Milky Room Sweeper

Lampenfisch

Newly Enlightened
Hi Milky :wave:,

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I´ve send you a mail/pm (CPFMP) regarding my Creemator order.

Perhaps you can give me a short reply.

Thanks

Lampenfisch (Gerald)

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hi Milky,

From USPS:
  • Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 18, 2009
  • Processed, February 18, 2009, 9:25 pm, KEARNY, NJ 07032
  • Processed, February 19, 2009, 10:21 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97218
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

If it comes in this afternoon, I'll be having a fun weekend...:grin2:

JJV

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Room Sweeper yesterday. Wow! I love the fact that it can be used on either the E1 or E2 body, depending on need. This thing lights up a whole room very well, and the ceiling bounce is great too.

For those concerned about runtime-it gets really hot, so I don't see using it for more than a few minutes at a time. Runtime thus is not a concern for me; it may not be for you either.

Thanks Scott-awesome work! :thumbsup:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Room Sweeper yesterday. Wow! I love the fact that it can be used on either the E1 or E2 body, depending on need. This thing lights up a whole room very well, and the ceiling bounce is great too.

For those concerned about runtime-it gets really hot, so I don't see using it for more than a few minutes at a time. Runtime thus is not a concern for me; it may not be for you either.

Thanks Scott-awesome work! :thumbsup:

JJV, glad you like it! :thumbsup: The light will get uncomfortable to hold before you'll actually do any damage to the LED. Enjoy!

MILKY: It's just a matter of time, Scott, before my E1e head comes to you for a P7!

DHart, been waiting, big guy... for that and anything else you care to send! ;)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Kestrel... how is your RoomSweeper???
I have been too busy to take & post photos, but I am very happy with what I consider my Room Sweeper mini – an old-style E1 I picked up in the Marketplace, no hex flats and IMO the best looking SF:

img4933jz0.jpg

In addition to the RS treatment, it now has a two-level output with the McGizmo two-stage switch, I am guessing a low of something like 5-10 lumens (measured by ceiling bounce and comparing it to other lights in my integrating bathroom). Using the diffuse low beam is quite nice for close-up or night-time tasks, unlike the 'piercing' 10 lumen low of the SF Cree L1. The low-to-high is operated by the twistie in the exact same manner as the SF L1, which is my favorite UI. To shield the rear o-ring while adding the 1-2mm longer two-stage-switch mechanism, the twistie tailcap had to be replaced with a slightly longer lockout twistie from a later-model E1. Comparing it to the 'before' picture, the extra length is pretty-much indistinguishable, and well worth having for the additional low level. I still have the original tailcap, so it can be returned to 'stock' RS configuration if necessary.

To give you an idea of how bright it is, in a dark room I can shine it through my hand and SEE MY VEINS :devil:. It can also be run on a CR123 lithium primary for ~150 lumens as backup, I was told. (Edit: it actually doesn't function on a CR123 lithium primary, no biggie, IMR16340's are totally the way to go anyway) I obtained a runtime of 12 minutes on 'high' (1xIMR16340). Perhaps Scott can make a guess for the runtime on low, as he configured the resistor.

And boy, is it floody, considerably floodier than my SF L2. I am more of a 'throw' type of person, and this is the first floody flashlight I've had that gives me what I consider to be a good level of output to make up for the large area that all those lumens are going into.

The head is now quite substantial with the brass heat sink, and gets very toasty during a long run, although it doesn't get uncomfortably hot. After thinking about that for a while this weekend, I came up with the following comparison:
Thermal Specific _Den _"Thermal
conduct HeatCap _sity _volume"
(W / mK) (J / gK) (g/cc)_ (J/ccK)
Aluminum 250 __0.85 ___2.7__ 2.3
Brass..... 110 __0.38 ___8.6 __3.2
Copper... 400 __0.39___ 9.0__ 3.5
Silver..... 430 __0.23 __10.5 __2.4

"Thermal volume" is for a fixed-size part – i.e. an internally-mounted heatsink. For example, a 1 cubic centimeter brass part requires 3.2 joules of heat to raise it by 1 degree Kelvin (or Celsius).

Although brass is a good choice for a heatsink in this application, aluminum is also competitive (as its heat capacity per unit weight is over double that of brass), and about one third the weight - think EDC. It will absorb almost 3/4 of the heat compared to a brass part of the same volume per degree rise in temperature, but will also conduct heat away from the emitter over twice as fast as brass will (but will be conducting more heat to the battery as well - I am assuming that this wouldn't be an issue but perhaps Scott could weigh in?). So it's roughly a wash I think (from my perspective – although I don't build flashlights:)), except that the aluminum heatsink would be only 1/3 the weight. My two cents.

Last edited:

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Mine just arrived today e2e version. Man what a great little light. Just perfect little flood monster. I have lights for throw, but have been wanting something that would light up the ground at short distances. Couldn't have asked for a better job.

I think it should be renamed the milky hand warmer :) Just tossed the head on my e1 so I could test it while waiting for the 17670's to charge. And boy did that thing eat a battery!

Pics and beam shots tomorrow hopefully!

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Some pictures I took last night.

One of these aint like the other one....
3329404917_08df3bf07e_o.jpg

Bit of a side angle so you can see how shallow the reflector is.
3329404947_2dd324c654_o.jpg

Back end
3329404967_20fbc1688e_o.jpg

The obligatory milky sticker shot.
3330239802_4645f6323c_o.jpg

Quick shot to show the difference in spill between stock e1e e2e and milky
All photos taken at 1/25 F3.5 400iso. Distance to back wall is about 15 feet. Totally dark environment.
e1e
3329405015_68dd5e66b2.jpg

e2e
3329404995_6278ff1b87.jpg

Milky Yes it seriously is this bright.
3330239862_fe6487c814.jpg

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
I love the beamshot comparison to the stock e1e. Talk about night and day!:huh:

To be fair I should have used a more modern led light for comparison like a ex10. But when I took the e1e picture I just laughed my butt off!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be fair I should have used a more modern led light for comparison like a ex10. But when I took the e1e picture I just laughed my butt off!

No... it clearly shows how anemic the E1e really is. Boggles my mind how dim the stock E1e is compared to more contemporary lights. Funny thing, though, I still keep one E1e in stock form just for..... :thinking: ah..... I don't know why, really. ;) Yeah, it'll go to Milky once I rebound a little from all the other flashlights (and a new MacMini) I bought recently! :broke:

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Funny thing, though, I still keep one E1e in stock form just for..... :thinking: ah..... I don't know why, really.

Yeah I had to dig through boxes in the closet to find my e1e head. Don't think it has ever been on the light! The day I got it a KL1 went on.

tsl

Enlightened
Quick shot to show the difference in spill between stock e1e e2e and milky

e1e
e2e
Milky Yes it seriously is this bright.

Holy cow! The Milky rocks!! How is the throw outside compared to the E2E?

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Holy cow! The Milky rocks!! How is the throw outside compared to the E2E?

It has some throw to it, If my neighbors don't turn on their outside light tonight I will get some pictures to post tomorrow.

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
here ya go....

All shots taken at 1/8 f3.5 400iso
The 2 buckets are roughly 30 feet away, and the wall is another 15 or so past the buckets. It looked brighter in person but I didn't want to mess with the images. All batteries were new no runtime.

e1e
3333905487_ac67e4f323.jpg

e2e
3333905497_4b836b20d8.jpg

Milky Hey I think I need to kill some weeds in my flowerbed.....
3334740386_8cd8e3cb08.jpg

Hope that helps.