightened
It all sounds good with the exception, that I can't use my protected 18650 with it. :(
Which cells do you trust and will work with it ?

Can't go wrong with Sanyo NCR18650GA. Zebralight actually tests runtimes with it.

Rawk

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the recommendations !
I'll probably wait for the first beamshots before ordering...cause I have no idea what High CRI at 5000k will look like ! :D

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for the recommendations !
I'll probably wait for the first beamshots before ordering...cause I have no idea what High CRI at 5000k will look like ! :D
Since it has a frosted lens there won't be much to see but a nice light :)

Rawk

Newly Enlightened
Sure, I'm more worried about the tint. Will it be just pure white ?
I need that floody high cri light mainly for photography, currently using an old 4Sevens AA² Warm White and Nitecore SRT6.
But well, on the pictures you clearly see that its either too warm or too cold, I've got nothing inbetween.

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened

But well, on the pictures you clearly see that its either too warm or too cold, I've got nothing inbetween.

Recently received my Astrolux S41 4 x Nichia 5000k at 90 CRI from Banggood. Just a beautiful, diffused neutral beam... like daylight. Sure, at max the light gets hot enough to burn your fingerprints off -- but it's worth it!

Funny, just a couple weeks ago I was using the light and thinking what if Zebralight made something like this. Probably be better at heat management and with no 40-second stepdown. Then, BOOM!, SC600Fd email. LOL.

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened
Recently received my Astrolux S41 4 x Nichia 5000k at 90 CRI from Banggood. Just a beautiful, diffused neutral beam... like daylight. Sure, at max the light gets hot enough to burn your fingerprints off -- but it's worth it!

Funny, just a couple weeks ago I was using the light and thinking what if Zebralight made something like this. Probably be better at heat management and with no 40-second stepdown. Then, BOOM!, SC600Fd email. LOL.

In terms of tint, can Cree step up to the plate shoulder to shoulder with Nichia?

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened
In terms of tint, can Cree step up to the plate shoulder to shoulder with Nichia?

Hopefully, we'll have only 2 or 3 more weeks before we have an answer.

I know the Cree XM-L2 Neutral White (4400K) in my SC600 Mk II is rated at only 75 CRI, but side-by-side with the Nichia I find colours to be very similar and pleasing. Yes, the Cree is a bit warmer, but at the hotspot I find the tint almost neutral and a closer match to the Nichia.

I think Cree could finally be a contender in the tint snobbery market.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, I'm more worried about the tint. Will it be just pure white ?
I need that floody high cri light mainly for photography, currently using an old 4Sevens AA² Warm White and Nitecore SRT6.
Your camera has white balance adjustment no? Or can use RAW? ... you can make it look just the way you want regardless of the precise tint of the light. The bigger worry for photography will be how even the dispersion will be.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or c with a 4000k color temp.:naughty:

The Plus is the first flashlight that I have bought where tint is everything. If it knocks my socks off, I can find a use for it. If the tint is meh, it will probably find its way to the back of the flashlight drawer.

YES - a headlamp version w 4000K would RULE.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES - a headlamp version w 4000K would RULE.

Exactly. With this tint, CRI, and beam-profile, it's ideal for a headlamp. Would buy!

And I say that despite having recently purchased the 603d, another light with beautiful tint and CRI. It's a pure mule, and was the perfect thing for a really lousy job I had to do for hours on end in our crawlspace. It made the space much more bearable to me, the border-line claustrophobe. The right light can make you work better, for longer, and with less sense of the world closing in on you.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife just called. She won $600 at bingo and said she would buy me this light.

But $600 minus one SC600Fd-III-Plus leaves $500 left over, right?

Do you think she'd consider buying five more for your five closest, dearest friends on the internet?

Like, say, your old buddy Lampe?

Just wondering....

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Do you think she'd consider buying five more for your five closest, dearest friends on the internet?

Like, say, your old buddy Lampe?

Just wondering....

I asked her, then she just looked at me like I was brain-damaged and walked away. I'll try again next time she wins.

We're still friends, right?

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Your camera has white balance adjustment no? Or can use RAW? ... you can make it look just the way you want regardless of the precise tint of the light. The bigger worry for photography will be how even the dispersion will be.

Exactly. I used to photograph inside a factory with high pressure sodium bulb lighting. Everything was literally ORANGEISH-YELLOW. Nasty. Shot raw + a few clicks in photoshop and you would think it was shot in 5000K daylight without degrading the photo quality. You could do the same with white balance on a cheaper camera, to some extent.

markr6

Flashaholic
I know the Cree XM-L2 Neutral White (4400K) in my SC600 Mk II is rated at only 75 CRI, but side-by-side with the Nichia I find colours to be very similar and pleasing. Yes, the Cree is a bit warmer, but at the hotspot I find the tint almost neutral and a closer match to the Nichia.

I think Cree could finally be a contender in the tint snobbery market.

They can, but the problem is consistency. At least with the cheaper LEDs. I sold my SC5w OP; whoever got that won the lotto. It was literally the EXACT same tint as both my L10 flashlights with Nichia 219B. All my other zebralights? They're all over the board.

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened
They can, but the problem is consistency. At least with the cheaper LEDs. I sold my SC5w OP; whoever got that won the lotto. It was literally the EXACT same tint as both my L10 flashlights with Nichia 219B. All my other zebralights? They're all over the board.

Well, here's hoping these high-CRI XHP50 LEDs are hand-picked.

I was out last night with my Astrolux S41 and noticed that it's beam is 180 degrees! At 1400 lumens on max, it's okay for throw. However, if this new SC600Fd III Plus has a 90 degree beam at 1500 lumens then it should throw MUCH farther. Right?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would in theory? But I am sure it won't be a harsh cut off on the sides so you will see some spill over anyways

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Throw is so easy to quantify to the naked eye. Even someone that has no interest in flashlights can tell. Flood isn't so impressive (unless you get into the crazy 4x18650 popcans). So when we have a rather floody light, I think many of us still want some throw we can identify and use, but definitely not to use as a thrower. Just something to "get by" with when do you need to see a little farther.

Last edited:

Latest posts