Zebralight SC64c

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 5A you are quite overdriving the Nichia. Even if that might be ok with proper cooling... Zebralight generally does not operate their LED above max specification (if I understand their philosophy correctly). So in a 'real world' ZL the 219c would be driven with around 5 Watt on max level and the Cree with more than 9 Watt (like it is the case in the current SC64c). And within this range (at least according to the datasheets) the efficiency difference between both is much lower. Did you also compare the LED at lower levels around 1 to 2 A?
How much larger is the die size of the 219c?

Yes, they don't. Generally that is a good thing for their edc type lights because, as you have noted, efficiency stays high.

I don't think it makes sense to compare the efficiency of the LEDs at different power levels though. A lower power levels the 219C comes closer to the XP-L2, that's for sure.

The 219C has a smaller die compared to the XP-L2, around 2.2mm^2 vs 3.55mm^2. The hotspot size directly correlates to this (do note though that optically speaking the domes on the LEDs double the apparant die sizes).

Maybe I will calculate more values for lower currents later, it's a lot of work actually.

Last edited:

ingokl

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! Just to avoid a misunderstanding. I did not mean to compare the two LED at different power levels but at the same power level for each (just a lower one within the spec of both).
But I think you don't need to invest too much time into this. Apparently we agree that (within typical ZL lumen/power levels) the efficiency of the 219c and the XP-L2 will be very similar.
What I find more interesting is your information about the die size. In a similar reflector the Nichia will offer much better throw and a smaller hotspot than the Cree. When I changed from my XP-G SC62 to my XM-L2 SC62 I found the larger hotspot much more suitable for general edc tasks. And the huge step in brightness made up for an otherwise lower throw. I am not sure I would really like the beam characteristics of the smaller Nichia (taken even better color rendition aside).

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I also find the bigger spot to be more practical in such compact lights.

One thing to note though is that the Nichia 219C will not really throw further when you drive it at 5W and the XP-L2 at 10W. It will be very similar. Driven at the same power it will of course throw further.

Last edited:

Ares

Newly Enlightened
I received the SC64w and SC64c today. I previously owned the SC63w but lost it. I'm not going to lie, I can barely tell the difference between the SC64w and SC64c. This isn't for lack of trying. I also own the old SC62c and the difference with it (warmer tint and tighter hotspot) is obvious. I'm not sure what's going on. The C is supposed to be 900 lumens and the W is 1400 lumens... but I can't tell them apart inside or outside. It's kind of crazy, and has me wondering if one is a dud.

Don't get me wrong - the tints on both are superb (albeit pretty much identical). I'm generally a tint snob, preferring warmer tints and the highest CRI. Both of these are perfect in my book. The brightness is every bit as good as my old 63w was. Maybe a wee bit brighter. The beam feels "smoother" on both than my 63w did. They're terrific lights. I just can't see any difference between them at all and I'm somewhat surprised. I really wish I had my old SC63w for comparison, but losing it was how I justified this purchase sooooo haha

I even tried shining them both on a very colorful magazine cover with a lot of blues in it - usually I can spot the high CRI light with ease. But nope. Both do an excellent, identical job, from what my eyes can see. Maybe I just got really, really lucky on the W's tint. Or I got really really lucky on the C's brightness. Who knows. I'll probably do a runtime test, and keep whichever lasts the longest on high - and give the other away as a Christmas present. There's really no need for both (and this is coming from the guy who has the SC600w, SC600w MkII, SC600 Fd III Plus, SC62d, SC62c, and used to have the SC63w - yes, I have a problem lol).

Ps. If anybody else has both, could you post a side by side shot of the LEDs? They even look identical to me. I thought one would be smaller or something at least. I swear it says 64w on one and 64c on the other lol

Pps. If you had both, and couldn't tell them apart, which would you keep? I'm leaning towards the C. I swear it really is as bright as the W. I've been playing some more with them and on a white wall, in M1, I can sort of tell the C is warmer. Just barely. Never enough to notice in real world use.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Ares, although i dont have the sc64c and sc64w, the xhp35 is easy to tell. I do have both the LED's, and there is a very noticeable difference. Switch on its lowest setting, look close at the xhp35 (sc64w)and you should see the 4 dies with the + . The xp-l2 does not have this, also i find them very different, the xp-l2 is towards yellow, the xhp35 if anything would be a little rosy to my eyes.

Connor

Enlightened
I received the SC64w and SC64c today. I previously owned the SC63w but lost it. I'm not going to lie, I can barely tell the difference between the SC64w and SC64c. This isn't for lack of trying. I also own the old SC62c and the difference with it (warmer tint and tighter hotspot) is obvious. I'm not sure what's going on. The C is supposed to be 900 lumens and the W is 1400 lumens... but I can't tell them apart inside or outside. It's kind of crazy, and has me wondering if one is a dud.

It's really hard to tell apart relatively small brightness differences because our eyes don't perceive brightness in a linear way.
Grab your smartphone and an app that shows lux (e.g. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2 ) and do a "ceiling bounce".

Both lights @room temperature and on max, same position, don't move the smartphone in between measurements etc.
The lux meter should see the difference clearly.

Ares

Newly Enlightened
look close at the xhp35 (sc64w)and you should see the 4 dies with the + . The xp-l2 does not have this.

