Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just happened to look at the light at the lowest L2 setting. I have never noticed it before in any of my lights, but the pwm is very noticeable. No offense, but someone on this forum is going to crap a brick when they see this. It's like there is a butterfly caught inside!

Steve

Mine doesn't exhibit this behavior either, you may want to contact ZL for an exchange/refund because it shouldn't be doing that.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely no visible or audible PWM on any mode with my one, and I'm pretty sensitive to PWM too. It may possibly use PWM, but if so, there is enough capacitance to smooth it out nicely.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone, tonight I'll check the other low light levels and also see if another battery changes that noticeable flicker. It isn't an even flicker; the frequency changes. I tried the existing battery in another light (SC62w) and it did not replicate.

Got a reply back from ZL if the PID functions during the strobe; answer is no. This concerns me, as I let the light run at 4Hz for 30 minutes and it was too hot to handle. Sometimes when it is hotter around here (on my bike ride home) my previous SC600 III L2 would get quite hot during 4Hz mode; I can imagine this getting even hotter in the same conditions

Would I know if the light was damaged from heat? I don't have a tool to measure the temperature of it when it is too hot to handle.

Steve

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
geokite, this is probably a silly question, but did you do a thorough cleaning of all the electrical contact points, including the end of the battery tube and where it makes contact in the tailcap? It's probably a bad driver causing that flickering, but it never hurts to check the simple stuff : )

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would I know if the light was damaged from heat?
noticeable flicker :mecry:sounds like damage, yes

Got a reply back from ZL if the PID functions during the strobe; answer is no. This concerns me

sounds like youre going to have to stop using Zebras as bike strobe lights, now that you know there is no PID on Zebra strobes

sorry for your pain, I hope you negotiate an acceptable resolution w Zebralight, and that you find a suitable replacement bike light.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies everyone, tonight I'll check the other low light levels and also see if another battery changes that noticeable flicker. It isn't an even flicker; the frequency changes. I tried the existing battery in another light (SC62w) and it did not replicate.

Got a reply back from ZL if the PID functions during the strobe; answer is no. This concerns me, as I let the light run at 4Hz for 30 minutes and it was too hot to handle. Sometimes when it is hotter around here (on my bike ride home) my previous SC600 III L2 would get quite hot during 4Hz mode; I can imagine this getting even hotter in the same conditions

Would I know if the light was damaged from heat? I don't have a tool to measure the temperature of it when it is too hot to handle.

Steve

I doubt it was damaged by heat. All ZL components are rated to a minimum of 85C so, it would have to get extremely hot. I would be more concerned about your batteries. Lithium ions don't like heat at all and exposing them to excessive heat can greatly degrade their performance and service life. Also, most lithium ions have a maximum safe operating limit of 60C so, going above that can be very dangerous and can even cause a catastrophic failure(fire/explosion).

You probably just got a defective driver. Put in a warranty claim with ZL and have it replaced:thumbsup:.

Last edited:

lightwriteslice411

Newly Enlightened
I may have missed this in the thread somewhere....

Has anyone done a comparison between the SC63w and the SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50?

I am trying to decide between these two, now that I have already pulled the trigger on the SC600w-III HI. I've currently got an SC5w-op I have been EDC'ing, so it would those two would just be to swap out with this one once in a while, more than likely on my work days.

Thanks!

-Ben

DMS1970

Enlightened
I may have missed this in the thread somewhere....

Has anyone done a comparison between the SC63w and the SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50?

I am trying to decide between these two, now that I have already pulled the trigger on the SC600w-III HI. I've currently got an SC5w-op I have been EDC'ing, so it would those two would just be to swap out with this one once in a while, more than likely on my work days.

Thanks!

-Ben

i have the mkiii floody (warm) and the mkiii hi and sc63, both in cool. They are all unique animals for sure. The fd is phenomenal for a wall of light, but I still haven't ever been a warm tint guy. In a pinch the 63 is the easiest to tote. I cycle through them, but try and take the 63 and one of the mkiii with me every time I go hunting.

jgmoosehunter

Newly Enlightened
Hey, DMS1970:
Where can I buy the SC600 III HI in cool white? I don't see it as an option on the ZL website, didn't know it was offered. I am refering to the non-floody thrower. I apologize as I know this thread is about the floody version, but it was referred to in the previous reply.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, DMS1970:
Where can I buy the SC600 III HI in cool white? I don't see it as an option on the ZL website, didn't know it was offered. I am refering to the non-floody thrower. I apologize as I know this thread is about the floody version, but it was referred to in the previous reply.

