Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50

markr6

Flashaholic
Congrats Mark, looks an amazing little light...........so is it all flood like a mule type(no hot spot, just a wall of light ). Has to be a keeper, so useful for general uses:party:

Almost feels like a mule, very close at least.

Just way too floody for anything I would use. It was an easy decision to unload it 1 minute after use. Doing a ZL return this time since it was hardly used and has a great tint...so I don't feel bad about someone else getting it when they resell.

Also way too hot, too quick. That's to be expected, but since I would be using high often, it just doesn't make sense for me.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

Just way too floody for anything I would use. It was an easy decision to unload it 1 minute after use. Doing a ZL return this time since it was hardly used and has a great tint...so I don't feel bad about someone else getting it when they resell.

Also way too hot, too quick. That's to be expected, but since I would be using high often, it just doesn't make sense for me.

It did say frosten lens. Simple physics!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have sold it to a forum member since it has great tint! Your pic is what mine looks like also in real life, very nice tint and I actually enjoy the floody beam.

markr6

Flashaholic
It did say frosten lens. Simple physics!

Oh my god!! I've been saying that for months and you didn't get it! I know that but I still took a chance. I KNOW that, that's why I specifically wrote that out so people wouldn't come at with with smartass remarks...

I'll have mine in exactly 50 minutes!!! Topping off an 18650 right now, ready to try this thing out. I know this light is pretty much the opposite of a thrower as designed, so I'm not going to get hung up on throw. There isn't supposed to be any with a frosted lens and rather shallow, OP reflector! Better be a good tint, though!

No emphasis there, that's my original post as is. Sorry, I don't mean to call you out but the people at work do the exact same thing and it drives me INSANE! I can type out everything in clear bulletpoints covering everything from A-Z, and yet people still respond with questions I answered 5 times!! AHHH!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: It's one of those days!

It's just not something I'll use. So it's gone.

markr6

Flashaholic
You should have sold it to a forum member since it has great tint! Your pic is what mine looks like also in real life, very nice tint and I actually enjoy the floody beam.

I already lost $4 on the shipping, plus another $3 or so to ship back. So I don't want to pay another $5 just to sign up to sell this here. Oh yeah then paypal gets some! Sorry!

roger-roger

Enlightened

Perhaps H2 should have started at 1000Lm?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured you wouldn't keep it. Once you have the Mk.III HI, you really don't need any other light.

-decent pocketability
-decent tint
-decent throw
-decent spill width
-decent output
-decent runtime

A jack of all trades really.

I'll wait until Zebralight figures out how to mitigate beam irregularities with a regular lens like Olight.

markr6

Flashaholic
Figured you wouldn't keep it. Once you have the Mk.III HI, you really don't need any other light.

-decent pocketability
-decent tint
-decent throw
-decent spill width
-decent output
-decent runtime

A jack of all trades really.

I never though so, but I'm coming around. I was always more of a flood/balanced beam person, but the HI is proving to do just about everything for me. It even made me pass on keeping the standard SC600w III, which is a great light BTW. I always figured I would get another one, but the HI always makes the cut when I go for a flashlight. I wouldn't give it too much credit for spill, but it does have some.

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:Congrats! Good to know, perfect tint for you!

BTW guys could you please post your "tint review" on the first impression thread as well? It seems like some people are discouraged by the greenish tint on my unit and have decided to not get one. I don't want them to miss out. Thanks!

p.s. I'm not proud of it, but I have returned mine for a replacement. Under normal circumstances I would just sell it but with the cherry picked LED info I got before pre-ordering I felt like I deserve a better tint. The CS guy at ZL said that he made a note to their shipping department (or whichever department that handles replacement shipping) to pick a neutral tint replacement so fingers crossed!
ZL should have serial numbers on their lights like olight for example. I would like to make sure that I don't get the light you just returned because I am quite sensitive to greenish tints. I would return it on a dime as well, so maybe I should contact CS before they ship mine...

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could maybe take advantage of Zebralight's return policy and buy 3 lights, return 2 with the inferior tint.

Maybe if everybody did that then Zebralight would consider cherry-picking the LEDs again.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen a cree "HI" light with "decent spill" trying to get spill from a cree "HI" defeats the purpose of it.

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen a cree "HI" light with "decent spill" trying to get spill from a cree "HI" defeats the purpose of it.

How much spill is "decent" spill? That's going to depend entirely on your applications, your environment, and your preferences.

But I would say that for my applications, environment, and preferences, the SC600 III HI has decent to good spill. It is not a pure thrower by any means; it has a combination of spot and spill.

One way to think about it: the ZL HI is generating almost 1200 lumens, and its hot-spot is less than 20k lux. That's a lot of output, and only modest throw. So you know the output is going somewhere other than the hot-spot. A fair bit of it is going into the spill.

Sure, less spill than the ZL mules, or flooders, or even than the H600 line. It has a deeper reflector and smaller emitter than all of those. But still some spill, and to my mind I'd say a decent amount.

But again--this is more a function of where I'm using it and what I'm using it for than anything else. If you want a mule, this ain't it.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spill has a lot to do with the dimensions of the reflector. Going from a regular xhp-35 to the xhp-35 hi on a zebralight yields the exact same spill width, the only thing that's changed is the corona around the hotspot-- in which there's a sharper transition on the hi, making for a smaller spot overall. The wide spill angle of the Zebralights is a result of their shallow reflectors. Olights have even shallower reflectors, yielding spill angles closer to 120 degrees. Of course, the wider the spill angle, the less it will reach per the same lumen level as well. Everybody has different preferences in general purpose beam patterns, and mine just happens to be one with wide spill and a hotspot that has decently good throw.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion obviously but you point out 20k lux in a light that size tells me it is a very throwy light. At least as far as it's size permits. That's fine if you tell me it is a throwy light so I know what to expect and make my decisions based on that.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion obviously but you point out 20k lux in a light that size tells me it is a very throwy light.

Fair enough. This reminds me that I have been spoiled by my tiny pocket thrower, Vinh's Eagletac TX25cVn, which is slightly smaller than the SC600 but packs a hotspot of 65k lux. Since I'm used to that, 20k lux does not seem like a throwy light. But you're right! 20k lux is throwy! By the standards of 5 years ago, or by the standards of non-Vinh lights, 20k is plenty throwy.

So, yes: the SC600 III HI is a throwy light, though not a freak-of-nature thrower like the TX25cVn.

Actually, I was just goofing around on my drive home tonight. On empty roads, with no cars in sight in either direction. The SC600 III HI was noticeably brighter than my headlights.

Latest posts