Ummmmmm... both have four dies? :thinking:

q7lMr8r.jpg

obckTw6.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
also i find them very different, the xp-l2 is towards yellow, the xhp35 if anything would be a little rosy to my eyes.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I, too, generally find XHP-35 to be a little on the "rosy" side (which I kind of don't like). It's why I had to get the SC64c for comparison. I'll pick a yellow / green tint over a rosy tint any time - even if it means giving up some lumens. But sometimes you win the "tint lottery" and it's not so bad.
[/FONT]
I'm really quite pleased with the tint and brightness from both of them. The problem is, they're identical. I literally can't tell the difference - and that is unlike me haha

Last edited:

Ares

Newly Enlightened
Have some beam shots. Can you guys spot the difference? I sure can't!

t11epEQ.jpg

hUpO0AH.jpg

Ares

Newly Enlightened
Some more beam shot fun as I mess with my flashlights instead of wrapping presents like I should be doing :grin2:

QBXUOZR.jpg

G12v3lZ.jpg

75AdXtR.jpg

Ps. Merry Christmas Eve, folks! :wave:

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
I'll pick a yellow / green tint over a rosy tint any time - even if it means giving up some lumens. But sometimes you win the "tint lottery" and it's not so bad.

You may be the first person I've seen express this preference; most people I've seen express a preference either prefer rosy, or strongly insist on pure blackbody white.
Ares said:
I'm really quite pleased with the tint and brightness from both of them. The problem is, they're identical. I literally can't tell the difference - and that is unlike me haha
I think that's because they are identical. I'm 99% sure the XP-L2 Easywhite is not a quad-die emitter and what you have there is an SC64w misbranded as an SC64c. You might want to contact Zebralight and ask about that.

jlittle

Newly Enlightened
You may be the first person I've seen express this preference; most people I've seen express a preference either prefer rosy, or strongly insist on pure blackbody white.
[/FONT]
I think that's because they are identical. I'm 99% sure the XP-L2 Easywhite is not a quad-die emitter and what you have there is an SC64w misbranded as an SC64c. You might want to contact Zebralight and ask about that.

i don't know how to read any of this but it has a picture :twothumbs

http://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/dsXPL2.pdf

Last edited:

Nuppet

Newly Enlightened
I have the SC5w (1st gen OP), SC63w and the H53Fc to compare: At a few centimeters distance shining the light at my hand (similar lumens output), the H53Fc has the best colors. Pointing the lights, with increased lumens, at the white (sort of) painted roof it was not so straightforward.

The SC5w has a nice "white" hotspot degrading to not so nice magenta/purple. The SC63w is more yellow (along with a faint monster purple eye) and is not that different from the H53Fc at distance (with no monster eye).

For me the "hand test" shows the difference most clearly.

Ares

Newly Enlightened
This is what an XP-L2 EasyWhite should look like.
That's definitely not what mine looks like. I think I got a second "w" in "c" clothing, guys!

I sent the pics to ZebraLight. We'll see what they said. I didn't want to pester them about it unless something seemed off after talking to you guys about it. Thanks!

Hahaha, I know, I'm weird. I even loved the little SC52w that was so green it hurt lol. My absolute favorite tint was my very first ZebraLight - the SC600w 1st gen. I prefer a white / yellow. Green is pretty good. Rosy / pink / purple bothers me. I mostly use mine outdoors. I like the way the foliage looks under yellow/green tint. Rosy makes it look weird, to my eyes, anyway. Oh well - somebody has to buy the yellow/green ones, right? I even specify it in my "order notes" every time I order from ZebraLight hahaha

I was really hoping someone would say that, because I've been thinking it this whole time - I just didn't want to seem crazy hahaha. I was reaaaally looking forward to essentially my SC62c with more lumens and a wider hotspot (that 10 degree spot drives me crazy; I got into ZL for floody, not spot lol).

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

q7lMr8r.jpg

obckTw6.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I, too, generally find XHP-35 to be a little on the "rosy" side (which I kind of don't like). It's why I had to get the SC64c for comparison. I'll pick a yellow / green tint over a rosy tint any time - even if it means giving up some lumens. But sometimes you win the "tint lottery" and it's not so bad.
[/FONT]
Looks like ZL made a mistake man. Both of those lights have an XHP35. You need to contact them and have your 64c exchanged. They must have had a mix up and put the wrong emitter in the 64c. That is why they look the same.

ven

Flashaholic

q7lMr8r.jpg

obckTw6.jpg

I, too, generally find XHP-35 to be a little on the "rosy" side (which I kind of don't like). It's why I had to get the SC64c for comparison. I'll pick a yellow / green tint over a rosy tint any time - even if it means giving up some lumens. But sometimes you win the "tint lottery" and it's not so bad.

My apologies for the delay in response, all thing Christmas eve have got in the way(sorting stuff that father xmas is leaving lol)

You have xhp35 in both of your zebralights, the sc64c has an xhp35 which is an issue at ZL . I would contact and return that light going off your pics.

Ares

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, everyone! I've sent the above pics to ZebraLight. I'll let you know what they say! Hope it's just a fluke - else they're likely looking at a bunch of returns after Christmas! :(

ven

Flashaholic
*beep* happens Ares , i would say a fluke. Worst time of year to be releasing lights imho, combined with more demand than supply. Plus when humans are involved, mistakes do happen...............even to the best of us. Console yourself with the very nice sc64w, bright side it will get more attention instead of being shared with the sc64c(which is a w). Then when sorted in a week or two, you can spend time with that and work out a fav. :)

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like ZL made a mistake man. Both of those lights have an XHP35. You need to contact them and have your 64c exchanged. They must have had a mix up and put the wrong emitter in the 64c. That is why they look the same.

If the light were a Surefire, this misbranded one would be worth a fortune...