The MK3 HI is not offered in cool white. The SC600 III is and may be what the previous poster meant.

Screwball69N

Newly Enlightened
Well my glass is cracked and not from being droped or anything was using it put it in my pocket got it back out not ten minutes later and it's cracked I have 5 other ZebraLight and never seen it happen I'm thinking that the frosted glass is weeker then the normal but I'm talking with the Warranty department I hope this doesn't take two months till I see a flashlight from them again

markr6

Flashaholic
Well my glass is cracked and not from being droped or anything was using it put it in my pocket got it back out not ten minutes later and it's cracked I have 5 other ZebraLight and never seen it happen I'm thinking that the frosted glass is weeker then the normal but I'm talking with the Warranty department I hope this doesn't take two months till I see a flashlight from them again

Sorry to hear that. There is a thread somewhere where the frosted lens cracking is discussed. I think some unfortunate member here had 3 or more lenses crack for no reason! I would get it replaced, but that wouldn't give me much hope on the next one.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that. There is a thread somewhere where the frosted lens cracking is discussed. I think some unfortunate member here had 3 or more lenses crack for no reason! I would get it replaced, but that wouldn't give me much hope on the next one.
Since that thread you referenced was started Zebralight has changed their glass, including the frosted lenses, to Gorilla Glass 3. So, it is much stronger now. Frosted glass will always be slightly weaker however because it is often slightly thinner and the frosting process slightly weakens it. It is only slightly weaker though and not a problem for most users. That's why you barely ever hear reports of broken lenses even with the thousands of frosted ZL's sold.

I would just get it replaced and go on using it. Of course, carrying a large glass lens flashlight in your pocket with any other items is not advised. Anything in your pocket with the light could put stress on the lens as you move and increase the chance of a broken lens. So, don't put anything else in your pocket if you are going to pocket carry your Plus(not saying you did Screwball).

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since that thread you referenced was started Zebralight has changed their glass, including the frosted lenses, to Gorilla Glass 3. So, it is much stronger now. Frosted glass will always be slightly weaker however because it is often slightly thinner and the frosting process slightly weakens it. It is only slightly weaker though and not a problem for most users. That's why you barely ever hear reports of broken lenses even with the thousands of frosted ZL's sold.

I would just get it replaced and go on using it. Of course, carrying a large glass lens flashlight in your pocket with any other items is not advised. Anything in your pocket with the light could put stress on the lens as you move and increase the chance of a broken lens. So, don't put anything else in your pocket if you are going to pocket carry your Plus(not saying you did Screwball).

Was it a switch to an even higher strength Gorilla Glass, or switching to Gorilla Glass for the first time? Member Stefano noticed his new h600f had less spread and more reach than his older model. He asked and ZL informed him that all new frosted models had Gorilla glass lenses. This was long before the Plus came out. Meaning the Plus's lens should be Gorilla glass already.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it a switch to an even higher strength Gorilla Glass, or switching to Gorilla Glass for the first time? Member Stefano noticed his new h600f had less spread and more reach than his older model. He asked and ZL informed him that all new frosted models had Gorilla glass lenses. This was long before the Plus came out. Meaning the Plus's lens should be Gorilla glass already.

I believe the original glass used was just normal glass. Then, they switched to Gorilla Glass 3. Yes, the switch was a long time ago so all Plus's should use Gorilla glass 3. The thread Mark was referencing was from way back though so I was simply pointing out that new ZL's use stronger glass unlike the ones from that thread. It now seams to be a rare occurance to crack a ZL frosted lens. But, if you are going to break one I would guess the Plus's would break the easiest because it is so large.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Connor

Enlightened
Someone[1] over at the German TLF posted a thermal imaging animated gif that shows both the SC600Fd III+ and the SC600w MkIII Hi heating up and reaching thermal equilibrium:
http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/t...k-iii-xhp35-hi-vs-sc600f-d-mk-iii-plus.55201/

The gif can only be viewed if you have/make an account there but a few posts later he also publicly linked the full video as download: http://www.fastshare.org/download/heatup.mkv
Very nicely done and very interesting to watch. The SC600Fd III+ - surprise - heats up a lot faster.

1. h/t to "0-8-15 User"@TLF

Last edited: