Zebralight update

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I wonder how they would make a refector small enough to keep with the goodness of the Zebralight aka small and very packable. I would take the H51 over the H501 as after playing around with the H50 don't see the need to buy nearly the same light for just a clicky. I think the double O ring twisty is more water proof than the clicky as there are two points of possible entry. Now a refector Zebralight may offer something extra for trail work over the pure flood H50 as this is better for camp use.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all you're looking to do is convert *some* of the extreme-wide light from an LED to roughly forwards light, it doesn't need much of a reflector.

For example, with an SSC P4 (admittedly a rather wider-angle LED than a Cree), dropping a tiny conical 90-degree reflector over the dome that isn't any higher than the dome itself makes a visible difference to the beam.
Use a reflector which is about 7mm deep (from the base of the dome) and you get about a 3x boost in forward light intensity, but a beam that still looks basically floody.

With a Cree, there's less of an effect, since there's less extreme-wide light to be thrown forwards.

Woods Walker

Thanks.

I would want more throw than just a little extra next to the flood Zebralight. The flood rocks but for trail work not so good. This way I could use the newer Zebra for the hike in and the H50 for camp work. During winter sometimes I don't pitch camp until after dark. I will have to see what they come up with. Also I tend to hold off and let others find all the bugs. Maybe they are taking the time to do it right from the get go.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just FYI, I emailed Zebralight a few days ago and got this response:

Hi Kevin,

The H501 will use the same lens as one in the H30 and the H60.
It will be released in two to three weeks.

Thanks and regards,

Lillian Xu
Customer Service
ZebraLight

:whistle:
so between now and next week :popcorn::shrug::hairpull::whoopin::lolsign::bump:

brossa

Newly Enlightened
From an email today:

"We'll start the H501 production next week. The H501 is an AA powered
headlamp with a lens similar to the one on the H30, higher HIGH, pushbutton switch, etc. We should have some H501 info on our website next week.

Thanks and regards,

Lillian Xu
ZebraLight "

Woods Walker

The next step will be to look for reports from users on CPF just in case of bugs etc. After that hold off for a few months to make sure the coast is clear and buy a new Zebralight to go along with my H50.:grin2:

Patriot

Flashaholic
From an email today:

headlamp with a lens similar to the one on the H30, higher HIGH, pushbutton switch, etc. We should have some H501 info on our website next week.

Thanks and regards,

Lillian Xu
ZebraLight "

Woohoo! :party:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just notice that the folks relaying email messages with Zebra only have a few post counts. Hmmmm?

Anyway, I shall keep on waiting.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
From an email today:

Thanks and regards,

Lillian Xu
ZebraLight "
Thanks for the update Brossa! :wave:

I like the higher high, as long as they keep the low too.

Shorty66

Enlightened
I emailed them too and got a similar anwer. They also confirmed, that all modes will be avaible with 14500er cells though the output will again be a bit lower an all modes.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
this has an obvious answer no doubt but why is the H60 have a shiny surface around the emitter while the others don't. is it bare aluminum vs. hard anodized? does it make a difference in terms of light reflected foward?

Shorty66

Enlightened
I think its just something like a mini reflector. Perhaps the new 501 will have it to.
I would like to have a similar UI lik in the H60 for the H501.
Its nice to have more than three modes to choose from without the hassle of a tipical six mode light (as the H60 has three modes wich are programmable to two different levels each).

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
**Disclaimer** Now, I don't personally own a Zebralight, nor do I know any one who does. Neither have I read all of the posts on this thread. What is posted from here on in seems logical (at least to me).;)

Now, I am not exactly sure whether or not the new lights discussed here will still be 90* type lights, or more like a regular flashlight. However, it seems logical to me that the only way to keep a 90* format light with a reflector contained within roughly the same dimensions as the original light are to make it slightly longer, and, instead of mounting the LED next to the driver, with a heat sink, to mount the LED/reflector assembly on a smaller heat sink (which only gaps the span between the LED's base, and the internal arc of the body), on top of the driver assembly. This way you maintain the sleek appearance of the light, as well as near original dimensions for diameter, and length.

If the actual design of the unit is discussed anywhere in this thread, then disregard my thoughts (unless you work for Zebralight, in which case I'll let you use the aforementioned design for extremely cheap.:poke:)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
... However, it seems logical to me that the only way to keep a 90* format light with a reflector contained within roughly the same dimensions as the original light are to make it slightly longer, and, instead of mounting the LED next to the driver, with a heat sink, to mount the LED/reflector assembly on a smaller heat sink (which only gaps the span between the LED's base, and the internal arc of the body), on top of the driver assembly. This way you maintain the sleek appearance of the light, as well as near original dimensions for diameter, and length.
This is a great idea and I hope they're listening. :candle: