Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What probably won't be so good as its tint transition from hotspot to corona to spill. The .2 versions of the XHP50 and 70 haven't been so good with this-- especially the neutral white verisons. Users on BLF have found out that shaving off the extra phosphorous outside the dome of the emitters helps with the issue, though.

TCY

Enlightened
This is precisely what I'm afraid of. Many of Vinh's modded lights with 50.2 it has that distinct tint shift.

ven

Flashaholic
Yeah the 50.2 are iirc 4 xpg3 dies, and xpg3 is known to be green.

If thats correct, i will more than likely pass as the 50.2 has not impressed me so far..................nor has the xp-g3(of the ones i have HAVE had:()

Guess i will wait on some reports before a decision.............

Nichia!

Banned
Hey Zebralight I know you are here;)

Please this time do the following

1. No PWM of any kind on all levels.

2. No Battery Rattle (bring back Springs).

3. Perfect anodizing.

4. Make 2 versions please one with smooth reflector (thrower) and the other (orange peel) for balanced beam.

TCY

Enlightened
Some questions I asked ZL and some answers they replied: "No plans for "c" or "d" variants of the SC600 IV Plus in the near future. We'll start to take pre-orders in 1-2 weeks. The Mk III Plus version was our first try in incorporating some new but critical components (a high performance inductor and some extremely low resistance MOSFETs) into our 18650 drivers, we wanted to keep it "low profile" at that time. Even in the Mk IV Plus, we are not over driving the LEDs at all.
A small pre-production batch has been produced recently in order to determine various aspects of the XHP50.2 LEDs. We believe that overall the beam is acceptable, and hence no need for frosted lens."

So overall ZL thinks the tint shift is acceptable. I don't know if I can take it after the frosted SC600Fd Plus and H53Fc. I think eventually I'm going to get it though. I'd prefer a c or d flavour but they aren't doing it for some reason. Can't get them 2-step LEDs?:popcorn:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're most likely commenting on a lack of donut hole or cross pattern for the 50.2. 50.1 and 70.1 and 70.2 all have enough space between each die that you'll see the aforementioned beam patterns in a small non-frosted reflector.

TCY

Enlightened
I bet they are using a fairly heavy orange peel reflector to smooth out the tint shift quite a bit. I'm pretty used to the floody beam profile for EDC now, don't know if the new one would be good.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rats.

I successfully fought off the temptation to buy an SC5c II, only to discover the Manker E14 II is available as one of the highest power high CRI lights on the market.

I fought off the temptation to buy the Manker, and now Zebralight comes out with a new high power, mid-CRI light.

So now I've got to fight off the temptation to buy that, but even worse, I know the SC600c IV is just around the corner.

I'm glad it appears the donut hole issue is gone. I'm much more likely to consider this light with at least modest throw available compared to with a frosted lens.

I'd happily accept a light 1/4" longer in exchange for having sufficient spring/pogo pin travel to avoid crushing batteries. I don't understand why Zebralight is so obsessed with minimizing length.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I held off on the II because the ~200 lumen difference wasn't that great; I guess one way to make sure everybody upgrades is to make the light roughly twice as bright over the previous version..

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Zebralight I know you are here;)

Please this time do the following

1. No PWM of any kind on all levels.

2. No Battery Rattle (bring back Springs).

3. Perfect anodizing.

4. Make 2 versions please one with smooth reflector (thrower) and the other (orange peel) for balanced beam.

With reflectors of that size they just have to apply OP to eliminate beam artifacts. And to make a real thrower they need to increase the reflector itself. I guess this is not their motto.

TCY

Enlightened
Rats.

I successfully fought off the temptation to buy an SC5c II, only to discover the Manker E14 II is available as one of the highest power high CRI lights on the market.

I fought off the temptation to buy the Manker, and now Zebralight comes out with a new high power, mid-CRI light.

So now I've got to fight off the temptation to buy that, but even worse, I know the SC600c IV is just around the corner.

I'm glad it appears the donut hole issue is gone. I'm much more likely to consider this light with at least modest throw available compared to with a frosted lens.

I'd happily accept a light 1/4" longer in exchange for having sufficient spring/pogo pin travel to avoid crushing batteries. I don't understand why Zebralight is so obsessed with minimizing length.

Some bad(good) news for you: grab a D4vn for 60 bucks, 3700 lumens with 4*4000K R9050 219C:nana:

do-it.png

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I don't understand is why, for the past couple of years, the AA lights have gotten all the good emitters, while 18650 lights have to make due with low CRI garbage emitters. I mean, the SC5 got the Easywhite XM-L2's and now the XP-L2. But the 28650 lights never got these. The SC600Fw did get the high CRI XHP50, which admittedly isn't bad. But even this emitter is not 'cherry picked' in the same way as the SC5 Easywhites (ie three vs two point Macadam). And, of course, the SC63 got totally hosed when it came to emitters, with NO high CRI option whatsoever. What gives?

terjee

Enlightened
And, of course, the SC63 got totally hosed when it came to emitters, with NO high CRI option whatsoever. What gives?

Did you see the upcoming SC64c?

Sounds like a good candidate. Will likely get one myself.

Other than that, I'm guessing it's just a matter of production capacity vs. lumen chasing and what actually sells.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
tighter binning with easywhite isn't really a good thing for these emitters at 4000k and above, because it means you'll have less of a chance of getting an emitter that tends towards rosy instead of greenish. The same is true for the high CRI emitters, since they all follow the 2-step easywhite selection.

maukka

Enlightened
The Macadams steps for Cree emitters don't matter at all in flashlight use, because the emitters are binned integrated i.e. averaged throughout the radiated light. Any tint shift (which is very apparent on all modern Crees) makes the tint binning useless. It only guarantees that the variation between lights is smaller.

TCY

Enlightened
The Macadams steps for Cree emitters don't matter at all in flashlight use, because the emitters are binned integrated i.e. averaged throughout the radiated light. Any tint shift (which is very apparent on all modern Crees) makes the tint binning useless. It only guarantees that the variation between lights is smaller.

The Plus and H53Fc have frosted lens to smooth things out so they worked great for me, not so sure about this one with a clear lens. Maybe I'll wait for someone to post a review first, I wish I'm not that much of a tint snob but can't help it:shrug:

Keitho

Enlightened
I was looking at the 50.2 datasheet, and ZL is going to have to pull of some magic to get 2400 OTF lumens from a single 50.2 on a single 18650. If it is a single LED like other ZL's, they'll be boosting up over 6.0V, gotta be well over 4A (maybe 6A even), and over-driving the emitter quite a bit. This light will have to be the hottest ZL ever made, and might even drive some changes in the body shape/weight to handle the heat.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if ZL has a multi-50.2 design that they're about to roll out. They don't like over-driving emitters too much, it seems. I'd say not likely, but possible.... Even with a multi-emitter design, the driver will still have to be pretty slick.

Latest posts